Magic Kingdom and pit bulls

I own a pit bull and he is in no way dangerous in any stretch of the imagination (nor is he a service dog). Pits are amazing dogs unless they are in a certain environment and taught certain things. It's not the dog, it's the owner. My pit will attack - but only with kisses. I certainly don't own him to feel powerful - I own him because I love him.
Love this. Wish more people understood this.

The problem with this breed and some others is that they can be very loving and well trained, however, any dog will bite given the right circumstance and when A pit bull bites, it can be lethal due to the dogs build and dna.

One vignette I have told on the boards before, is we were in MK just walking through onto Main Street, and a woman walked through with a very hyper excited dog, and a shabbily made vest describing it as an emotional support companion.

It was cute dog but had no discipline whatsoever. The lady let the leash go about 10 feet and CM's SWARMED. Like they appeared of out nowhere and did not look happy.

I do not know what the result was of course, however I personally have confidence CM's are going to crackdown on suspect situations.

This is one of the reasons (in my opinion), that we have heard a relatively modest number of bad stories in regards to dogs at resorts.

It's their potential that makes me nervous. Pitties are extremely strong and athletic with a serious bite psi. If they decide to hurt you you will get hurt. I tend to be very careful around all large bull, mastiff and guard-type breeds.

Our 11 pound Shih Tzu may go rogue one day and try to kill me but no matter how vicious or murderous her intent may be I'm pretty sure a swift kick would resolve things. OTOH, my mother was mauled by a Chow (one we'd known for years and had never had any sort of problems with) and 5 adults had a hard time getting it away from her.

You say your dog is a sweetie pie that wouldn't hurt a fly but I'm bebopping around a theme park and don't know you or how much control you have of your animal. When it comes to strange dogs I'll take my chances with a snippy chihuahua over the most even tempered pit bull.

Ok so to push against your thought on Pitbulls and the Bite strength. Pitbulls for one do not have the strongest bites of any domesticated dogs, that is a myth. Scientifically English Mastiffs actually have stronger bites. They create more Pressure per square inch then Pitbulls, In saying that a human who bites another human could also kill a person because we as humans have the physical abilities of biting with on average close to 150 PSI for Males and about 105 PSI for females. Which is strong enough to kill as there are countless examples of human bite force in crimes. What you might be right on is that yes Pitbulls do have a strong bite but the Myth that they bite the hardest or bite and do not let go or have a stronger jaw then other breeds is just that myths. This has been tested by science again and again, please do some research instead of just regurgitating what you have heard from other people, I know there arent as many well funded public libraries any more but as a academic I would be amiss not to tell you to check your sources first. What has lead to many people believeing these myths is the rise of dog fighting and the easier availability of finding pitbulls then other breeds. Pitbulls when it comes to dog fighting which I am violently against have many other traits other then bite strength that determine there fitness in the that horrible sport. I understand most people just like to believe what they hear and see on t.v but please realize that isnt the best source of info.

As a fyi, I dont have a pitbull, I have a 20 pound mutt, but in saying that, not owning a particular breed doesnt prohibit me or anyone from actually learning and researching scientific facts.

The woman that takes her 3-5 tie-dyed poodles wearing sneakers is equally bad. They're always at Epcot for Illuminations and react poorly. She keeps the smaller ones in a covered stroller, while she walks the two full-sized ones next to her - but they always freak out when Illuminations starts. I'm shocked that one of them hasn't bit someone because they're so freaked out.

I recently heard of her on the Disboards FB page. Most do not appear to be a fan, at all and reflect your observations!

I never said pittie bites are the wors or even close to the worst. I only remarked that they do have a strong bite and are also extremely strong animals. If someone points a dog at me and says, "Get her!" I would much rather that dog be a Shih Tzu than a pit bull. I am catuious around all unfamiliar large dogs.

30BDB3CC-A99D-42F5-B52D-1510B514D8CB.gif 30BDB3CC-A99D-42F5-B52D-1510B514D8CB.gif

Dog bite.com has done a lot of research into the danger of various breeds of dogs. These are stats for the last 13 years of dog attacks that resulted in deaths. The site has details of many of these death from pit bull attacks. You should read them to get a different perspective than what these pittie embassators are flinging our way!

This "emotional support animal" thing is totally out of hand. If you legitimately need an emotional support animal, then you need to provide proof of that before entering the park. Period. Otherwise everyone and their brother can claim they need an emotional support animal and pretty soon there will be pets everywhere. It's such common sense I don't understand where the issue is.

Ok so to push against your thought on Pitbulls and the Bite strength. Pitbulls for one do not have the strongest bites of any domesticated dogs, that is a myth. Scientifically English Mastiffs actually have stronger bites. They create more Pressure per square inch then Pitbulls, In saying that a human who bites another human could also kill a person because we as humans have the physical abilities of biting with on average close to 150 PSI for Males and about 105 PSI for females. Which is strong enough to kill as there are countless examples of human bite force in crimes. What you might be right on is that yes Pitbulls do have a strong bite but the Myth that they bite the hardest or bite and do not let go or have a stronger jaw then other breeds is just that myths. This has been tested by science again and again, please do some research instead of just regurgitating what you have heard from other people, I know there arent as many well funded public libraries any more but as a academic I would be amiss not to tell you to check your sources first. What has lead to many people believeing these myths is the rise of dog fighting and the easier availability of finding pitbulls then other breeds. Pitbulls when it comes to dog fighting which I am violently against have many other traits other then bite strength that determine there fitness in the that horrible sport. I understand most people just like to believe what they hear and see on t.v but please realize that isnt the best source of info.

I’m sure research can be found supporting different views of this breed and others like it. The truth is that if attacked by this type of breed, the outcome will not be good...

Last edited:
I really don't mind people bringing dogs. Hell, most of them behave better than a lot of peoples' kids.

Yesterday on the 12th of February Nana and I were at a very crowded Magic Kingdom watching the muppets when this big guy walks by with his pit bull on a leash. So it’s ok to make people uncomfortable as long as your needs are met?
I think Disney should rethink their policy on these social anxiety support dogs. Just imagine what could happen!
What are your thoughts?
I love dogs (including pit bulls- I've had one) but don't want dogs at the parks.

View attachment 320558 View attachment 320558

Dog bite.com has done a lot of research into the danger of various breeds of dogs. These are stats for the last 13 years of dog attacks that resulted in deaths. The site has details of many of these death from pit bull attacks. You should read them to get a different perspective than what these pittie embassators are flinging our way!

First off I believe you are trying to reference dogbite.org because the one above isn’t a actual site. Second this isn’t a unbiased site and if you read there websites about us you would see they are lobiests for breed restriction legislation specifically pit bulls which is almost the definition of a biased source, In saying that even that site makes a point that the pit bull population is much larger then any of the other breeds so with a larger population density you would have a larger percentage of bites including ones with death. Third off being that the info I have given was from peer reviewed scientific articles and journals aka academic easily identifiable and evaluateable. The sources on Dogbite.org are either themselves or articles written about dog bites from the 70s to late 80s. That in and of itself is another sign of a uncreditable source.

So again in the most nicest of ways please understand you are entitled to believe whatever you want to believe but Do your best to get sources in a scientific way so as not to spread agenda driven info from a unreliable source, our world already has enough of that.

I have only one thing to say about that. First, no matter the breed, I think it is criminal to bring a dog into a theme park environment. Masses of people, noise, no normal things that a dog sees on a daily basis, the heat, especially the ground and many more reasons. That said, my daughter owns a pit bull and she is the sweetest dog I have ever run into. Strong, you bet she is, but, gentle as a lamb. I have pictures of her with her head on my 4 year old granddaughters lap and she was as tolerant of all the things that 4 year old could do. Any dog that is trained to be violent will be violent, but, not all pits are trained to be that. In fact, they originally were used to help with watching after kids back years ago.

But, if my daughter were to take her to a theme park there would be no end to the lecture I would throw at her. Sometimes we can just expose animals to too much stimulation and as we have seen over and over, even humans don't always respond positively to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter