Magic Kingdom Closing at 4:30 on 5/3

We were there Feb 8th which was the second of the two originally scheduled appreciation nights, so with a 4:30pm park closing. It was also grey and rainy and cold (hence the postponement), but as a result, everything was really *really* low wait times.

I LOVE a rainy morning! Last December I was meeting newbie friends for early entry at AK. The morning was grey and drippy so they opted to sleep in a bit. They arrived around 8:30 am. I was at the front of the AK tapstiles for EE rope drop (7:30 that day) and by 10:00 had ridden:
Flight of Passage
Navi River Journey
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur

I could have also seen the 10:30 Lion King Show but needed to meet up before it finished. They had only ridden Flight of Passage after after an almost two hour wait in line!

I'm really struggling with whether or not to adapt our plans because of this.

Currently, we were going to do a late-start AK day on 5/3 because of being up late for EPCOT extended hours the night before. And then was going to do an MK day on 5/4.

But now I'm worried that MK on 5/4 is going to be level 10 crowd crazy town because of the early close on 5/3. I've heard anecdotal claims that crowds at MK on early closing days can be really low. So, considering should we switch our reservation to MK for 5/3 and plan to get up early that day also. Find something different to do on 5/4 (probably hop back to MK though for extended evening hours there).

Not sure what the best move here is! Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

But now I'm worried that MK on 5/4 is going to be level 10 crowd crazy town because of the early close on 5/3. I've heard anecdotal claims that crowds at MK on early closing days can be really low. So, considering should we switch our reservation to MK for 5/3 and plan to get up early that day also. Find something different to do on 5/4 (probably hop back to MK though for extended evening hours there).

You can look at what happened the previous two times that the cast appreciation evening was scheduled through Touring Plans data here for January (scroll down to see the 24th-26th) and here for February (you want to look at 8-10th). As you can see the early closing days are really really low - and that's not anecdotal, that's their wait time data. And the day either side do absolutely hit 10/10 level crowds. I think the Jan 26th was their first recorded level 10 crowd in two years, so even more busy than during the holidays.

I'm really struggling with whether or not to adapt our plans because of this.

Currently, we were going to do a late-start AK day on 5/3 because of being up late for EPCOT extended hours the night before. And then was going to do an MK day on 5/4.

Not sure what the best move here is! Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

5/4 will be worse than doing MK on Christmas Day. Not only will it be absolutely packed because of the short day before it, but they won't have the extra staff they have around the holidays and other busy times. Probably the worst day of 2022 to go to MK in my opinion.

For people that go all the time, that's great. A lot of people forget, though, that, for many, WDW is a once in a lifetime trip. I'm sure parents of the 5 and 7 year old kids, on a 3-4 day visit to WDW, that chose that day for their MK Park reservation, and have ADRs in the other parks on the other days, probably don't have as positive of an outlook about the change.

For the second time in the same thread, I couldn't possibly disagree more. Having experienced these short days several times, you can get substantially more accomplished during this day than in a regular full day. You also take home the great memories of the really short lines, and uncrowded walkways, and get to spend the evening at the resort pool or Disney Springs. Whether its a once in a lifetime trip or local AP holders, this is THE day to spend at MK.

5/4 will be worse than doing MK on Christmas Day. Not only will it be absolutely packed because of the short day before it, but they won't have the extra staff they have around the holidays and other busy times. Probably the worst day of 2022 to go to MK in my opinion.
I'm guessing that you might also want to avoid HS on 5/4. This will be the first "May the Fourth" since Galaxy's Edge opened in August 2019 where the influence of the pandemic seems to be decreasing and people are coming back again. So plan for an AK or Epcot day...

I don’t know what to do myself. We are just doing 4 park day and I have May1- AK, May 2- MK, May 3- Epcot and May 4- HS. Thinking I may switch Epcot and HS due the above mentioned May 4 situation. I really do like the fireworks though and do not have a hopper. Would love the short lines there will likely be at MK on the 3rd but want the fireworks. Do we think May 1 would be less busy than May 2 even though it’s a weekend day?

I don’t know what to do myself. We are just doing 4 park day and I have May1- AK, May 2- MK, May 3- Epcot and May 4- HS. Thinking I may switch Epcot and HS due the above mentioned May 4 situation. I really do like the fireworks though and do not have a hopper. Would love the short lines there will likely be at MK on the 3rd but want the fireworks. Do we think May 1 would be less busy than May 2 even though it’s a weekend day?
If you did MK on5/3 maybe you could watch the fireworks from one of the monorail resorts. Win-win!

If you did MK on5/3 maybe you could watch the fireworks from one of the monorail resorts. Win-win!
I think that is what we are going to do. Might as well take advantage of a slow day in MK- just hoping that part is true and the crowd will be lower! I also have a 2 year old so who knows if we would make it to fireworks anyway! We tend to rope drop and leave later in the afternoon and don’t make it all night. MK was the only park we had been planning to close out.

I don't think they run the fireworks at the cast service celebration and if they do, it isn't the regular show.

So, who works the rides and restaurants during the CM party? :idea:
Cast members, not everyone is celebrating a milestone anniversary. Those who are won't be scheduled to work. There are plenty of CM's available, it's not nearly as busy as if it were open for guests so they don't need as many CM's. And, not all attractions are open.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter