Magical Express Experience - Safety

I'm sorry for your experience.
From the airport we were the only 3 persons on our bus and we still were asked to sit in the back of the bus. NO PROBLEM!!
The trip back to airport everyone had the row in front of them empty ( per drivers instructions) and the bus was not full. 5:00 pm that day. Everyone had a mask on.
My sense of calm and security ended at MCO. There, it was chaos but I expected it honestly.

Ya this thread just made me second guess it. It sounds like most had a better experience from the airport though? Does anyone know the best transportation option back to the airport from the resorts? I really don't want to rent a car and have to go to a park to pick one up prior to my flight.

Ya this thread just made me second guess it. It sounds like most had a better experience from the airport though? Does anyone know the best transportation option back to the airport from the resorts? I really don't want to rent a car and have to go to a park to pick one up prior to my flight.

Lyft or Uber would be your cheapest and most convenient options if you avoided ME.

The drivers that picked me up last month during my trip were always wearing masks and had windows open whenever possible. With that said, theres still a chance someone isnt taking precautions. If that happens, you could absolutely refuse to ride with them and call another.

Thanks, I have a party of six and only have used Uber once. I am going to assume some of them SUVs and such?

As mentioned, DME is operated by Mears which is a third party vendor for Disney. Even though there is a contract and expectation, I can tell you from firsthand experience that managing a third party vendor and the people under that company is much different and more difficult than managing your own people and resources. Many more hoops to jump through and changes/improvements can take time. This is not at all an excuse for non-compliance by Mears, but just shines light on the "corporate" roadblocks I'm sure they are seeing with trying to get them at the same level.

We rode DME in October both ways. On the way to the resort, we received assigned seats to be properly distanced (staggered seating). On the way back, the driver made no mention of staggering seating, did not assign seats, and didn't even ask people to spread out. Everyone congregated at the front of the bus. It would have been a good thing for him to mention that it would not be a full bus so that people could space themselves, but it wasn't even acknowledged.

As mentioned, DME is operated by Mears which is a third party vendor for Disney. Even though there is a contract and expectation, I can tell you from firsthand experience that managing a third party vendor and the people under that company is much different and more difficult than managing your own people and resources. Many more hoops to jump through and changes/improvements can take time. This is not at all an excuse for non-compliance by Mears, but just shines light on the "corporate" roadblocks I'm sure they are seeing with trying to get them at the same level.

We rode DME in October both ways. On the way to the resort, we received assigned seats to be properly distanced (staggered seating). On the way back, the driver made no mention of staggering seating, did not assign seats, and didn't even ask people to spread out. Everyone congregated at the front of the bus. It would have been a good thing for him to mention that it would not be a full bus so that people could space themselves, but it wasn't even acknowledged.

I keep seeing a lot of reports on how different each direction is. It makes me want to take the bus to WDW and other transportation back. The issue it seems is that the uber limit will leave one person out. I took the ME once but had forgotten on seat amounts. Are there 3 per row?

I keep seeing a lot of reports on how different each direction is. It makes me want to take the bus to WDW and other transportation back. The issue it seems is that the uber limit will leave one person out. I took the ME once but had forgotten on seat amounts. Are there 3 per row?
DME is just two per row, but since you're all the same party, they would allow you to sit in rows together on the bus without distancing.

You could split up your party and take two Ubers. Alternatively, for a price likely comparable to taking two Ubers, you could book a private car service. Tony Hinds is often recommended here on the boards. He has 12 passenger vans that can accommodate everyone. You'd just need to schedule a pick up time with him, its not on demand like Uber would be.

People are saying Uber has a 5 person limit atm even with the larger vans. Does he transfer say 6 right now? I appreciate the suggestion, I didn't know the name at all.

It looks like none of us would then need to sit directly next to anyone else then. That makes it sound a bit better. Thanks for responding!

People are saying Uber has a 5 person limit atm even with the larger vans. Does he transfer say 6 right now? I appreciate the suggestion, I didn't know the name at all.

It looks like none of us would then need to sit directly next to anyone else then. That makes it sound a bit better. Thanks for responding!
He's not Uber, he's private transport. Unless he's imposed his own restrictions (haven't heard of that), I'd imagine he's still transferring up to 12 passengers. All of his rides are private, so its always people from the same party anyway.

None of you should need to sit next to anyone else, but as mentioned above, not all drivers are enforcing seating distancing on DME on the way back to the airport. You could likely sit all the way in the back of the bus and not be bothered (people congregated in the front on mine), but no guarantees.

He's not Uber, he's private transport. Unless he's imposed his own restrictions (haven't heard of that), I'd imagine he's still transferring up to 12 passengers. All of his rides are private, so its always people from the same party anyway.

None of you should need to sit next to anyone else, but as mentioned above, not all drivers are enforcing seating distancing on DME on the way back to the airport. You could likely sit all the way in the back of the bus and not be bothered (people congregated in the front on mine), but no guarantees.

Any idea on how much his service costs? There are six of us so I am wondering how pricey it could be.

Any idea on how much his service costs? There are six of us so I am wondering how pricey it could be.
He charges a flat rate, not per person. The ride will be the same cost if there is 1 person or 12 people. I've never used him to go to the airport from WDW, but I did from Universal once and it was roughly $60. No idea if he's increased his prices with the current environment. If you call or email him, he will give you a quote.

I rode the DME today back to the airport and felt much better on it than I did at Christmas time. Our driver assigned us seats as we got on the bus. The bus was loaded back to front. Every other row was occupied, so the bus was half full.

I rode the DME today back to the airport and felt much better on it than I did at Christmas time. Our driver assigned us seats as we got on the bus. The bus was loaded back to front. Every other row was occupied, so the bus was half full.

Maybe they are going to start doing a better job now that things have settled down and have taken so much criticism. That's a MAYBE though, who knows for sure. But it's great to hear that you had a better experience this time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter