Magical express.. How long?

ElizabethDarling

Earning My Ears
Hello, about how long does it really take, taking the magical express from the airport to Disney? We're staying at POR Riverside to be exact. I was just curious because we're arriving a little late and I'm trying to figure out if we have enough time for a late dinner reservation. Thank you all very much!

Hello, about how long does it really take, taking the magical express from the airport to Disney? We're staying at POR Riverside to be exact. I was just curious because we're arriving a little late and I'm trying to figure out if we have enough time for a late dinner reservation. Thank you all very much!
There are a lot of variables .... for example, if there are a lot of people in line at the airport it can take quite a bit longer. The busses often share with multiple resorts. Our best/quickest trip took us 30 minutes total ... We arrived via red eye at 5:30am and we were the only ones around and almost literally walked right onto the bus and it left immediately. Our last trip it took about an hour total and we were even the first stop. I would say 1-1 1/2 hours would be typical based on our experience.

I think the stated time is to allow 90-120 minutes from the time you exit the plane to the time you arrive at your resort. As PP said, many variables can impact that and we have experienced less than 90 minutes and greater than 120 minutes. In our experience, Saturday/Sunday mornings are very busy arrival times, so we've had to wait in line to board a bus for a good 20-30 minutes. Also, the bus may stop at other resorts before POR, which can take some time depending on how many people need to get off and grab bags from under the bus.

We're arriving 6pm on a Saturday.. I guess I'll save my downtown disney ADR for our last day, were coming from southern California so we might just explore our hotel and get to bed early, a 3 hour time change is going to hurt us in the morning!! Thank you for the info guys! 61 days and counting :D

We're arriving 6pm on a Saturday.. I guess I'll save my downtown disney ADR for our last day, were coming from southern California so we might just explore our hotel and get to bed early, a 3 hour time change is going to hurt us in the morning!! Thank you for the info guys! 61 days and counting :D

That's a very similar arrival time to our last trip ... when we finally got to the resort we just checked-in and wandered the resort at a leisurly pace ... it was actually very relaxing since we had no specific plans that evening.

We've had really good luck with ME. All 4 times we've used it we've been at the resort with in 60-75 mins of getting off the plane. Having said that though I wouldn't book an ADR counting on it being that quick. You also don't know how busy check-in will be at the resort.

You could also go to Boatwright's. It's a TS and it's at POR, and you won't need an ADR.

This is also a good option. Arriving at 6pm on a Saturday, I'd suspect you'd get to your resort and check-in around 8pm. You won't get your bags until closer to 9pm, possibly later, so I'd recommend bringing anything you might want to freshen up with in your carry on. I think you'll have enough time to go to DTD when you get there (bear in mind it can be crazy on the weekends), but I wouldn't chance an ADR with the cancelation fee in place.

I'll add another variable: how funny the driver thinks he is.

We've had drivers stand at the front of the bus and talk for over five minutes before departing. It's like they are auditioning to be a Jungle Cruise skipper.

That's really frustrating. At least the air conditioning is on.

Figure on 90 mins. In all the times I've used DME, it has taken me 90 mins just once. We were the third of three stops. Otherwise. It's usually around 70 mins. If all the stars are misaligned, it could take you 120 mins though. Plane lands a bit late, you're in the very rear of the plane and those in front of you take their sweet time Gerri g off the plane, the tram just pulled away, there is a line of people at the bus dispersal area, then your bus just pulled away, so you have to wait for the next one. You get on the bus and have to wait for 20 mins before it pulls away. Then, you're on a bus with a lot of luggage that has to be unloaded and handed out. And then, of course, your resort will be the last one. All this made better by the fact that your driver is a sticker for rules, a d drives just under the speed limit.
But...that doesn't happen very often. Plan on 90 and be happy when it's less.

I wouldn't make any ADRs for that night. You vp an grab something at the food court, or go to Boatwrights. Then relax and get a good nights sleep.

We just used magic express to go to POR this past May. I didnt keep track of the time but I would say it was close to 2 hours. This included taking a bathroom break before getting in line for magic express and we only had carry on bags. It also included waiting in line and then waiting on the bus to be loaded. We also had to stop at a couple other stops before POR. I would say figure 2 hours just to be safe but it may be shorter. The average time I would say would be an hour and a half.

Another consideration. What if your flight is delayed? I originally scheduled dinner at Boma for our arrival day, then a few weeks before departure, I cancelled because we decided we wanted to go straight to the parks.

Our flight ended up delayed by 6 hours!! We were supposed to land at 4pm, but didn't arrive until 10pm. Thank goodness it was a nonstop flight, or we wouldn't have made it in the same day.

I am so jealous of all of you. The only time we used ME, it took over an hour just to walk through the terminal, down to the ground level, get on a bus, and get it loaded up and leave the airport. We were the 3rd resort of 4 (Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, POFQ, POR) and it was 2 hours and 45 minutes from getting off the plane to getting to our room.

It has taken us anywhere between 60-90 minutes...we stayed at WL and GF on the visits we used Magic Express. The last time we went there was a long line for the buses at the terminal...Waited about 40 minutes to board a bus, that was our longest ever!

Yeah ... most of the guides will tell you to allow 60-90 minutes if you checked your bags through. And based on four or five experiences on various airlines and at various times, that seems about right.

Of course, if you're in a hurry and you see a huge crowd in the lineup hall for ME you can always just walk back to the curbside and get a cab.

Figure on 90 mins. In all the times I've used DME, it has taken me 90 mins just once. We were the third of three stops. Otherwise. It's usually around 70 mins. If all the stars are misaligned, it could take you 120 mins though. Plane lands a bit late, you're in the very rear of the plane and those in front of you take their sweet time Gerri g off the plane, the tram just pulled away, there is a line of people at the bus dispersal area, then your bus just pulled away, so you have to wait for the next one. You get on the bus and have to wait for 20 mins before it pulls away. Then, you're on a bus with a lot of luggage that has to be unloaded and handed out. And then, of course, your resort will be the last one. All this made better by the fact that your driver is a sticker for rules, a d drives just under the speed limit. But...that doesn't happen very often. Plan on 90 and be happy when it's less. I wouldn't make any ADRs for that night. You vp an grab something at the food court, or go to Boatwrights. Then relax and get a good nights sleep.
My married last name is Murphy, and it's VERY typical on every vacation we always run into Murphy's law...this sounds exactly like something that would happen to us lol with that being said we'll take everyone's advice and go explore our hotel, it's our 1st visit so I'll be in awe of everything, I'm just overthinking about over-planning again :D

We arrive at 6am on August 17th do you all think it will be busy at that hour?? Yikes, that is really 3am to us coming from Seattle :rotfl::rotfl: ah well Starbucks quad shot here I come:rotfl2:

I'm arriving on Sep. 11 at 8:43pm via JetBlue and I'll be checking in at CSR. Hopefully that's late enough in the evening where ME won't take too long! I'm hoping to squeeze in a QS meal at the resort before calling it a night.

There are a TON of variants when it comes to figuring that out, but let's say:
-You land at 4:30pm
-Half an hour to de-plane and get down to side B of the terminal, factor in travel delays, bathroom break, getting lost, waiting for the cm's to load the bus
-You leave your luggage for Disney to pick up
-Around 5:30 you're getting on the bus
-Half hour of travel time
-EARLIEST you'd arrive I'd say is 6pm.

So, an hour and a half, and factor in more time (at least 30mins) if you're picking up your own luggage

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter