Magic Bands

The fact they are no longer offering them for free hopefully doesn't mean they are going to move away from them and push everything to smart phones. While we all pretty much have phones .. having an app open.

I cannot imagine any business case where Disney does away with Magic Bands for a very long time. Not only did they spend $2Billion on the underlying technologies and infrastructure that support the use of magic bands, but guests using magic bands is a money maker for them. It's so easy to purchase something by using your magic band and not even think about it - until you get the credit card bill.

Initially, the bands were given away to assure adoption of the system: mission accomplished! The fact that Disney is releasing multiple new MB designs every week, including tons of limited edition bands, tells me that Disney has figured out that they can make a lot of money on people collecting them. They've become another line of merch, just like pins, ears, and T-shirts. They're cheap to produce and sell well.

Disney no longer needs to give them away to assure adoption. The experiment last year with the "premium" bands that resort guests could get at a "reduced" rate instead of the basic colored ones, proved that beyond a doubt. The gobbling up of a limited supply of previously unwanted band styles at a "reduced" price was something of a feeding frenzy, and still is, btw. Change the price of the basic bands to $5 (cost to produce a band of any design is well under $1). Most folks will then opt for a $10-$15 "premium" band (hey, it's only another 5 bucks!). And a large percentage of people will just decide to purchase their favorite band from Shop Disney, and not be limited by just the options Disney chooses to give. Can you say "upcharge"? There's some serious cash to be made here.

Will they provide guests the option to use their phones? Sure. But as an additional option, not as a replacement for MB. And they'll figure a way to monetize it too.

Steve

There are some stands in DL that only accept cash...is this true in WDW?
thanks!

Not sure if this will still be true at DL when they reopen.

At WDW, this used to be the case for balloon sellers and a few mobile carts. But now the sellers all have scanners for MagicBand or CC scanning.

How long are the Magic Bands good for? It's been 2 years since our last trip and wondering if they will still work in March or if I should go ahead and order new ones to be safe. Don't really want to use my phone all the time during our trip.

How long are the Magic Bands good for? It's been 2 years since our last trip and wondering if they will still work in March or if I should go ahead and order new ones to be safe. Don't really want to use my phone all the time during our trip.
They will work forever for things like opening resort door, getting into parks, getting on FP rides (if that returns). The only things they may stop doing after 2-3 years is recognizing you for on ride pictures. That’s the only part of the band that is battery operated. Other than pictures on rides the bands will work forever.

They will work forever for things like opening resort door, getting into parks, getting on FP rides (if that returns). The only things they may stop doing after 2-3 years is recognizing you for on ride pictures. That’s the only part of the band that is battery operated. Other than pictures on rides the bands will work forever.

Do you have to do anything to "reactivate" old MBs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter