Magical Express to end in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have reported that overall DME ridership was lower even prior to covid.

We also don’t know that they aren’t coming up with something that is more efficient that they will charge for. Just because they said that there won’t be DME doesn’t mean they won’t announce something else for 2022 at some point in 2021.
We don't know. It's still taking something that was free away.

Sorry, I may have missed it as I have only read about 20 of the pages here but going back to renting a car or driving down to Orlando, how much is parking now at the resorts, $15-20 a night. So my 7-10 day vacation each year just increased by a couple hundred? So this goes back to Uber/Lyft as the main go to form of transportation? Will everyone in central Florida get a second job now with these company’s? Charlie

And uber lyft will set you back several hundred before the end of your trip.

So, why are they going to be charging for the DME in 2022? IMO, that is purely conspiracy theory. DVC actually can't do that per the contract...they can't charge for things they aren't providing and they are audited by an independent auditor each year to verify the budget versus the actual spend. Did you see some information stating that Disney will continue to charge for DME in 2022?
I don't believe DME is a separate item, just a part of the transportation costs for DVC members, so in reality we will never know.

I don't believe DME is a separate item, just a part of the transportation costs for DVC members, so in reality we will never know.
We as DVC owners don't see all the line items under "Transportation", but DVC absolutely has that info and it is examined by the auditors. DVC has an accounting for every dollar that was spent in each category, like "Transportation".

After reading the whole thread, I just wanted to chime in. We’ve always had great luck with DME. One trip in particular, we were at our resort within 45 minutes of landing. We walked right on the bus and it left immediately. Our longest wait for a bus has only ever been 20 minutes. Therefore, we have loved the service, especially the luggage piece. For us, it was incredibly convenient.

Prior to DME, we would hire a car service to get to the resort. This was fine, though it was an added expense. However, we were aware that it was an expense that needed to be factored in, much like the expense that I incur when I park my car at my home airport prior to the trip. What annoys me is that Disney gave us DME as a perk of staying on property, but it will soon be eliminated and the price will certainly not go down. But if you think about it, many people who choose to drive to Disney were then paying for DME despite not using the service. In fact, those who drive are charged twice, once for DME and again for resort parking.

We have one more trip planned before DME goes away. We will use it one last time when we arrive. But if the luggage service is still not operating, we will take an Uber back to the airport because I don’t fancy going up two floors with luggage in tow. I’d rather an Uber drop me right at my airline, so I can do curbside checkin.

I sympathize with those who don’t use ride share. But there are many other ways to get from the airport. Just Google car services in Orlando. There are a lot to choose from. It’s how we always did it in the past, prior to DME. And as others have stated, Mears will certainly offer a similar service. They would be stupid not to. So affordable options will be offered. They just won’t be hidden in the cost of your vacation.

All I ask is that the luggage service, including Resort Airline Checkin, returns. That is what I’m truly going to miss.

After reading the whole thread, I just wanted to chime in. We’ve always had great luck with DME. One trip in particular, we were at our resort within 45 minutes of landing. We walked right on the bus and it left immediately. Our longest wait for a bus has only ever been 20 minutes. Therefore, we have loved the service, especially the luggage piece. For us, it was incredibly convenient.

Prior to DME, we would hire a car service to get to the resort. This was fine, though it was an added expense. However, we were aware that it was an expense that needed to be factored in, much like the expense that I incur when I park my car at my home airport prior to the trip. What annoys me is that Disney gave us DME as a perk of staying on property, but it will soon be eliminated and the price will certainly not go down. But if you think about it, many people who choose to drive to Disney were then paying for DME despite not using the service. In fact, those who drive are charged twice, once for DME and again for resort parking.

We have one more trip planned before DME goes away. We will use it one last time when we arrive. But if the luggage service is still not operating, we will take an Uber back to the airport because I don’t fancy going up two floors with luggage in tow. I’d rather an Uber drop me right at my airline, so I can do curbside checkin.

I sympathize with those who don’t use ride share. But there are many other ways to get from the airport. Just Google car services in Orlando. There are a lot to choose from. It’s how we always did it in the past, prior to DME. And as others have stated, Mears will certainly offer a similar service. They would be stupid not to. So affordable options will be offered. They just won’t be hidden in the cost of your vacation.

All I ask is that the luggage service, including Resort Airline Checkin, returns. That is what I’m truly going to miss.
Good points and synopsis of this entire thread. Yes, DME going away really stinks for those that have become accustomed to using it on every trip. On the flip side, there are many options to get from MCO to a WDW resort and vice versa. All it takes is a little research. As a side note, I have commented numerous times (as have others) with specifics on really good services that have been used. And these services aren't too expensive. And, as you stated, the current options don't even included the Mears service that will be starting up in 2022.

The point you make about the luggage service is a good one. Personally, I don't think this story has been completely written yet. For people to think that either Disney or another company won't offer a similar service in the future is naive. Unmet needs = opportunity. The luggage service is an obvious unmet need starting in 2022. I am sure a service will spring up that offers to take luggage to/from MCO to the resorts.

I feel like the majority of the angst regarding DME is due to change. People tend not to like change. However, in time everyone who utilized DME will fall into a new routine for getting to/from the airport. And all will be right with the world.

We as DVC owners don't see all the line items under "Transportation", but DVC absolutely has that info and it is examined by the auditors. DVC has an accounting for every dollar that was spent in each category, like "Transportation".
DVC owners have the right to make an appointment to view the detailed financial records for the resorts they own, so if they want to see how much their resort was charged for DME in a given year they can do so. They can also review the new or current budget in detail and determine how much is estimated to be spent - or not - for a given line item in a given year.

So do you know, if so share please

So do you know, if so share please
DVC owners have the right to make an appointment to view the detailed financial records for the resorts they own, so if they want to see how much their resort was charged for DME in a given year they can do so. They can also review the new or current budget in detail and determine how much is estimated to be spent - or not - for a given line item in a given year.
Have I done this? No, but others have - it's been a number of years since I've seen a report on these boards, though.

Have I done this? No, but others have - it's been a number of years since I've seen a report on these boards, though.
would be interesting to see if DVC owners get a break on their dues since DME cost won't be passed along in '22. I doubt it...

Kinda proves my point that it costs Disney nothing to run this if we are paying for it.
That is actually not true. According to other sources, Disney was paying a flat yearly fee to Mears for DME. It wasn’t like a cost per rider sort of thing. And with resorts shut down for a long period of time, there is no one staying to pay those fees that are added into the resort fee. Because remember, it’s not just DVC members who are paying the cost of the DME. It is also added into the resort fee when cash guests stay. So Disney would be paying Mears yearly fee but not collecting those fees from guests. Disney is absolutely paying out of pocket for the DME right now. And with the future very uncertain in terms of how busy the resorts will be, that is just too much risk for Disney to take on.

That is actually not true. According to other sources, Disney was paying a flat yearly fee to Mears for DME. It wasn’t like a cost per rider sort of thing. And with resorts shut down for a long period of time, there is no one staying to pay those fees that are added into the resort fee. Because remember, it’s not just DVC members who are paying the cost of the DME. It is also added into the resort fee when cash guests stay. So Disney would be paying Mears yearly fee but not collecting those fees from guests. Disney is absolutely paying out of pocket for the DME right now. And with the future very uncertain in terms of how busy the resorts will be, that is just too much risk for Disney to take on.
They may be paying a yearly fee, maybe this year they may be out of pocket, but overall guests Have paid for this, Disney are not a charity, every single part of Disney has gone up well over the rate of inflation.

I don't believe I said it was paid for by just DVC members, just used DVC as way to show it is paid for as a separate item as you appear to know, I believe Disney has over 36,000 rooms they have added the dme price into every room price if it's only a dollar per night that's an awful lot of money per year, and we all know Disney doesn't raise room rates in small increments

They may be paying a yearly fee, maybe this year they may be out of pocket, but overall guests Have paid for this, Disney are not a charity, every single part of Disney has gone up well over the rate of inflation.

I don't believe I said it was paid for by just DVC members, just used DVC as way to show it is paid for as a separate item as you appear to know, I believe Disney has over 36,000 rooms they have added the dme price into every room price if it's only a dollar per night that's an awful lot of money per year, and we all know Disney doesn't raise room rates in small increments
I don't disagree that in normal times then the rooms are packed that guests were the ones paying for the majority of this. But the reports are that DME ridership has decreased over the years, even before covid. And with the advent of ride sharing services, those guest that do use DME can now easily travel offsite for dining or entertainment. So why would it make sense for Disney to have every guest paying for a service that is declining in usage, while the benefit to Disney for that service is also disappearing? And yet the check that Disney writes to Mears every year is still the same. I think Disney was ready to discontinue the DME and then COVID was the final straw because Disney was absorbing almost 100% of the cost in 2020 and 2021.

I don't disagree that in normal times then the rooms are packed that guests were the ones paying for the majority of this. But the reports are that DME ridership has decreased over the years, even before covid. And with the advent of ride sharing services, those guest that do use DME can now easily travel offsite for dining or entertainment. So why would it make sense for Disney to have every guest paying for a service that is declining in usage, while the benefit to Disney for that service is also disappearing? And yet the check that Disney writes to Mears every year is still the same. I think Disney was ready to discontinue the DME and then COVID was the final straw because Disney was absorbing almost 100% of the cost in 2020 and 2021.

I understand Disney's side of it as it's costing them money to operate it. Why do you keep dismissing the other side of it? The fact they keep cutting things that were free perks and most likely changing them to paid ones.

I understand Disney's side of it as it's costing them money to operate it. Why do you keep dismissing the other side of it? The fact they keep cutting things that were free perks and most likely changing them to paid ones.
I actually haven't dismissed that. I have said over and over that I feel bad and have empathy for those who utilized DME. But I also see both sides of things. I see the business decisions that Disney has to make. I understand that COVID was crushing to Disney's parks and resorts business. I am not going to crush Disney for getting rid of a declining service that was probably losing them money. Also, nothing is "free"...someone is paying for the services that appear to be "free".

I also think the story isn't over yet. Perks have always come and go. There will be more perks offered. I don't know what those will be yet, but Disney has always added and removed perks. People are just focusing on the ones that are removed because they are upset about them, which I 100% understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter