Magic Mobile for park entry?

Nick6300

DIS Veteran
How is Magic Mobile working at park entrances? I'm not versed on how it works. Are most people using old magic bands (or buying new ones) to circumvent using this app feature for park entry?

We used it on a spontaneous one day trip last month when we didn't have our MB's (they were at home, we came over from Daytona Beach for the day). Worked great! Tickets loaded into our "wallet" on iphone - you just select the ticket, tap it at the reader and you're all set! We could each have our ticket on our phone if desired, I had all on my phone as my son didn't use his phone so one of us would just pull his up for him. No issues getting into parks.

Most people are still using magic bands from what I can tell.

I used my Apple Watch a couple of times to get in on my last trip and there is a slight lag compared to tapping with a band. It’s definitely noticeable, enough to be annoying at rope drop. I suspect that’s why most people I saw with watches are still using bands.

I used my Apple watch almost exclusively the last 5 days with no issues. Only exception was that the handheld reader to verify my Rise of the Resistance boarding group couldn't read my watch so I pulled my magic band out of my bag. Imagine I could have also shown them the boarding group on my phone.

We used it on a spontaneous one day trip last month when we didn't have our MB's (they were at home, we came over from Daytona Beach for the day). Worked great! Tickets loaded into our "wallet" on iphone - you just select the ticket, tap it at the reader and you're all set! We could each have our ticket on our phone if desired, I had all on my phone as my son didn't use his phone so one of us would just pull his up for him. No issues getting into parks.
Thanks... sounds like it might be a good idea to have this registered as a just in case our old MB battery dies or something. I think this is a feature within MDE that you have to sign up for and not a separate app?

Thanks... sounds like it might be a good idea to have this registered as a just in case our old MB battery dies or something. I think this is a feature within MDE that you have to sign up for and not a separate app?
MagicBands will continue to work long after the battery has died. Functions where you physically touch the MB to a reader (park entry, room charging, manual photo linking, etc) will continue to work as long as Disney supports the technology. The battery is only used for automatic photo linking.

And yes, you set up MobileMagic using the MDE mobile app. Touch the sandwich icon (3 bars) at the bottom right of the screen and then select "Disney MobileMagic".

MagicBands will continue to work long after the battery has died. Functions where you physically touch the MB to a reader (park entry, room charging, manual photo linking, etc) will continue to work as long as Disney supports the technology. The battery is only used for automatic photo linking.

And yes, you set up MobileMagic using the MDE mobile app. Touch the sandwich icon (3 bars) at the bottom right of the screen and then select "Disney MobileMagic".

Wow, I've never heard that about the MB batteries. I just recall seeing that the batteries last at least a couple of years, so we just planned on taking our newest bands.

Glad to hear MobileMagic is working. Wasn't available our last trip. Planning to try it on our next trip, but worried how much it will impact phone battery life. Currently, I bring a charger into the parks as I usually have to recharge the phone during a long day.

Love using my Apple Watch to enter the parks. Works great!

Glad to hear MobileMagic is working. Wasn't available our last trip. Planning to try it on our next trip, but worried how much it will impact phone battery life. Currently, I bring a charger into the parks as I usually have to recharge the phone during a long day.
I'd hope that it wouldn't be a big drain on battery for us since Magic Mobile would just be for park entry. I think we'd still use MBs for photopass. And I think when this first came out, it wasn't available for Android (wife's phone). Wife does everything tech related:).

We're also having to charge up frequently, but that was w/ FP checking. We bought a solar charger to tag on the outside of bagpack, and then a regular battery pack. But I'd like to find one with a quick charge.

MobileMagic lives in the wallet app and is not active until used resulting is nearly zero impact on battery life.

Love using my Apple Watch to enter the parks. Works great!
So I've had my Apple Watch since Christmas, and the only thing I know how to do is record my exercise, and respond to texts! I'm like 40 years older in tech savviness. Mainly because I never really cared to know.

So I've had my Apple Watch since Christmas, and the only thing I know how to do is record my exercise, and respond to texts! I'm like 40 years older in tech savviness. Mainly because I never really cared to know.
When you add the MobileMagic pass on your iPhone, it will be automatically added to your Apple Watch (Series 3 or newer). For park entry, you just touch either your phone or watch to the reader just like you would do with a MagicBand. No need to open the wallet app unless you also have passes for others.

When you add the MobileMagic pass on your iPhone, it will be automatically added to your Apple Watch (Series 3 or newer). For park entry, you just touch either your phone or watch to the reader just like you would do with a MagicBand. No need to open the wallet app unless you also have passes for others.
If wife has Droid phone, would I need to add her to mobile magic on my iphone, and potentially have to open the app for both of us to enter?

If wife has Droid phone, would I need to add her to mobile magic on my iphone, and potentially have to open the app for both of us to enter?
There is a version for non-Apple phones as well.

MobileMagic lives in the wallet app and is not active until used resulting is nearly zero impact on battery life.
Thanks, good to know. Our trip isn't for another few months, so I haven't looked into this much yet.

to circumvent using this app feature for park entry?
I just wanted to point out that Disney has always, in every announcement I've read, described MagicMobile as an alternative to MBs, not a replacement. Personally, I think Disney makes so much money selling the souvenir type MBs that they'll be around for a long time. They keep coming out with new designs!

I just wanted to point out that Disney has always, in every announcement I've read, described MagicMobile as an alternative to MBs, not a replacement. Personally, I think Disney makes so much money selling the souvenir type MBs that they'll be around for a long time. They keep coming out with new designs!
Agree. Definitely came to mind that it wouldn’t make sense for them financially to get rid of MBs in favor of mobile magic. MBs seem to be getting higher priced as well. We’re probably sort of attached to having one on. We enjoy putting one on before our flight down, for instance, because it signifies that it’s that time again, to be in our happy place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter