• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MagicBands 2.0 being phased out?

Sea of Progress

Mouseketeer
I have an upcoming trip and was hoping to pre-order the less expensive solid colored MagicBands 2.0 from MDE for my family (we are staying on site). Right now they mostly only have MagicBand+ available for pre-purchase and none of the solid color older version. Are they no longer making the older version MagicBands? The new frills of the MagicBand+ don't interest us much and it seems like a wast of money for our group. I miss they days when these were free!

It could be the solid MB2 are just sold out for pre-order. They supposedly sell out quickly when they are available. There had been supply issues with the MB2, but I don't know if that's still the case. They might be available on Shop Disney or at the parks once you get there, just not for the cheaper pre-order price. They have been releasing some new MB2, and the Galactic Starcruiser still gives guests MB2. I don't think they are being completely phase out, but they don't have a lot of incentive to sell the cheapest ones, solid MB2, for pre-order.

Sorry to hijack your thread but how much do the solid color MB2 cost in the parks?

Sorry to hijack your thread but how much do the solid color MB2 cost in the parks?
I would love to know this as well. We're headed there in a couple weeks and just have one family member who needs one.

I would love to know this as well. We're headed there in a couple weeks and just have one family member who needs one.

We had this issue too. Heading down this week, and one of our party didn’t have an existing MB2, and couldn’t get one online from Disney. They were actually able to find a large selection of brand new ones on eBay and it linked up fine to MDE. I suppose there’s always a risk one might not work but it was inexpensive so they are going to give it a shot.

if you already have Magic Bands....why bother. At this point we have 3 dozen bands all linked in a chain hanging from the closet. The "long range" raid means nothing to us. We just rotate out the old ones. My old school MB v1.0 looks way out of place, but that is why I enjoy using it.

if you already have Magic Bands....why bother. At this point we have 3 dozen bands all linked in a chain hanging from the closet. The "long range" raid means nothing to us. We just rotate out the old ones. My old school MB v1.0 looks way out of place, but that is why I enjoy using it.
LOL we were in the same situation with several sets of bands. But we just threw out all but the most recent bands that we have and will just use those.

We went last weekend and found that the parks had very limited options for MB2.0 (and usually more expensive limited edition MB2.0). The cheaper generic single color 19.99 versions were more commonly found in the hotel gift shops (and at Disney Springs according to a cast member)

Disney wants to sell you the most expensive MB they can. I wonder how long it will be before the cheapest one you will be able to find is $65 plus?

Please remember you don’t need a new MB for each trip. They stay linked in your MDE account until you delete them. They will continue to work for park admission, LL, etc. After a number of years the batteries may run down and won’t work for certain long range applications like photos. My newest one is almost 4 years old.

I kinda just want new ones, but I agree. If they don't restock the basic solid color MB2s in time for me to order, I'm simply using the ones we used last time (5 years ago).

I kinda just want new ones, but I agree. If they don't restock the basic solid color MB2s in time for me to order, I'm simply using the ones we used last time (5 years ago).

We just returned from a trip where 2 of us used MBs from 2020 and 2 used MBs from 2018 with no trouble at all. Put that money towards G+ or $ILLs and keep using the old ones!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter