• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic passenger dies on dive excursion

gometros

<font color=teal>WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector an
I tried to post a link to the article, but maybe it's a forbidden site?

Anyway, an experienced driver died on a non-DCL excursion off the Magic at St. Kitts Saturday. No other details.

I tried to post a link to the article, but maybe it's a forbidden site?

Anyway, an experienced driver died on a non-DCL excursion off the Magic at St. Kitts Saturday. No other details.
That's unfortunate, praying for their family :(

"
Tragic news is coming in from St Kitts that a cruise ship passenger has died during a shore excursion.

A male passenger has sadly died during a shore excursion on the island of St. Kitts in the Caribbean. According to our source, the passenger was from a Disney cruise ship. While on a tour by Pro Divers the man died while diving. Local authorities including the Police have been seen on the small diving boat dealing with the situation.

The tragic event took place yesterday afternoon, May 6. Disney Magic which is operated by Disney Cruise Line was calling in St Kitts as part of a 7-night Southern Caribbean cruise. The port was the last call for the vessel and is scheduled to arrive back in its homeport of San Juan, Puerto Rico today, May 7.

Pro Divers is a popular diving excursion in St Kitts and many cruise ship passengers will book with them. The company doesn’t take bookings through the cruise line but does offer an easy way for visitors to book near the port. "

Magic is back in St Kitts today, doing the itinerary in reverse having left San Juan yesterday

there is risk in SCUBA diving .....

Would be interesting to know how he died. Makes a huge difference if it was "natural causes" vs. some sort of issue with his equipment or negligence by the tour company.

Either way, very sad for his family.

Oh my god, how heartbreaking :(

My husband and I returned from Vegas late on Thursday night after a quick 4 day kid-free vacation. Our flight was delayed 2 hours and just before they started boarding our plane, an elderly passenger who was due to be on our flight had a heart attack (we think). A fellow passenger ( a nurse I believe) did chest compressions on him continuously until paramedics arrived after about 10-15 minutes. They continued doing chest compressions while taking him away but I'm sure at this point we can all assume what the outcome was. The gate was so quiet as we all stood there in disbelief, several passengers were comforting the wife (and I believe it was another passenger unknown to the wife who actually accompanied her to the hospital); all we could hear was her sobbing uncontrollably. I can't get the sound of her crying out of my head, nor the site the of the nurse doing cpr. I've been thinking about it every day since we returned.

Always a risk with scuba diving. Tragic thing to happen though and I agree the cause is a big mystery and changes he story if known. If it is faulty equipment everyone should be warned so they don't book through this company but if it was natural cuases or user error then it is different. Either way very sad situation.

My husband and I returned from Vegas late on Thursday night after a quick 4 day kid-free vacation. Our flight was delayed 2 hours and just before they started boarding our plane, an elderly passenger who was due to be on our flight had a heart attack (we think). A fellow passenger ( a nurse I believe) did chest compressions on him continuously until paramedics arrived after about 10-15 minutes. They continued doing chest compressions while taking him away but I'm sure at this point we can all assume what the outcome was. The gate was so quiet as we all stood there in disbelief, several passengers were comforting the wife (and I believe it was another passenger unknown to the wife who actually accompanied her to the hospital); all we could hear was her sobbing uncontrollably. I can't get the sound of her crying out of my head, nor the site the of the nurse doing cpr. I've been thinking about it every day since we returned.
That's very scary. Sorry you had to expirience that.

Wow, that's amazing! I bet that poor woman was exhausted. 2 minutes of good compressions will wear you out, I can't imagine 10-15.

I'm so sorry you had to see that. It is always such a sobering experience to witness a tragic situation.

We witnessed this at a wedding. The uncle of the bride was dancing with the bride and suddenly went down -- everyone rushed over and paramedics came, but he was already gone. We all just stood there and didn't know what to do, many guests started leaving -- but the family insisted that he would have wanted the wedding to go on. His wife, too, was sobbing and led out by guests. So tragic.

We were on this cruise and had no clue that anything at all happened. Prayers for the family.

I'm a master diver and while there are risks to diving, it can be a safe sport if the proper precautions are taken. Never ever dive without a buddy, that way if your equipment fails, you have a backup. I actually have very good air management and could dive with a smaller tank but my honey does underwater video and sucks air like a hog so I carry a big tank so he has back up if he needs it. We never jump off a boat without checking the equipment and we insist on putting it together ourselves. It's been our experience, the more advanced a diver is, the more lax they are in doing the basic stuff. No way to know what happened and it's so sad when anyone loses their life just doing what they enjoy.

We were also on this cruise and there was no indication that anything had happened. Very sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter