Magic Band Lifespan

DGsAtBLT

DIS Veteran
Sorry, if there’s a sticky this should have been asked in.

Do Magic Bands die? I’ve got 3 showing up on MDE, an older style from 2014 and 2 newer ones from early 2018. Is there any way to know for sure if the newer two will still be working so I can pick different colours for upcoming trips?

The bands have 2 RFID chips in them. The passive one used for theme park admissions, purchases, room entrance and anything else that requires you to nearly touch the reader will basically work forever or until the band falls apart. The second chip has a battery that is used for things like pictures but on the rides. The battery is supposed to last a minimum of 2 years and likely 3.

So, the 2018 ones will work for everything but the 2014 will likely only work for touch/tap terminals.

The bands have 2 RFID chips in them. The passive one used for theme park admissions, purchases, room entrance and anything else that requires you to nearly touch the reader will basically work forever or until the band falls apart. The second chip has a battery that is used for things like pictures but on the rides. The battery is supposed to last a minimum of 2 years and likely 3.

So, the 2018 ones will work for everything but the 2014 will likely only work for touch/tap terminals.
Thank you!

That is a high quality post. Nice work!

Omg! I stumbled upon this discussion. Yesterday I reactivated my 4 year old magic band on a new annual pass. I was wondering why my ride pics didn’t show up. Now I know. Thank you!!

We used our magic bands for 5 straight years with no problem and only reason we upgraded was because of the new style. Not sure what the official shelf life is but ive spoke with other friends about this and they have all also used their magic bands for years without any problems. My personal opinion is to upgrade ur magic band after 2 years of use, even though chances are u could get another 3+ year out of it, its not really worth the risk that is does malfunction and cost u specific pics and the time and effort it takes to swap it out while in the park. But, if u have special style bands that u paid up for and the kids really love them, i would say ur save to use for 3 year without any issues but this is just from my own personal experience, im sure others have had different experiences. good luck with whatever u decide

Bring them all the Guest Relations. They will deactivate and recycle them
Probably not strictly necessary, but I'd suggest deactivating them in MDE yourself before turning them in--you can toggle which MB's and cards are active at any given time (when I found out about that I went back in and discovered there was a card active for my account that I probably threw away in 2015...).
We used our magic bands for 5 straight years with no problem and only reason we upgraded was because of the new style. Not sure what the official shelf life is but ive spoke with other friends about this and they have all also used their magic bands for years without any problems. My personal opinion is to upgrade ur magic band after 2 years of use, even though chances are u could get another 3+ year out of it, its not really worth the risk that is does malfunction and cost u specific pics and the time and effort it takes to swap it out while in the park. But, if u have special style bands that u paid up for and the kids really love them, i would say ur save to use for 3 year without any issues but this is just from my own personal experience, im sure others have had different experiences. good luck with whatever u decide
Re: specific band styles, as long as it's the newer version of the MB, you can use a little screwdriver to remove the puck (the oval with the Mickey head on it) from the band. So if you have an upgrade band that you or your kids really like but it's old and you're concerned about the battery, you can take a new puck from a free resort band and put it in your old upgrade band. The puck is what actually has the RFID chips in it, so you can change around wristbands all you want.

Old style, though, you're just out of luck. I've got a nice Donald Duck MB from 2015, and I've debated bringing it...but it's for sure dead in the battery and I think it's too much of a bummer to miss out on the long range features.

we deactivated our old bands on MDE and gave them to bell services when we checked in at OKW.

Probably not strictly necessary, but I'd suggest deactivating them in MDE yourself before turning them in--you can toggle which MB's and cards are active at any given time (when I found out about that I went back in and discovered there was a card active for my account that I probably threw away in 2015...).

Re: specific band styles, as long as it's the newer version of the MB, you can use a little screwdriver to remove the puck (the oval with the Mickey head on it) from the band. So if you have an upgrade band that you or your kids really like but it's old and you're concerned about the battery, you can take a new puck from a free resort band and put it in your old upgrade band. The puck is what actually has the RFID chips in it, so you can change around wristbands all you want.

Old style, though, you're just out of luck. I've got a nice Donald Duck MB from 2015, and I've debated bringing it...but it's for sure dead in the battery and I think it's too much of a bummer to miss out on the long range features.

That is nice to know, thanks for the info.

You could wear Donald Duck and throw a new one in a bag so you still get the photos but get to wear your band

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter