Magical Express to end in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thiink optimism is climbnig everywhere with the vaccine starting to roll out. That is what was always going to be needed to get back to normal. We as a society world wide can see aa light at the end of the tunnel now. I hope by the end of this year we hear of the CP and cultural ambassadors returning. Having just come back, world showcase whiile still fun was missing something without people from the countries at the countries.
I have optimism with the vaccine rolling out and things going back to normal soon. As far as businesses, travel and WDW returning to normal by 2022 my optimism isn't there. It's going to be years before the economy comes back like pre-Covid levels.

Me personally I will just be happy to travel by the end of the year.

Highly unlikely that they will remove airline check-in at the resorts. That's pretty standard across the industry. Heck, I can even check in for my flight at a Marriott Courtyard.

Now, that said, I've never used it, because I just use my phone.

Does Airline check-in at other resorts include them bringing your bags to the airport for you? I've never used it anywhere else either but that's the only thing that really matters. Last I heard Disney isn't even doing it right now due to COVID restrictions anyway, but even if they bring it back, Airline check-in without luggage service is pretty useless to me since I can check-in on my phone and use mobile boarding passes on every major airline.

Nobody (well mostly nobody) is trying to say that others can't feel the way they feel, they are simply saying that they feel a certain way and why. It's not and attack. For me the loss of DME is pretty big, but it's also not the end of the (Disney)world. For some, that and other changes have left them feeling that it has lost too much. It's going to differ from person to person - don't take it personally. I mean, I'll go to the mat when they come for The Tiki Room, but I don't expect the rest of you to handcuff themselves to Jose's perch with me. ;)

So this feels a bit personal now, so I suggest we do drop it because I will only annoy you further. And you calling me out like this kind of makes me feel like I shouldn't post at all, at least not on the rumors/news boards.

Man, I've had a lot going on in my life lately too, so Disney is also my outlet.
Nah, keep commenting. There are some people who are adamant and unwilling to listen to what the other side has to say. Those people are just looking for people to agree with them. There seems to be a lot of that going on in our society lately. But there are also others that like to see others points of view, including yours.

So this feels a bit personal now, so I suggest we do drop it because I will only annoy you further. And you calling me out like this kind of makes me feel like I shouldn't post at all, at least not on the rumors/news boards.

Man, I've had a lot going on in my life lately too, so Disney is also my outlet.

I feel you, but I am not going anywhere. They can hit ignore. :)

I have to pump sunshine all day around my grumpy husband. It's just second nature to do it here!!!

I see your points, but I will respectfully disagree that Disney doesn't feel magical. It feels like you are in another world when you are in the bubble. I said in another comment that there are all sorts of "types" of vacations: WDW, cruises, beach vacations, camping, international, etc. None of these can replicate the feelings and vibe of the other ones. They all have their own uniqueness. Me and my family also take other vacations beyond WDW (cruises, beach house rentals, Europe), but none of those vacations feel like WDW. I am certainly not going boycott WDW because they eliminated a shuttle from the airport to the resort, especially when I am sure there are business reasons why (covid, Mears, etc). I also try to be patient when decisions like this are announced, as later announcements usually follow that help soften the blow. For instance, what if Disney offered a baggage service? The train/bus combo would be a MUCH faster option than the DME, so if they offered a baggage service to/from the airport I think that would be an improvement over DME. I remember when the parks closed last year due to covid and all the comments on here were how Disney/DVC was evil and that all our points were going to expire. There was a lot of freaking out going on. I cautioned that everyone should take a breath and give DVC time to sort things out...they aren't out to sc*ew everyone. What happened? DVC announced policies to help everyone keep their points.

I, personally, think Disney is a smart company. I think they are smart enough to know that unhappy customers will take business elsewhere. They also know that keeping everyone in the "bubble" equates to more $$ being spent in the bubble. They have hard data to back that up. I will give them time to figure out alternatives to DME. But that's just me.
I agree with a lot of what you said. I do feel it is still a magical place overall. I must not be getting my point across well enough. It just doesn't feel AS magical as it once did to me and yet the prices are going up. That's why I have trouble paying the ticket prices. When I feel like I have to keep one hand on my wallet as I walk through the parks, because the executives are trying to steal my money, it reduces the magic to me. This isn't all based on one decision, to remove DME. I was pissed when the parade was taken, and all the other cuts because of the Shanghai over spending. That hasn't come back, and short of a major event, like an anniversary, I don't think we will ever see the parades again. They don't need to bring it back because people still keep giving them their money. I recognize the parade didn't matter to everyone but it is just another example of a loss of value to some. For me a HUGE part of my connection to Disney was the GF Orchestra. Some people have never been to the GF and wouldn't care, I get it. But my first step on Disney property was the GF, I walked in to check in for my honeymoon and they were playing. I grew up with little money and somehow I was walking into this beautiful hotel and an orchestra is playing. Now it's gone. People are out of jobs. Chapek and his team of executives still have their bonuses though.

WDW was always my home park. I used to look at DL and think about going but at the times I looked it was always more expensive. I thought, "Why would I spend more to go to a smaller park?" so I always went back to WDW. I finally went to DL in 2017. I proposed to my current wife there. Now, that place is busting at the seems with Disney magic. I know it is possible for Disney to still do it, they do it at DL. Its just different. CM are different. It's spotless like Walt wanted. The quality of food is better there because they have to, there are options right outside the gate that are cheaper so they have to do a better job overall. WDW doesn't have to because people are "trapped" on property and they have to eat somewhere.

I am not bashing on WDW, I still love it. I am still listening to podcasts, I am still keeping up on news. I still wait to go back (hence the name). Currently, I am not happy with the direction of the company. I hate all the IP that is taking over. It feels cookie cutter to me. Yes, even Galaxy's Edge is not impressive to me. Have ridden RoR yet but in walking through that land at DL I left thinking I didn't care if I ever went back. It felt more like the land was set up to sell me something rather than immerse me in this amazing new land. People may disagree, and that's OK.

I hate that the most loyal customers (AP holders) sat through the construction of Galaxy's Edge and when it opened they were blacked out and told to buy tickets like everyone else. For the record I don't even have an AP. I just couldn't believe, out in DL, after what they pay for an AP they then made them buy additional tickets. In many cases some of these people have had AP's for 20+ years. That's how they reward the most loyal fans, who have probably been fans for life?

I understand it is a business and they will always try to spend as little as possible to make as much as possible. I get it. But let's take the sports team analogy for a second, it was a great one. I live in Boston. The Red Sox have been engrained in families for generations, like Disney. They charge ridiculous prices for tickets, concessions, parking, etc... When they are winning people will go. When they have a bad team, people stay home. This forces the ownership to bring in big time players to put a competitive team on the field to justify the higher prices. Those deals may not always work out but people speak with their wallets and the team responds. All I am looking for is other Disney fans to temporarily speak with their wallet so management will realize they can't keep stripping the little things that make up the magic for some of us.

I have optimism with the vaccine rolling out and things going back to normal soon. As far as businesses, travel and WDW returning to normal by 2022 my optimism isn't there. It's going to be years before the economy comes back like pre-Covid levels.

Me personally I will just be happy to travel by the end of the year.

Depends on how you define normal. Normal as in no need for masks, less plexiglass (I think some plexiglass at places like cashier stands may stay), no need for social distancing, no cappcity limits, etc I think we'll get to by the end of the year.

Now normal as in normal capacity numbers and people being able to afford to go on trips is going to take some time but we'll need the first to happen (at more then just WDW) before we can really make good progress on the second. So for end of 21 I'm hoping for the first part to come about.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I do feel it is still a magical place overall. I must not be getting my point across well enough. It just doesn't feel AS magical as it once did to me and yet the prices are going up. That's why I have trouble paying the ticket prices. When I feel like I have to keep one hand on my wallet as I walk through the parks, because the executives are trying to steal my money, it reduces the magic to me. This isn't all based on one decision, to remove DME. I was pissed when the parade was taken, and all the other cuts because of the Shanghai over spending. That hasn't come back, and short of a major event, like an anniversary, I don't think we will ever see the parades again. They don't need to bring it back because people still keep giving them their money. I recognize the parade didn't matter to everyone but it is just another example of a loss of value to some. For me a HUGE part of my connection to Disney was the GF Orchestra. Some people have never been to the GF and wouldn't care, I get it. But my first step on Disney property was the GF, I walked in to check in for my honeymoon and they were playing. I grew up with little money and somehow I was walking into this beautiful hotel and an orchestra is playing. Now it's gone. People are out of jobs. Chapek and his team of executives still have their bonuses though.

WDW was always my home park. I used to look at DL and think about going but at the times I looked it was always more expensive. I thought, "Why would I spend more to go to a smaller park?" so I always went back to WDW. I finally went to DL in 2017. I proposed to my current wife there. Now, that place is busting at the seems with Disney magic. I know it is possible for Disney to still do it, they do it at DL. Its just different. CM are different. It's spotless like Walt wanted. The quality of food is better there because they have to, there are options right outside the gate that are cheaper so they have to do a better job overall. WDW doesn't have to because people are "trapped" on property and they have to eat somewhere.

I am not bashing on WDW, I still love it. I am still listening to podcasts, I am still keeping up on news. I still wait to go back (hence the name). Currently, I am not happy with the direction of the company. I hate all the IP that is taking over. It feels cookie cutter to me. Yes, even Galaxy's Edge is not impressive to me. Have ridden RoR yet but in walking through that land at DL I left thinking I didn't care if I ever went back. It felt more like the land was set up to sell me something rather than immerse me in this amazing new land. People may disagree, and that's OK.

I hate that the most loyal customers (AP holders) sat through the construction of Galaxy's Edge and when it opened they were blacked out and told to buy tickets like everyone else. For the record I don't even have an AP. I just couldn't believe, out in DL, after what they pay for an AP they then made them buy additional tickets. In many cases some of these people have had AP's for 20+ years. That's how they reward the most loyal fans, who have probably been fans for life?

I understand it is a business and they will always try to spend as little as possible to make as much as possible. I get it. But let's take the sports team analogy for a second, it was a great one. I live in Boston. The Red Sox have been engrained in families for generations, like Disney. They charge ridiculous prices for tickets, concessions, parking, etc... When they are winning people will go. When they have a bad team, people stay home. This forces the ownership to bring in big time players to put a competitive team on the field to justify the higher prices. Those deals may not always work out but people speak with their wallets and the team responds. All I am looking for is other Disney fans to temporarily speak with their wallet so management will realize they can't keep stripping the little things that make up the magic for some of us.
I see your points. They are valid. I can't even say I completely disagree. The magic is definitely less than it used to be. But it is still magical. I also completely agree with the sports team analogy. But, like sports teams, Disney ebbs and flows. It is a business, like sports teams. Sometimes really good decisions are made and sometimes not so good decisions are made. But I really do believe Disney wants to provide a great experience. They aren't dumb. They know people have alternatives. Competition is everywhere.

The one area where I have a much different outlook, it seems, is in regards to the decisions that have been made because of COVID. You mentioned things like the parades being cancelled and people being "out of jobs" (like the orchestra at GF). Those decisions were made because of COVID. Times are hard right now and I believe those things will return post-COVID. The parks are limited to the number of people that can be in the parks and the entertainment/attractions they can provide. I don't put that on Disney. However, when COVID is in the rearview mirror I fully expect those things to return.

P.S. - As a side note, my wife and I moved to upstate NY from Boston back in 2003. We are die hard Sox fans (and Pats fans). Go Sox!!

Depends on how you define normal. Normal as in no need for masks, less plexiglass (I think some plexiglass at places like cashier stands may stay), no need for social distancing, no cappcity limits, etc I think we'll get to by the end of the year.

Now normal as in normal capacity numbers and people being able to afford to go on trips is going to take some time but we'll need the first to happen (at more then just WDW) before we can really make good progress on the second. So for end of 21 I'm hoping for the first part to come about.
I work in the medical device industry and get weekly updates on progress and projections. I don't think the masks and complete capacity limits will be gone until next year (2022). The US will have to hit certain milestones for vaccinations and infection rates, which is going to take some time. We, hopefully, will be hitting those benchmarks by 2022. And I agree with you in terms of when things will get back to normal as defined as how things were pre-COVID. That timeline is more like 2023, IMO.

I work in the medical device industry and get weekly updates on progress and projections. I don't think the masks and complete capacity limits will be gone until next year (2022). The US will have to hit certain milestones for vaccinations and infection rates, which is going to take some time. We, hopefully, will be hitting those benchmarks by 2022. And I agree with you in terms of when things will get back to normal as defined as how things were pre-COVID. That timeline is more like 2023, IMO.
Yes it will take several years to be near to normal. If the vaccines make infections non transmittable then that will help a lot but there are still a big vaccine resistant community and the virus could persist there for a decade or more. I think the best we can expect is to make the virus not cause serious illness or death for those that are vaccinated

I am glad you are positive, I really am ... but it feels like you are saying others can't not feel that way because whever anyone mentions anything negative you shoot it down and say it isn't what the magic is about, etc.

whatever, like others have said, talking in circles

you all know how I feel and I'll leave it at that

TB12.

Last edited:
I agree completely. Frankly it was tiresome after the first ten times he kept posting nobody had a right to feel bad about this decision. Then next ten times made me want to rip out my hair and frankly, teed me off even more than I already was about this.

It’s a new year but getting told how to think about something is already getting very old.

Nice! He is a she, thanks. It was my own picture in my avatar 😂

I'm still looking through my posts on this topic to see where I said anything like that....oh, I didn't.
Like it, don't like it, I really don't care. I don't even know you to put you down.

Last edited:
As far as Voting with your money? We are. We are not going back to WDW, at all. We have had many good years of visiting and enjoyed all the free perks and also the feeling that disney actually cared about customer experiences. Now, IMO, those feelings have been eroded and the "bubble " has burst for us.
It feels kind of freeing, and I can't wait to go elsewhere, when things open up.
I used to get upset at all the changes and comment on them, BUT I never quit going to disney before. Our grown kids are not going anymore either due to these changes, and also because my son has teenage boys who love Universal more and don't care about disney anymore. So they are losing an entire family, but I guess they will just replace all of us.
This is just one more thing on top of alot of other "things" that finally made us realize that this is it. We used to go once or twice a year and flying from far away,too. It was our happy place with lots of good memories.
That time has passed with all the changes, so YES, we are voting with our money, and will spend it elsewhere.
I never thought I would be saying this.

Thought this was interesting read. It's not meant to insult anyone's feelings. It's an article discussing why it was discontinued and has some comments from Len Testa.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/w...u2YTT-cxmm5WUXCcO7mfACDlF-xwW30GZ4HRliAXQCgFA
That maybe partially part of the reason. We all know its mainly due to cost cutting. It's all they are good at anymore. I look at what Universal is doing with opening a new attraction soon as well as doing Mardi Gras. Yet Disney keeps cutting.

That maybe partially part of the reason. We all know its mainly due to cost cutting. It's all they are good at anymore. I look at what Universal is doing with opening a new attraction soon as well as doing Mardi Gras. Yet Disney keeps cutting.
Mardi Gras at Universal is a yearly event. Of course in 2021 it’s not their typical event but it’s not a big added bonus. It’s like Epcot doing festivals. I do not think that should be said in something universal is doing over Disney.

But, it's not like Disney hasn't been opening new attractions. They have Ratatouille, Guardians, and HarmoniUS all coming to Epcot, presumably this year, and other projects all in the works. I don't think it's fair to say Disney is only cutting things - they are definitely cutting certain things, but if you are going to compare to Universal as far as attractions go, they seem to be on similar footing.

But, it's not like Disney hasn't been opening new attractions. They have Ratatouille, Guardians, and HarmoniUS all coming to Epcot, presumably this year, and other projects all in the works. I don't think it's fair to say Disney is only cutting things - they are definitely cutting certain things, but if you are going to compare to Universal as far as attractions go, they seem to be on similar footing.

There’s a lot of “what have you done for me lately” around here. 3 new lands since 2017 and 3 new rides coming, but it’s never enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter