Magic Band mini-vent

We did a split stay at AKL and AOA. We didn't have any problems with the bands or our linked tickets/AP. Where we ran into a problem was with our dining plan credits. We had some leftover that were expiring at midnight and some that were just starting on our new plan. We also couldn't get the new credits active until we checked out of AKL. The system still had us checked in at AKL and we were at AOA before the official check out time. The CM called over a higher level CM and he took care of it. My husband and daughter were already at MK and their tickets worked fine.
With the dining credits we had to use out bands for the old and use our room key for the new, but had to ask the CM to swipe the card not tap.
Just like others said the magic band, KTTW or ticket media are just ways to access your account. Nothing is stored on the band or card it's all in your account. We have 2 sets of bands and APs that will work interchangeably.

No need to stress it will be seamless!!!

My only issue, so far, is that I still have to pull out my ID and AP/DVC cards to get my discount on purchases. So, I still have to carry some sort of wallet around, even if I didn't want a back-up payment method. Surely they could add that to my MDE.

Completely agree. This was a pain and you will not get a discount unless you ask for it. Now I'm in the habit of asking before each purchase but I've had to train myself to do this. The AP discount should automatically link to MDE.

So basically it sounds like I still need to carry everything I used to for back-up now. Credit card, DL, DVC card, park ticket/AP. And we have to have someone in shape to run back to the resort front desk when we can't unlock doors. That could be REALLY annoying at SSR or AKL.

HURRAY...I tried again this morning to link our final cranky ticket...and YES..I was successful. Next challenge will be booking FP+ for ten people. But we have until March. Have our choices and days already picked out! This really has been lts of work/planning!

We have an upcoming split-stay and noticed we can get MB for each resort. I "chatted" with a cast member yesterday who told me that while I can get 2 sets of MB, I don't have to -- everything will work with a single set. I'm going to keep checking back periodically and see if they answer changes.

We have an upcoming split-stay and noticed we can get MB for each resort. I "chatted" with a cast member yesterday who told me that while I can get 2 sets of MB, I don't have to -- everything will work with a single set. I'm going to keep checking back periodically and see if they answer changes.

The answer will most-assuredly change, because phone CMs often don't have the correct answers. LOL

But I can assure you that any band you have will access the same system with the same information.

The thing is, you WILL get those MBs. It's not a *can* situation. There's no current way to stop them from sending them to your house or have them handed to you at checkin. It's simply what is happening right now.

So my motto has been...might as well have some fun with them, and get them in different colors.

My only issue, so far, is that I still have to pull out my ID and AP/DVC cards to get my discount on purchases. So, I still have to carry some sort of wallet around, even if I didn't want a back-up payment method. Surely they could add that to my MDE.

Well we should ALL be carrying ID (and insurance cards!) with us anyway.

In the past, we had our room key & our parks pass (tickets) and kept them separate. We usually do a split stay, and would go first to the park, and later on to the next resort. So now if I'm understanding this, we're being forced to have our tickets being put on to our "bands" and won't be able to go to the park in the am...but have to first go to the new resort, which probably won't show that we've even checked out of the previous resort? And until so, we can't update the bands and be allowed in to the park that morning?

This is so confusing! AND so frustrating!

Shouldn't the band/park ticket work first thing in the morning? After all, check out is not until 11:00. Will we for sure have to go to the new resort?

In the past, we just vacated our DVC room, and didn't bother to go to the desk and wait in line to check out. So now we have that extra chore to do.

I don't understand exactly what MDE is, and is it different than the Magic Bands? Can we sign up for Fast Pass + using MDE, but not use the Magic Bands? I thought our tickets had to be purchased and on the account before we could get Fast Passes.

I'm hoping someone can clarify all this for me. I just don't get it all.

Thanks so much.

In the past, we had our room key & our parks pass (tickets) and kept them separate. We usually do a split stay, and would go first to the park, and later on to the next resort. So now if I'm understanding this, we're being forced to have our tickets being put on to our "bands" and won't be able to go to the park in the am...but have to first go to the new resort, which probably won't show that we've even checked out of the previous resort? And until so, we can't update the bands and be allowed in to the park that morning?

This is so confusing! AND so frustrating!

Shouldn't the band/park ticket work first thing in the morning? After all, check out is not until 11:00. Will we for sure have to go to the new resort?

In the past, we just vacated our DVC room, and didn't bother to go to the desk and wait in line to check out. So now we have that extra chore to do.

I don't understand exactly what MDE is, and is it different than the Magic Bands? Can we sign up for Fast Pass + using MDE, but not use the Magic Bands? I thought our tickets had to be purchased and on the account before we could get Fast Passes.

I'm hoping someone can clarify all this for me. I just don't get it all.

Thanks so much.

No, you do NOT need to go to your new resort before going to a park. Yes, you will get 2 sets of magic bands, but they are able to be used interchangeably. We did not need to check out of our first resort and had zero problems at the second resort when we went to check-in (AFTER going to a park all day). MDE is simply the software/website that Disney is now using. You make your resort reservation, which allows you to then customize and receive magic bands. If you do not customize them, you WILL be given bands at check-in. Then, you purchase your tickets, link them to your MDE account, and 60 days out, you will be able to book fast pass plus. It really is much easier than it all sounds.

We just got home yesterday. The discount for annual pass we needed the pass. We were told by CMs they had to check the annual pass so someone different could just use the magic bands, We also needed a photo ID. I had a few ocassions where my magic band had trouble opening the room. After a few tries it worked. On a couple of our days there I used the app in the pak and got fast passes.

Had one night stay at All Star Sports, one night stay at Old Key West and after 7 night cruise finished with 3 night stay at AKV. 3 different sets of bands, left each one in the car and used the KTW card that came along with it. I personally did not care for the band/bracelet and the card pretty much did the same thing the band supposedly does.

I cannot imagine the cost of the production of the box & band in addition to the costs of labor to deliver them. I was amazed to watch as the boxes were delivered to the resort. Each box neatly arranged on a rolling stand designed and built specifically for the boxes. The size of the band box that might hold 2 - 6 bands would typically hold 250-500 KTW cards.

"What would be the problem with receiving more than one set of bands" one might ask." Someone is paying for the expense of bands, who might that be.

My take, I prefer lower costs and the card in my pocket. "A lost card?, low cost duplicate". "A lost band?"

I am sure on future trips I might see the advantage for the consumer. On this trip, I did not see where the band accomplished anything that the KTW card did not.

debdisneycruiser said:
I am sure on future trips I might see the advantage for the consumer. On this trip, I did not see where the band accomplished anything that the KTW card did not.

I found it really hard to wear my KTTW on my wrist.

I found it really hard to wear my KTTW on my wrist.

And we love the bands! So easy and convenient and we had no problems the whole 16 days. I do feel bad for those that don't like them as I have a feeling that eventually it will be the only option.

The thing is, you WILL get those MBs. It's not a *can* situation. There's no current way to stop them from sending them to your house or have them handed to you at checkin. It's simply what is happening right now.

So my motto has been...might as well have some fun with them, and get them in different colors.

Well we should ALL be carrying ID (and insurance cards!) with us anyway.

Are you staying that, even if I do not confirm my shipping address online, they will still ship them to me? Or will they just try to give me a new set at check-in? If they are going to ship them to me anyway, I want to make sure I customize them.

TIA

You have the option of opting out of the bands but calling in to do so is recommended. You can still get KTTW cards but they will work the same as MBs as the transition continues. I am all for it. They worked great for us.

I was one who was very skeptical about the bands and the FP+ before our Holiday trip, but I have to admit they made things a lot easier. The biggest issue we had with them was that we really did not use many of the fast passes on our bands. We were mostly able to ride and see what we wanted without waiting for our FP times. I'd say we used about half of them or less, and we found trying to change times with the app to be spotty at best, and time consuming at worst, so we quit trying to do that part.

Yes, you do need to carry your ID and also your DVC card, but I also needed my CC, since we didn't link anything to our account for charging. I actually put the 3 cards I needed in my old pass holder, and it was no big deal in my pocket.

We found the bands easy to use as long as you realized you needed to be sure the Mickey on the band was flat against the lighted Mickey or door sensor. We also especially liked using the fast passes for shows with the bands. No need to drag a key card out of your pocket or anything...much easier than using a card when you can wear it.

We are psyched about the bands and kind of bummed we're only getting one set so far :)

I think people probably overestimate the cost of the bands. The military gives RFID bands out free as part of their airshow walkthrough displays (you use the bands in the displays to trigger custom videos, etc). You keep the bracelet when you leave. I found a box of similar bands, 500 for $75, and that isn't even a bulk price. The perceived value is much higher than the actual value; it has more to do with the shipping and presentation than the cost of the bands. But you must have faith that Disney is still making money :) Don't worry too much about the mouse's wallet.

I am sure they have done testing that reveals people spend MORE with the bands... and I'm sure it's enough to offset the shipping and manufacture.

You got that right! Makes it very easy to spend $ when you don't have to reach for your wallet, room key, etc. We've stayed 3 times since this "test" started and got a new set each time! DW likes to change colors to match her outfit of the day.:rolleyes1 Your band(s) are linked to your account, so once you do that you're all set. I can wear any of the 3 I have - all work as a room key, PAP, charge card, FP+, pool access at SAB, entrance to resort gate. The only thing not linkable for me yet it my TIW card, but they say it's coming! As Tony says, "Theyrrrreee Great!":cool1:

Are you staying that, even if I do not confirm my shipping address online, they will still ship them to me? Or will they just try to give me a new set at check-in? If they are going to ship them to me anyway, I want to make sure I customize them.

TIA

As far as I know they will be shipped or handed to you. Might as well customize them. With the two I got in October (customized one then thought I left it at home so I got a grey one at the resort) and the 4 coming up for our January trip with 4 separate reservations, I'll have all colors but yellow. And I like it that way. :)

DH and DS aren't as thrilled as I am, but they're trying to have some fun with it. :)

You have the option of opting out of the bands but calling in to do so is recommended. You can still get KTTW cards but they will work the same as MBs as the transition continues. I am all for it. They worked great for us.

Except for when you're actually at the resort, where is the opt out spot?

I think people probably overestimate the cost of the bands. The military gives RFID bands out free as part of their airshow walkthrough displays (you use the bands in the displays to trigger custom videos, etc). You keep the bracelet when you leave. I found a box of similar bands, 500 for $75, and that isn't even a bulk price. The perceived value is much higher than the actual value; it has more to do with the shipping and presentation than the cost of the bands. But you must have faith that Disney is still making money :) Don't worry too much about the mouse's wallet.

I think so, too. Even with the shipping, you just KNOW that they have some sort of AMAZING deal with UPS right now. Companies have amazing pull with shipping companies; the prices they charge us are certainly not the prices they are being charged!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter