Magical Express Ending Service

Wow @RoseGold, gatekeep much??? I guess, because you said so, ME shouldn’t matter to us.

And, yes, my very capable 20-year old kid can figure out how to get an Uber. She does it all the time for quick trips at college.

If you’d actually read my post, you’d see that the longer trip from the airport concerned us safety-wise due to the death of a close friend in a safety-related motor vehicle accident.

Seriously, have we really gotten to the point that NOT wanting to get into some random dude’s personally-owned and personally-maintained car 1000 miles from home makes us unreasonable??

Yes, I trust the safety of the Disney-contracted buses and drivers more.

Thanks again for telling me that DME should matter less to me than “people who didn’t want to wait for their bags and wanted an hour more in the parks.”

Sorry, but your response really rubbed me the wrong way.
It rubbed me the wrong way too!
For what it's worth, I'm a 40 something year old female and I NEVER use Uber or Lyft for the reasons that you stated (let alone feel good about my young daughter and her friend doing the same). There is at least some vetting of hiring a WDW bus driver in a ME bus and likely lots of other people on that bus vs. (as you stated) a random uber/lyft driver who might or might not be exactly who they say and a very safe driver but you have no way to know if ANYONE has done anything to try to ensure that. The possibility for something shady to happen with an Uber/Lyft ride is just way higher. Less accountability. Less tracking of whereabouts. Less people around if something goes 'wrong'. I thought that person's comment was mean and unsympathetic to other's situations and feelings. You're not alone in feeling the way you do.

Let's please leave argumentative/ sarcastic comments out. Thank you

I apologize for my defensive post. For those that know me around here, I don’t typically lose my cool.

My initial post was a positive contribution to the thread.

OK, moving on :)

Last edited:
DME has always been tied to the Cruise side. That's what made it effective from a cost recovery point. We will need to see what happens next in the 6 months.

Might be renewed focus on the Brightline train station at DS and MCO. Timing just seems to be a year off.

Dave
ME has never been a part of the cruise experience. Transfers from the airport/Disney resort to the cruise port (and back) have always been charged a fee, as is standard with other cruise lines.

The decision to eliminate ME service, no longer being able check our luggage at our resort, no more FP, and no more EMH (no matter how you look at it, 30 minutes isn‘t 60) will all factor into my decision of whether/not I will renew our APs this year. We‘ve had some wonderful Disney vacations and memories we’ll never forget, but I see all of these changes as pushing me towards the decision to no longer be passholders. I think my daughter and I are ready to spend time exploring the rest of the world out there. The changes at Disney are good incentive for us to go explore the world and not renew the APs.

It was ideal when my DD was younger, especially as a single mom, to check our luggage at our home airport and not worry again until baggage claim at our return. I could call bell services and request help in getting our luggage to the resort airline check-in area, check the bags, and go out for some last minute fun. It was my answer to people who would ask me why we were going back to Disney again. Disney made it very easy for me as a single parent with a young child to take a vacation. Now my daughter is older (9), and I think these changes are the push we need to visit Disney less frequently (we’ll still visit, but it won’t be as often) and do more real-world travel.

I finally got a reply to my email, and it’s different from the replies others have posted here. Probably still canned, but I at least feel heard, even if it won’t change anything.

Thank you for your message.

We truly appreciate that you are such a dedicated fan of the Walt Disney World Resort and have been visiting for so many years. It’s obvious that you care a great deal about the Disney brand and reputation, and we deeply value the insight you shared regarding your rationale for choosing a Walt Disney World vacation over other vacation options. We understand your disappointment with the announcement that Disney's Magical Express Service is being discontinued and appreciate you sharing this feedback with us. Please know we will pass along this feedback to the appropriate teams as we continue to explore new ways for Guests to enjoy their visits in the future.

Thank you again for your honest and constructive feedback.

Kindest regards,

Heather Lange
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

Mears has said that they're going to continue offering airport service after the DME contract ends. Of course, it will no longer be free for Disney on site hotel guests. You'll have to pay for it. But it WILL be an option for people who are not comfortable with getting into an Uber or Lyft car.

Right, but DME was rolled into the cost of the room. And I was fine with that even though I didn’t use it. The part that’s not fair is the ADDITIONAL charge to park your car there. Those of us who drive had to pay for DME (in our room rate) AND parking at the resort. At the time they announced the parking fee, I thought they should charge for both. I never thought they would eliminate DME all together!
I’m all for the ala carte paying for what you use part of that aspect, but w the elimination of the DME aspect cost “build-in” on prices or rooms, they will NOT go down or even level off, I doubt they’ll slow the continual rise in any respect.
That said, I always defend the costs of going to WDW. The costs have great benefit and no comparisons on their league, IMO, but at some point, I get really tired of being peed on and have them call it rain.

We’ve only used DME a few times in the 25 years we’ve been vacationing at WDW. We’ll manage. And since I’m in a wheelchair, I’m REALLY hoping there is a paid service to take us to the resort so we don’t have to rent a car bcz again. I’m just done w that hassle and expense as I know tens of thousands are.

Dear Disney,
Ending ME is the best decision you have made in years. Just thinking about the increase in profits.
Signed,
Your new friends Sea World, Universal Studios, offsite hotels and car rental companies
P.S. We take back all those things we said about you.
More enrollment for hogwarts now

Apologies if this was mentioned in previous pages. I skimmed but didn't see it.

We are arriving 12/23 and departing on 1/1 2022. We were driving, but have decided to maybe fly instead. Since we'll be arriving on 12/23, the Magical Express will still be in operation. But would it still be running on Jan 1, since we have an existing trip booked? Or would we need to find transportation back to the airport?

Thanks!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter