Magic band plus- confirmed news from Disney.

We are a family of MKs. I will buy them for my kids, but I don't see myself or my husband buying them.

I'm most disappointed that they can't be used to open room doors at the resorts or to pay for things. That's a MAJOR fail.

I think they will be handy for my son when scanning into the LL for his DAS, that's pretty much it. If we didn't have DAS, I honestly don't think we would buy them since we don't buy Genie+. Until you can use the for full functionality like paying for things by tapping, and opening hotel room doors, it's not worth it to me. I'll still need to use my phone for those things so I might as well save the $50.

Actually, now that I think about it, it won't really help with DAS either unless we all have them. We still would have to scan in everyone else using the phone. Hmm....not really seeing the benefit. I couldn't care less about the interactive games in the parks.
Agree with this. The tap tap is what would convince me to buy one, it was honestly what a friend was most excited about too. I wonder why they didn't add that functionality.

We are a family of MKs. I will buy them for my kids, but I don't see myself or my husband buying them.

I'm most disappointed that they can't be used to open room doors at the resorts or to pay for things. That's a MAJOR fail.

I think they will be handy for my son when scanning into the LL for his DAS, that's pretty much it. If we didn't have DAS, I honestly don't think we would buy them since we don't buy Genie+. Until you can use the for full functionality like paying for things by tapping, and opening hotel room doors, it's not worth it to me. I'll still need to use my phone for those things so I might as well save the $50.

Actually, now that I think about it, it won't really help with DAS either unless we all have them. We still would have to scan in everyone else using the phone. Hmm....not really seeing the benefit. I couldn't care less about the interactive games in the parks.
Well this is a bummer. I was so excited for this technology to come to DL. If I can't use it to unlock the door to the pool and my room along with paying for stuff I am definitely not buying one. Darn it!

I don’t think MB+ will be worth the price at DL if it doesn’t have the full functions it does at WDW. Meaning opening doors or the automatic upload of ride pics without tapping. I could care less about flashing lights during fireworks and playing games but I DO like those features. I’m sure it’ll have ‘tap to pay’, DL isn’t going to bypass that moneymaker. And I am looking forward to the interactivity with my Apple Watch for sure and it sounds as if DL will have that.

For those of us who visit both resorts, I’m wondering how MB+ will ‘port’ between MDE and the DL app. I’d think you’d have to ‘detach’ it from MDE and ‘attach’ it to your DL ticket then vice versa. I sure hope they make it ‘friendly’ for those of us who are not super savvy.

For those of us who visit both resorts, I’m wondering how MB+ will ‘port’ between MDE and the DL app. I’d think you’d have to ‘detach’ it from MDE and ‘attach’ it to your DL ticket then vice versa. I sure hope they make it ‘friendly’ for those of us who are not super savvy.
Currently, you can't "detach" a MagicBand (any version) from MDE (WDW app). There has been no official word from Disney in regards to being able to use a MB+ from WDW at DLR.

I’m sure it’ll have ‘tap to pay’, DL isn’t going to bypass that moneymaker.

It will not have that. It's been confirmed. Probably because it's linked to a ticket, not a person, and a ticket can't have a credit card on file. I really wish they would find a way to link the band to the DL app user so that it could be used for tap to pay. Even now, though, you can't use tap to pay using your Disneyland phone app either. You can use Apple or Google Pay, but can only use your credit card on file in the DL app for mobile order and mobile checkout at the stores.

Currently, you can't "detach" a MagicBand (any version) from MDE (WDW app). There has been no official word from Disney in regards to being able to use a MB+ from WDW at DLR.
You shouldn't have to detach anything from anywhere. WDW MagicBands (even before MB+) can be used at Walt Disney World, and then at Aulani, and then back at Walt Disney World again. There's no de-linking from My Disney Experience required to activate the Aulani functionality.

I would be very surprised and disappointed if these aren't immediately cross-compatible on Day 1. I expect the only people who will have difficulty are the people who use different email addresses for different things.

WDW and DLR's systems don't speak to each other in any meaningful way, so it's incredibly unlikely that DLR's system would know that an MB+ was already connected at WDW, and vice-versa.

More than likely: the DLR app will see the MB+ paired to your phone and act like it's a brand-new, completely unused MB+.

So my observation from visiting last weekend is that they recently "upgraded" the LL scanners, presumably in preparation for MB+, and they broke them for those of us using phones to scan multiple tickets.

I used to be able to put my phone in the scanner and swipe left after the green light to quickly scan the tickets of everyone in my party (since I'm the designated trip manager). This past weekend I had to take the phone out and reinsert it for each and every ticket, which with a party of 10 added significant time to the LL scanning process. Several cast members mentioned that this was part of a recent "upgrade" that made the old technique not work.

So my observation from visiting last weekend is that they recently "upgraded" the LL scanners, presumably in preparation for MB+, and they broke them for those of us using phones to scan multiple tickets.

I used to be able to put my phone in the scanner and swipe left after the green light to quickly scan the tickets of everyone in my party (since I'm the designated trip manager). This past weekend I had to take the phone out and reinsert it for each and every ticket, which with a party of 10 added significant time to the LL scanning process. Several cast members mentioned that this was part of a recent "upgrade" that made the old technique not work.

Thanks for sharing this here. Makes me think it's coming sooner rather than later, which is great for us.

Just watched a YT video on the Bounty Hunter game in Star Wars land or at least the version in WDW. I admit it looks pretty cool however it's a little awkward that you have to use both the Disney Play app AND the magic band simultaneously. You seem to earn random credits that don't mean anything. If there was some kind of prize, even a small token, I imagine it would be wildly popular.

Still, for the right audience it will be fun. It reminds me ALOT of the Pokemon thing people were doing a few years ago. I didn't get the appeal lol but plenty of other people did.

Can I just say, “not supported” doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t work, right? I wouldn’t be surprised if MB and MB2 works for all RFID functions at DLR. I also won’t be disappointed if they don’t.

I’m sure folks with MB and MB2 will give it a try from day one and we’ll know soon enough…

Can I just say, “not supported” doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t work, right? I wouldn’t be surprised if MB and MB2 works for all RFID functions at DLR. I also won’t be disappointed if they don’t.

I’m sure folks with MB and MB2 will give it a try from day one and we’ll know soon enough…
There won't be a way to attach an MB or MB2 to a DLR ticket - the app likely won't support it (at least for now). Having one attached to a WDW won't work (separate systems).

Do we think that the magicband+ currently sold for WDW will be the same/supported at DLR? I'm going to WDW in January and have DLR magic key.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter