Magical Express from MCO

PapaNonni

Earning My Ears
DVC Gold
Still hoping Iger will bring back the Magical Express from MCO when booking at the DW resorts. Until then, Lyft is been the best option we've found.

Mears who used to run DME for Disney, now charges customers for the same thing. It used to be 'free' (more likely was buried in the cost of your Disney room). I doubt Disney has any incentive/reason to bring it back. Clearly they never LOWERED room prices when doing away with DME. Depending on how much driving you plan to do while @ Disney, a rental car might be a better option overall.

The problem with Lyft and Uber is if you have small children that would normally be in a carseat, good luck getting an Uber or Lyft that has one available. Who wants to bring your own? You can either risk your kids by letting them ride without one in Orlando traffic and an unknown driver, hire out a service or pay Mears.

Those aren't the best choices. I would also argue it's just not the same without Disney branding, cartoons and having the luggage transfer too. They also don't run as many buses.

It used to be such a simple process.

The problem with Lyft and Uber is if you have small children that would normally be in a carseat, good luck getting an Uber or Lyft that has one available. Who wants to bring your own? You can either risk your kids by letting them ride without one in Orlando traffic and an unknown driver, hire out a service or pay Mears.

Those aren't the best choices. I would also argue it's just not the same without Disney branding, cartoons and having the luggage transfer too. They also don't run as many buses.

It used to be such a simple process.
I could've written this verbatim

If you can even legally have them ride without a seat. Florida law specifies that children 5 and under must be in a federally approved restraining device. And children 3 and under must be in a car seat.

Even if they didn't bring a DME service back I wish they would introduce a luggage service. It's something I would pay for if it was reasonably priced.

Even if they didn't bring a DME service back I wish they would introduce a luggage service. It's something I would pay for if it was reasonably priced.
What's your definition of reasonably priced? I'm sure Bags, Inc looked into continuing the service but either Disney wouldn't let them or they didn't feel there would be enough money in it. It takes a lot to provide that service.

What's your definition of reasonably priced? I'm sure Bags, Inc looked into continuing the service but either Disney wouldn't let them or they didn't feel there would be enough money in it. It takes a lot to provide that service.
For me I would be wiling to pay $5-10 a bag. If they included a bus service and charged $20pp it would be worth it to me. Right now for just a couple dollars more then Mears I can get a Lyft/Uber right to my resort without any other stops.

I was surprised that Disney didn't go with a paid system (for both Bus and luggage) instead of discontinuing it. Although some disagree, Disney just included DME in the room rate for everyone even if you didn't use it. I doubt they will were losing money on it. Probably more of a case where they weren't making as much per room as they would like. So to up revenue they just cancelled it. They just used Covid as an excuse to cut services, like so many other companies.

If you can even legally have them ride without a seat. Florida law specifies that children 5 and under must be in a federally approved restraining device. And children 3 and under must be in a car seat.

Supposedly, there's a carve out in the law for taxis and rides for hire, which taxis and car services are quick to point out to you. Now, that's obviously up to you and your comfort zone. I'm not going to judge anybody, but my sister-in-law made it clear my nephew (3) was to ride in a car seat or a bus. So, we've did the bus.

On our way back, Mears didn't send the bus. We got a van and a couple had a child below 2. They had to hold the child and we were packed in like sardines.

So, good luck either way!

Supposedly, there's a carve out in the law for taxis and rides for hire, which taxis and car services are quick to point out to you. Now, that's obviously up to you and your comfort zone. I'm not going to judge anybody, but my sister-in-law made it clear my nephew (3) was to ride in a car seat or a bus. So, we've did the bus.

On our way back, Mears didn't send the bus. We got a van and a couple had a child below 2. They had to hold the child and we were packed in like sardines.

So, good luck either way!
There is an exception for buses, but all other transportation for hire still has the requirement. The ticket would go to the adult in the party rather than the driver of the vehicle.
It is section 6 at https://flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2014/316.613

What's your definition of reasonably priced? I'm sure Bags, Inc looked into continuing the service but either Disney wouldn't let them or they didn't feel there would be enough money in it. It takes a lot to
Bags, Inc has contracts to deliver airline delayed bags. They'll pick up luggage at baggage claim and deliver it wherever you want.
https://bagsvip.com/ Some hotels charge an acceptance fee.
https://www.lugless.com/ will ship luggage from your home to your hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter