Main Street Cinema Now A Store

There were benches in there. I sat on them and watched the Mickey cartoons over Memorial Day while I was waiting for DD and her friends (and it was raining). So I guess I was part of the “homeless problem” though I rather enjoyed having a place to sit out of rain with classic Mickey shorts.

There were benches in there. I sat on them and watched the Mickey cartoons over Memorial Day while I was waiting for DD and her friends (and it was raining). So I guess I was part of the “homeless problem” though I rather enjoyed having a place to sit out of rain with classic Mickey shorts.
I've never been in there, but I don't see why it would be a problem for people to sit in there to get away for a while. I mean, I understand if people are misbehaving, but if you're sitting, and relaxing, or even snoozing I don't see what the big deal is.

I don't necessarily like it, but I do understand it. The cinema is practically a ghost town every time I've stopped by. It makes sense to replace an attraction that gets such little use. However, do I think they should replace it with shopping? No, that seems unnecessary since the cinema is surrounded by shops carrying the same items. It would be nice to see them replace it with a different type of attraction, or spruce it up somehow to entice people to come in.

I agree that it does make sense to 'better' use the space, but retail is such overkill on Main Street when more shopping space is unnecessary.

How about "dinner and a movie"? Main street could DEFINITELY use overflow seating for those wanting to sit and eat their ice cream, corn dogs, coffees and treats from the candy shop. Maybe it's not ideal for those wishing for a quiet escape and preserve the bit of Disney history, but additional tables and chairs would be welcome in that part of the park (at least IMO).

I agree that it does make sense to 'better' use the space, but retail is such overkill on Main Street when more shopping space is unnecessary.

How about "dinner and a movie"? Main street could DEFINITELY use overflow seating for those wanting to sit and eat their ice cream, corn dogs, coffees and treats from the candy shop. Maybe it's not ideal for those wishing for a quiet escape and preserve the bit of Disney history, but additional tables and chairs would be welcome in that part of the park (at least IMO).

That's actually a great idea! They could leave the cartoons playing and bring the lighting up a bit, not totally bright but enough lighting to enjoy a meal. That would be a nice option.

Ok let's take this as a lesson and make sure to visit Mr. Lincoln every visit so the same thing does not happen there. The show is usually empty and often we are the only Americans in the theater!

Not many people went into the Cinema so they are repurposing that area. I'd say I loved it but only went in maybe 1 out of every 4 days in DL, so I guess I didn't love it that much.

I love the Main Street Cinema, but could go without people camping out in there for long periods of time. Last time we were in there, a gal was piled up in there with several belongings taking a quick snooze and it kind of put me off. In saying that, putting merchandise in there seems kind of silly to me and I hope its temporary.

Yes! Last time I was there, I popped in the cinema and there were a bunch of teenagers just camping out. They had clothes hanging over the railings in the center. They weren't really disturbing, but it seemed so odd. We dubbed the shanty town for the "vagabond children of Main Street!"

I don't really think it needs to be a store though.

Yes! Last time I was there, I popped in the cinema and there were a bunch of teenagers just camping out. They had clothes hanging over the railings in the center. They weren't really disturbing, but it seemed so odd. We dubbed the shanty town for the "vagabond children of Main Street!"

I don't really think it needs to be a store though.

Agreed! I don't mind if people take a quick break in there, but if you bring in tonnage and are draped across it taking a nap and you aren't a small child with a parent, uh... it makes it awkward for others.

Ok let's take this as a lesson and make sure to visit Mr. Lincoln every visit so the same thing does not happen there. The show is usually empty and often we are the only Americans in the theater!

Not many people went into the Cinema so they are repurposing that area. I'd say I loved it but only went in maybe 1 out of every 4 days in DL, so I guess I didn't love it that much.

I would be very sad indeed if they did away with Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. We go every trip (except the last one as it wasn't open).

:( damn. My son loved going in there to decompress from the parks. It was always dim light, he could sit and watch some videos and relax a bit in the cool before going back out into the parks. Hopefully it maintains it mellow roots maybe add a couple benches now that there are CMs in there...

This just breaks my heart. I don't know how to better utilize the space than by paying homage to Mickey. It's a fantastic place for kids and adults to watch the shorts that started it all, in a theater setting similar to how they would have been originally seen. It's not a huge space, who cares if not a lot of people go in there. It's the start of the Fab 5. Leave them be. If people are just lazing around in there to the point that it needs to be stopped, then have a cast member wander in every 10-15 minutes to move them on, but don't disrespect the origins of Disneyland. ::MickeyMo::MinnieMopluto::goofy::donald:

I have often wondered why they did not provide some sort of seating in there. I visit the Cinema when I want to get out of the heat. It is a treat to watch the old toons while taking a break inside a nice air conditioned space. The only drawback is you have to stand up the whole time. I am very disappointed they are now selling merch in the Cinema, and evidently it is the exact same merch you can get in any other store on MS. Big bummer.

I thought they renovated the entire space, but that's not what they did - they just set up a few tables in the same space. It looks pretty tacky. It's like a bad mash-up.

This just breaks my heart. I don't know how to better utilize the space than by paying homage to Mickey. It's a fantastic place for kids and adults to watch the shorts that started it all, in a theater setting similar to how they would have been originally seen. It's not a huge space, who cares if not a lot of people go in there. It's the start of the Fab 5. Leave them be. If people are just lazing around in there to the point that it needs to be stopped, then have a cast member wander in every 10-15 minutes to move them on, but don't disrespect the origins of Disneyland. ::MickeyMo::MinnieMopluto::goofy::donald:

The movies are still playing in there - the "cinema" still exists, it looks pretty much like it did before, albeit with some t-shirt tables scattered around now. They could very easily return it to the previous format, which I hope they do.

This discussion is reminding me, does anyone else remember when Disney stores in malls used to have a viewing area for kids? They still sort of do, but it's not quite the same. They used to have a big screen at the back of the store playing Disney cartoons or movies, and in front of the screen was a sloped area holding TONS of stuffed toys. I loved grabbing a stuffed Mickey and sitting down to watch. This would have been in the early to mid 90s.

I almost feel like, if they are set on changing the cinema to a store, they should just go all out and set it up like that, an area for kids to hang out and watch the cartoons while parents shop.

Yay! I’m glad they’ve changed it back. They could turn that space into something like the Blue Sky Cellar in DCA, show movie clips & previews or show the One Man’s Dream film. Just please don’t turn it into another merchandise location selling generic stuff available all across the park!

Sounds like the merch is being removed, at least for now, but they might still be exploring ways to get more people into the space.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201906/6843/
See? Those comments do get read/heard, DISers! We can make a difference. So send in those comments to let Disney know that we appreciate their listening to us!
Now let's hope that the next step for the Cinema is a positive one... and in the meantime, let's visit that Cinema and show it the love it deserves!

I doubt that you were part of the "homeless problem"! The Cinema was a good meeting spot because it was so easy to find, even for first timers.

I've never been in there, but I don't see why it would be a problem for people to sit in there to get away for a while. I mean, I understand if people are misbehaving, but if you're sitting, and relaxing, or even snoozing I don't see what the big deal is.
No problem for anyone enjoying the cartoons and resting for a bit -- that was one of the joys of the Cinema! (And hopefully is again now that the merchandise has been removed!) But when all the benches were taken up by snoring guests and their baggage (think Fred Flintstone surrounded by loads of Disney bags) and rambunctious kids with oblivious parents yakking on their phones, there was just no peace in there! We went in there on a Grand Circle Tour and the guide almost had to yell to be heard over the phone yakkers and rowdy kids.

I'm glad this batch of merchandise was taken out. It looked so out of place. Now, if they set up merch tastefully (maybe make it look like a theater concession stand) and sold items themed to that era of films, I would feel fine with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter