Magical Dec Trip with 2 Toddlers

hmccarter

Mouseketeer
My husband and I headed to the GSP airport about 11 am with our two little girls ages 2 and 4. Flew out at 1:40 pm! Arrived at MCO around 3:25 pm and we had a 35 minute tarmac delay. We were not surprised as this has happened to us before at MCO. Didn't check bags, went straight to rental car area. We rented from Dollar and stood in line over 35 minutes. I couldn't understand the agent, she added a ton of ridiculous fees. I called and emailed immediately after seeing the receipt with $393 in extra charges. They said I could see a manager upon return to fix it. Fast forward to return, manager refused to see us. Got it reduced to $270 in extra fees after a lot of arguing with the agent and waiting for the manager who never came out. Super frustrating, still working on that.

Got the rental car, installed 2 car seats, arrived at Saratoga about 5:15 pm. We are a Celiac family, so eating at Disney is our FAVORITE! The gluten free options and allergen procedures are amazing compared to anything in SC. Went to Artist Palette for Quick Serve... ordered roast chicken meal, pizza, chicken tenders, Italian sub, and cheesecake. It was all delicious, and we were happy to be in Gluten Free Heaven.. I mean, DISNEY! Picked up our double stroller (Kingdom stroller).

Went to our room in the Paddock building 5203. A little hard to find. This was our first time at Saratoga. I recommend getting a resort map, it is huge! The room was stunning. We stayed in a one bed room suite. We unpacked and were in bed by 8 pm.

First day... Magic Kingdom! Did QS breakfast from at Artist Palette. Waited on the bus 15 minutes, it had multiple stops, and was packed like sardines. Did not get to the park entrance until about 9:15. Super long lines, took us 20-25 minutes to get in. It was a bummer, but we made the best of it. Had Genie+ for Jingle Cruise but not until 3:25. We did Pirates of the Carribbean with a 10 min or so wait time. Got a pineapple dole whip. Did Sawyer Treehouse and Aladdin. Headed to Auntie's Galactic Goodies for a Strawberry Slushie then Pinnochio Haus for lunch. I told you guys food was a priority for us!! Went back to the room for a nap. The girls absolutely crashed for over 2 hours. Back to MK, and rode Jingle Cruise, saw Cinderella and a princess from Disney Junior, did Little Mermaid, got some photo pass pictures, and headed to Port Orleans Riverside for supper and especially Beignets! Back to the room for baths and bedtime.

Second day... Hollywood Studios! Up and out a little earlier... drove to HS & rope dropped Mickey's Runaway Railroad. Used Genie to get Remy for 3:30.Next was character breakfast at Hollywood and Vine. The girls LOVED meeting Vamparina, Doc McStuffins, Pluto, and Fancy Nancy. Super fun. Got some photo pass pictures. Headed back to Saratoga, let the girls decompress outside with some playground time. Walked to Disney Springs, let them pick out a prize. They chose new disney character figures. Back to the room for nap! Woke up and headed to Epcot in the rain. Rode Remy, ate at Regale Eagle (kind of a letdown to be honest), got a strawberry slushie. Rode Gran Fiesta. Had a Genie + for Frozen. Headed back for baths and bedtime.

Third day... Animal Kingdom! QS from Artist Palette. Genie + for Safari at 8:30. It was super fun, lots of animals were out. It was drizzling rain. Got a dole whip, Harambe lunch bowls, and went to Nomad's lounge for churros! Last but not least, had a Genie + for Navi River. Headed back for nap. Woke up and decided to go DS and visit Erin Mckenna. My girls LOVE going in a bakery and picking out anything they want! It was delicious and such a fun adventure. Then we headed to the Wilderness Lodge. We wanted to see the beautiful Christmas decor, eat, and also check it out for our stay in April. We ate at Geyser Grill and it was delicious. Outdoor, you can see the water, and fun staff. We ordered fried chicken sandwich, fries, wings, brisket dip and chips, shrimp. A nice variety. Staff very confident and knowledgeable about GF options. Got a photo pass picture from the inside of the resort near the gorgeous and super tall Christmas tree. Headed back to pack up, baths, and bed.

Last day... breakfast at 8 am at Kona Cafe! The GF tonga toast was such a treat. The entire breakfast was lovely. We headed to the airport. Dealt with the horrible and ridiculous Dollar Rental Car Company. After waiting forever and never getting a manager to reverse those $393 in extra fees, we had to walk off to avoid missing our flight. Got on the plane home!!

It it always the FASTEST 5 days ever! Our sanity saver was making sure our girls got their naps and a decent bed time. My girls love their sleep! And so do the adults! It was a magical trip. We took a ton of pictures and have so much fun looking back at all the memories.

This was our 4th trip this year. Our first trip ever was in April (ages 1 and 3 - studio at GF). Followed by June (AKL - got upgraded to 1BR suite and never looked back) and July (Art of Animation, family suite). We always do 4 nights, 5 days. Disney is so much fun. We love the rides, but we really enjoy eating all the safe gluten free food! Can't wait to go back!!

Ugh. I'm sorry about your car situation. My sister had the same thing happen to her with Budget. She never was able to get them to take back any of the fees. I was told to deny everything they ask you to add. Your normal car insurance should cover anything that happens to the car, but check it out. If I'm renting in FL I always ask for the Sun Pass and stay firm with my "no" on everything else, and they try to guilt you in every possible way to add stuff! I once had them try to get me to let them fill up the gas tank by telling me it wouldn't be safe to get gas if I have a baby in the car with me!

Ugh. I'm sorry about your car situation. My sister had the same thing happen to her with Budget. She never was able to get them to take back any of the fees. I was told to deny everything they ask you to add. Your normal car insurance should cover anything that happens to the car, but check it out. If I'm renting in FL I always ask for the Sun Pass and stay firm with my "no" on everything else, and they try to guilt you in every possible way to add stuff! I once had them try to get me to let them fill up the gas tank by telling me it wouldn't be safe to get gas if I have a baby in the car with me!
Wow! That is crazy. I disputed the charges with my credit card company and won. Luckily I sent emails to customer service right after discovering the extra charges. I had their replies and then documentation of what actually ended up happening. Funny story… I wasn’t aware that Hertz, Dollar, and Thrifty were all one company. I tried to rent with Hertz and was told I’m on the “do not rent list,” haha. I guess they are holding a grudge that I won the dispute.

Thanks for the heads up about Budget. We are renting from them next month. I’ll be very careful when checking in. I can’t help but wonder… are there any trustworthy rental car companies out there?!?!

Thanks for the wonderful report. We’ll be heading to WDW for a week next year with a 3 and 1 year old. Would love to know which your favourite hotel was out of all the ones you’ve tried?

Thanks for the wonderful report. We’ll be heading to WDW for a week next year with a 3 and 1 year old. Would love to know which your favourite hotel was out of all the ones you’ve tried?
Out of those 4, Grand Floridian would be our top pick. The convenience to MK is amazing, and it’s really fun to explore other resorts / restaurants on the monorail. We walked over to the Polynesian several times for Dole Whip and other food. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge recently, and it was also a favorite. The boat to MK was nice. Next up is Beach Club. We are so excited about walking to Epcot and taking a boat to HS.

I hope you have a magical time next week!! Soak up all the memories with the 1 and 3 year old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter