MagicBands have arrived at Aulani

I’ve heard on and off for years that some people were able to use magic bands for one thing or another at Aulani. Worked for some, not for others. Unless I hear that the the tech is officially up and running and in full operation at Aulani, I’m a little skeptical. Maybe some of the door locks are just mistaking whatever’s in the magic band as a key card.

I’ve heard on and off for years that some people were able to use magic bands for one thing or another at Aulani. Worked for some, not for others. Unless I hear that the the tech is officially up and running and in full operation at Aulani, I’m a little skeptical. Maybe some of the door locks are just mistaking whatever’s in the magic band as a key card.
It's not new tech, it's how the room keys have worked for years.

Assuming you have everything linked in your Disney profile, the RFID reader doesn't care what physical device taps it. It doesn't matter if it's your phone, your band, or your room key. It just cares that this RFID code belongs to Paul, and Paul is staying in room 609. Therefore I'll let him in.

Also, Disney wasn't exactly hiding this:

magicbands-coming-soon-to-disneys-aulani-resort-in-hawaii.jpg

It's not new tech, it's how the room keys have worked for years.

Assuming you have everything linked in your Disney profile, the RFID reader doesn't care what physical device taps it. It doesn't matter if it's your phone, your band, or your room key. It just cares that this RFID code belongs to Paul, and Paul is staying in room 609. Therefore I'll let him in.

Also, Disney wasn't exactly hiding this:

View attachment 609493
This is great news! (Though, for the record, I never said it was new tech. We've all used them for years.) The thing is, my wife and I were there last winter and last spring, and both times cast members told me they weren't aware of any plans to utilize them at the resort. And many cast members had no idea what they were. So, frankly, I never thought it would happen. But clearly that has changed! It doesn't seem that they're currently on sale there. Hopefully sales will start soon.

This is great news! (Though, for the record, I never said it was new tech. We've all used them for years.) The thing is, my wife and I were there last winter and last spring, and both times cast members told me they weren't aware of any plans to utilize them at the resort. And many cast members had no idea what they were. So, frankly, I never thought it would happen. But clearly that has changed! It doesn't seem that they're currently on sale there. Hopefully sales will start soon.
Just make sure everything you do with Disney is under a single email address, and set up your Aulani Dashboard or whatever they call it.

We used magic bands at Aulani in early Sept, though we made sure to bring bands that I knew were already activated at other resorts. Most cast members were very familiar with the bands and how they worked. I would have loved to buy the magic band in post #1, had it been available.

You have to put the card somewhere…
My husband's swim trunks have pockets or we just hide it under a towel. I'm not too worried about someone taking it at the pool. I know some people use those water proof holders on lanyards too. Wish I had a Magic Band to test, but I think mine is too old now.

We brought our WDW magic bands from 2019 & were able to use them to open the parking gates, open the room door & pay for items at Ulu Cafe. I didn't try purchasing anywhere else using my magic band but i did find it convenient. The same problem I encounter at WDW parking is that I have to take off the MB to open the parking gate because my arm is too short to tap the MB to the sensor while it's on my wrist, is the same situation at Aulani.

Oddly enough, my Apple Watch wouldn't open the door at BLT earlier this month.
You won't be able to use your Apple Watch to open WDW hotel doors until WDW officially supports Apples new HotelKey feature in iOS 15. You can unlock your door using an iPhone, but you currently need to use the MDE mobile app to do so.

You won't be able to use your Apple Watch to open WDW hotel doors until WDW officially supports Apples new HotelKey feature in iOS 15.
I'm using the public beta for iOS 15, but don't think I was using it when I stayed in early September.

The official product description on the newest MagicBand design now explicitly states that they work at Aulani.

"Unlock the Magic with your MagicBand 2. MagicBands are a secure device which allows you to effortlessly engage, through the My Disney Experience mobile app, the plans and vacation choices you've made for the Walt Disney World Resort or Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa. With a simple touch, you can redeem Disney FastPass+ selections, enter any one of the theme parks, unlock your Disney Resort Hotel room door, connect Disney PhotoPass images to your account, charge food and merchandise purchases to your room, and more!*

MagicBands are colorful, waterproof wristbands - resembling a watch or bracelet - that you can quickly and easily touch to a sensor called a ''touch point.'' You have the option to purchase a MagicBand at Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa, Walt Disney World Resort theme parks, Disney Springs or shopDisney.com.** You can link your admission ticket via My Disney Experience and then use your MagicBand to enter the parks.

We brought our WDW magic bands from 2019 & were able to use them to open the parking gates, open the room door & pay for items at Ulu Cafe. I didn't try purchasing anywhere else using my magic band but i did find it convenient. The same problem I encounter at WDW parking is that I have to take off the MB to open the parking gate because my arm is too short to tap the MB to the sensor while it's on my wrist, is the same situation at Aulani.
We brought ours but never tried as we were told they wouldn't work. next time I'll give it a try.

The official product description on the newest MagicBand design now explicitly states that they work at Aulani.

"Unlock the Magic with your MagicBand 2. MagicBands are a secure device which allows you to effortlessly engage, through the My Disney Experience mobile app, the plans and vacation choices you've made for the Walt Disney World Resort or Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa. With a simple touch, you can redeem Disney FastPass+ selections, enter any one of the theme parks, unlock your Disney Resort Hotel room door, connect Disney PhotoPass images to your account, charge food and merchandise purchases to your room, and more!*

MagicBands are colorful, waterproof wristbands - resembling a watch or bracelet - that you can quickly and easily touch to a sensor called a ''touch point.'' You have the option to purchase a MagicBand at Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa, Walt Disney World Resort theme parks, Disney Springs or shopDisney.com.** You can link your admission ticket via My Disney Experience and then use your MagicBand to enter the parks.
This is exciting news that is long overdue!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter