• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Kingdom closed

Having been there since 7 am, I was actually surprised by the “closed” alert. Lines were long, but not crazy long. I’ve seen longer in the summer. We rode 8 rides by 10:30. The crowds didn’t get crazy until we arrived on Main St. around 12:30 pm. Main St. was packed. The rest of the park was just busy.

Question.....FOr the lower level closures, if you are staying on site, what is the procedure to enter the "closed" park? I assume it involves the swipe of a magic band.

TIA

We get the Friday, hopefully out of Philly before a snow storm.

Question.....FOr the lower level closures, if you are staying on site, what is the procedure to enter the "closed" park? I assume it involves the swipe of a magic band.

TIA

We get the Friday, hopefully out of Philly before a snow storm.

We were there today and they let us through by swiping our MagicBands to confirm.

Having been there since 7 am, I was actually surprised by the “closed” alert. Lines were long, but not crazy long. I’ve seen longer in the summer. We rode 8 rides by 10:30. The crowds didn’t get crazy until we arrived on Main St. around 12:30 pm. Main St. was packed. The rest of the park was just busy.

We had a very similar experience. We arrived today at 6:30am---and were shocked that no one was there. We were in the very front for rope drop---we pretty much walked right on everything for the first 2 hours when we stopped for our CRT ADR breakfast---when we finished breakfast around 10--things were busy like they usually are during that time in the summer---but we just used our 3 fast passes and then headed out around 12:30.

It was insane. Some parts of the park were shoulder to shoulder. The hub was gridlock. I felt sorry for anyone who didn't have an ADR. The line for Casey's was brutal every time I was in the area, as was most every other quick service place I saw. The dessert party was a life saver.

It took our bus over an hour of travel time. Anyone driving was looking at much longer.

Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY.

If it gets to a Phase 4 closure ADRs won't get you in, but you may still be charged the fee. At that point you would be considered a no show. And typically they won't reimburse you for anything prepaid. It is up to the guest to make their ADR and dessert parties. That includes being in the park.

Having said that, it is highly unlikely the park will hit a Phase 4. You should be ok.

I doubt very much Disney would charge a guest for a reservation when Disney would not allow them to enter the park. I don't think Disney handles business that way.

I doubt very much Disney would charge a guest for a reservation when Disney would not allow them to enter the park. I don't think Disney handles business that way.
I also think the credit card company/bank would be willing to listen to a disputed charge claim made in that situation. “They refused to let me enter...”

I also think the credit card company/bank would be willing to listen to a disputed charge claim made in that situation. “They refused to let me enter...”

I agree, there is NO way it would be legal to charge someone when you wouldn't allow them to enter the establishment they had a reservation at. No way.

I posted this in another thread, we didn't even bother with MK today...we know better. But as we were heading to HS around 10:00, one of the roads we take goes over one of the roads leading to the MK auto plaza. The line was backed up past where we crossed over, which is FAR from the plaza.

HS was not bad whatsoever.
We went to Hollywood Studios around 11 this morning with 3 fast passes. Picked up a fourth for TSM, a fifth for Star Tours and a sixth for RNR. It was not bad at all. The decorations and atmosphere at HS felt more festive and Christmassy to us than MK has for the past week. HS went all out this year.

i am just wondering with the big crowds if anyone tried Mobile ordering and if so how did it work

We went to Hollywood Studios around 11 this morning with 3 fast passes. Picked up a fourth for TSM, a fifth for Star Tours and a sixth for RNR. It was not bad at all. The decorations and atmosphere at HS felt more festive and Christmassy to us than MK has for the past week. HS went all out this year.

Yeah...once again it seems the really big crowds were at the Magic Kingdom and everywhere else(save Pandora) were fine.

I agree, there is NO way it would be legal to charge someone when you wouldn't allow them to enter the establishment they had a reservation at. No way.

Seems like that would be ready made for a lawsuit that ends in a settlement. Especially when you phrase it a little differently. “So you were raking in money hand over fist. So much so that you could not stuff any more people in your giant park and then you charged these people for not showing up when you set the rules that kept them out. On Christmas.”

It’s possible they could do this but I agree with the pp who said this isn’t how Disney typically does business. It seems like the type of bad customer service / bad press they typically try to avoid.

Well, playing devil's advocate, the customer knew when they made the reservation what the terms and conditions were (i.e., if you don't show for any reason you will be charged a no show fee) and the customer would have been able to enter the park without restriction if they arrived early enough (arrival time is under the control of the customer and their plans, not Disney), so if they arrived too late, and Disney could not admit any further guests due to capacity (set for safety) it would technically be the customer's fault not Disney's. If you make an ADR at a park on your arrival day during a time where capacity closures have historically occurred, you are the one taking the risk. I could see Disney winning a credit card dispute with this information (I used to work the credit card disputes for a company I worked for, that also charged guests no show fees and provided we could prove the customer knew at the time they booked that if they didn't show they would be charged the fee, we never lost a case).

Disney might practice going above and beyond to make a guest happy and avoid negative publicity, but they would have enough on their side to make it perfectly legal to post the no show charge and make it stick if they wanted to.

Well, playing devil's advocate, the customer knew when they made the reservation what the terms and conditions were (i.e., if you don't show for any reason you will be charged a no show fee) and the customer would have been able to enter the park without restriction if they arrived early enough (arrival time is under the control of the customer and their plans, not Disney), so if they arrived too late, and Disney could not admit any further guests due to capacity (set for safety) it would technically be the customer's fault not Disney's. If you make an ADR at a park on your arrival day during a time where capacity closures have historically occurred, you are the one taking the risk. I could see Disney winning a credit card dispute with this information (I used to work the credit card disputes for a company I worked for, that also charged guests no show fees and provided we could prove the customer knew at the time they booked that if they didn't show they would be charged the fee, we never lost a case).

Disney might practice going above and beyond to make a guest happy and avoid negative publicity, but they would have enough on their side to make it perfectly legal to post the no show charge and make it stick if they wanted to.

I would bet there are way more people who are unaware that Disney has ever closed due to capacity than there are who know this fact. I don't think Disney would have a leg to stand on if this ever went to court. I also don't think Disney would ever do this. Not very magical.

A phase four closure has never occurred during Christmas week. I'd dispute it if I were charged.

Besides, it's not like Disney would lose money over it. If they knew the park was closed to everyone, all they would have to do is whip out their "walk ins accepted" sign to fill their tables. I bet the lines would form quickly.

I totally disagree and believe Disney would not have a leg to stand on since it was Disney that prevented the customer from getting into their restaurant. You cannot put the liability on the customer because they didn't get to the park first thing in the morning OR because at this time of the year the parks sometimes fill to capacity. The customer has no way of knowing if the parks are going to close or when. I also think the a credit card dispute would be in favor of the customer. The bottom line is, Disney would not let the customer get to the facility so the customer could keep their reservation. This is not on the customer at all, its on Disney.

IF Disney wanted to hold the customer responsible they would have to put a disclaimer in the reservation at the time it was made that advised the customer they would have to get to the park at park opening, since at this time of year, the parks sometimes close due to capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter