Magic/Wonder? Would you change from veranda to secret porthole room?

happytime

Mouseketeer
Hi All, For those who have traveled on the Magic/Wonder, would you trade a veranda room Cat 5B mid-ship for one of the secret porthole cabins Cat 10A?

I've heard great reviews on the 10A rooms, but is it worth moving from a balcony for a longer than 7 day cruise?

Please share your experiences if you have moved to a different stateroom and why.

TIA.

Last edited:
We haven't stayed in a 10A room, but I'm curious for the responses so am following. We've only cruised in verandah rooms. It was $1000 price difference from 10A to verandah (don't remember category we were quoted) for our next cruise so I opted to save that money and try the 10A. We plan to stay in Miami a few days post cruise with the savings.

I haven't stayed in the porthole rooms in the Magic but I've heard they aren't as nice as on the Dream class ships, I would keep my verandah if the cost made sense, I really enjoy the verandah

I haven't stayed in the porthole rooms in the Magic but I've heard they aren't as nice as on the Dream class ships, I would keep my verandah if the cost made sense, I really enjoy the verandah

The primary difference is you cannot sit in the window - sort of a moot point unless you are teeny. Otherwise the rooms are perfectly nice and Disney standards.

My husband and I usually get a verandah room, but for the westbound Panama Canal cruise this spring on the Wonder we chose a secret porthole room.

We saved around $1000 that we spent on excursions, etc. The SPH was every buyback as roomy as the 5C we had on our previous cruise.

I'm actually shocked there's a SPH available for you to consider - they're a great bargain, and they sell very quickly.

FYI, 5024 and 5524 have a very heavily obstructed view. We were in 5022 and loved it - the view straight out of the porthole was great, but slightly obstructed to the sides. I'd book it again in a heartbeat and laugh all the way to the bank.

My husband and I usually get a verandah room, but for the westbound Panama Canal cruise this spring on the Wonder we chose a secret porthole room.

We saved around $1000 that we spent on excursions, etc. The SPH was every buyback as roomy as the 5C we had on our previous cruise.

I'm actually shocked there's a SPH available for you to consider - they're a great bargain, and they sell very quickly.

FYI, 5024 and 5524 have a very heavily obstructed view. We were in 5022 and loved it - the view straight out of the porthole was great, but slightly obstructed to the sides. I'd book it again in a heartbeat and laugh all the way to the bank.
Thanks MickeyEarrings for your experience. I was surprised to see the opening as well yesterday as it wasn't there since the beginning of the new schedule came out.

The primary difference is you cannot sit in the window - sort of a moot point unless you are teeny. Otherwise the rooms are perfectly nice and Disney standards.
I definitely wouldn't fit in the window as I'm on the heavier side at this writing. LOL Thank you for responding as I was actually wondering about the size and whether the window were like the ones in the hallways.

I definitely wouldn't fit in the window as I'm on the heavier side at this writing. LOL Thank you for responding as I was actually wondering about the size and whether the window were like the ones in the hallways.
Take a look at @MickeyEarrings trip report (listed in her signature). It has a bunch of pics from their secret porthole room so you can see what it looks like.

You're welcome! I had a cabin on the Dream with the big window and while I'm not totally Pooh-size, about one and a half cheeks fit onto the bench if I sat sideways. Lol.

FYI - on the Magic / Wonder, the portholes in the room really are not wide enough to sit in/on. Not like the deck 3 forward portholes.

I've never sprung for a veranda room, but have been upgraded a couple of times. For me and my family, we would not spend the money on that type of room. We are very happy with the Cat 9 porthole rooms (prefer the deck 2 rooms closer to the water).

I have been in 5522 (the less obstructed view - on the Starboard side) and that is what hooked us on the Cat 9 rooms. "never" going back to an inside room. and will not pay for a veranda.

The room sizes (on the Magic and Wonder) for the cat 9 & 8 portholes is the same size as the veranda room (well up through cat 5 I think). and that includes the veranda, so the actual stateroom is smaller (if my memory is correct)

Any cruise I've checked, the 10A secret porthole cabins are more than the 9c unobstructed porthole cabins on deck 2. I'll save even more and take the deck 2 porthole window! The price difference to go to a verandah on the Magic/Wonder is so much more than on the Fantasy/Dream that I can't justify it with all of the great public outdoor spaces.

The portholes in the classic rooms are not meant for sitting. Even a kid would not be comfortable sitting in one. If you want to sit in a porthole go to deck 3 forward. There are lots of portholes with padded seats, and they are great for sitting and reading a book or taking a nap.

I've been in a secret porthole on Wonder (5020) and a verandah on the Dream. We did enjoy the verandah, but just having a view to the outside world is enough for us. I didn't notice any difference in the sizes of the rooms. We are doing the secret porthole again on our next cruise.

I was able to snag a SPH on the wonder over a month after release dates - I was floored.
That said, I'd do it. But I'm not the one to pay for a verandah because we'd never use it.
Don't forget that 6006/6506 got turned into SPH here recently. Not many sites have them listed but they are.

If you're used to having the private balcony, don't do it. If all you really want is to have some light coming into the stateroom, then you will save possibly a lot of $ by switching.

Deck 2 portholes are wonderful!

We will be in 6506 on the Wonder this Thanksgiving.
Oh if you remember will you grab pics? It seems not many exists of the rooms - I guess because they've only been SPHs for a shorter amount of time. I've heard the window washers (which is what causes the obstructed view) can be a bit loud but I think they only run them on port days, so. Just FYI.

Oh if you remember will you grab pics? It seems not many exists of the rooms - I guess because they've only been SPHs for a shorter amount of time. I've heard the window washers (which is what causes the obstructed view) can be a bit loud but I think they only run them on port days, so. Just FYI.

I'll try. I've had the same trouble finding pics, but I saw one that made me think it won't be too bad. I almost wondered if we should revisit 5020, because we know that one is great.
As I understand it, while the window washers are operating the view is not obstructed at all since it has moved down the rail to service the other areas.

Deck 2 portholes are wonderful!

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuusssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!

I did enjoy 2582 on the Magic, but it was a tad far back for me. I'm a forward section girl, but I wanted to make sure my parents were comfy (I got us connecting cabins so they had 2584). I'm excited about trying 2504 on the Wonder in February!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter