Major Hurricane Ian forecast to hit Florida next week, may be Florida's biggest in years, state of emergency declared by Florida Governor

TFM1980

Earning My Ears
Things could still change, but it appears that it is projected that Hurricane Ian will hit Florida next on Tuesday and Wednesday as a Category 3 Hurricane. See reporting here. Florida Governor Desantis has already declared a state of emergency in 24 counties. The storm appears on track to move through the entire state and then possibly target the Bahamas afterward.

I'm guessing those on cruises next week may see some changes.

Very scary. We are suppose to get on the Wish Monday and do back to back.

Will they cancel? How soon will we know?

We are driving down from Toronto , left today and are suppose to be there on Sunday .

We are driving down from Toronto , left today and are suppose to be there on Sunday .
We are supposed to be on your second cruise on Friday 9/30, flying in on Thursday 9/29. I don't know if I am more concerned they will cancel or more concerned they won't - if DCL doesn't cancel but our flights do I am really in a bind. I usually buy insurance, but I have had so many other cruises this year and this one seemed so short I just never did - except one person in my party by accident LOL. I do think I have insurance on the flights but am not 100% sure.

We are supposed to be on your second cruise on Friday 9/30, flying in on Thursday 9/29. I don't know if I am more concerned they will cancel or more concerned they won't - if DCL doesn't cancel but our flights do I am really in a bind. I usually buy insurance, but I have had so many other cruises this year and this one seemed so short I just never did - except one person in my party by accident LOL. I do think I have insurance on the flights but am not 100% sure.
I am on that cruise. I just decided to fly in on Monday instead and spend a few nights extra at WDW. I rather get there before and deal with the weather then miss the cruise because flights are messed up. But I am fortunate that I have the ability to just go whenever I want.

We are in exactly the same boat (no pun intended). Supposed to get on the Wish on 9/30, flying in on 9/29, and also did not remember to get insurance. Bah!

Fingers crossed!

We are in exactly the same boat (no pun intended). Supposed to get on the Wish on 9/30, flying in on 9/29, and also did not remember to get insurance. Bah!

Fingers crossed!
I'm also on the Wish at that same time. The current forecast has the hurricane hitting between Fort Myers and Tampa Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. It will probably reach Jacksonville early Thursday. However, it's really too early to tell, but Port Canaveral should be fine by Friday.

Reactions: NAB

I'm also on the Wish at that same time. The current forecast has the hurricane hitting between Fort Myers and Tampa Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. It will probably reach Jacksonville early Thursday. However, it's really too early to tell, but Port Canaveral should be fine by Friday.
I think the cruise will go forward, most likely. I am more concerned with my flights on Thursday morning. Even if it has passed, I am concerned about being able to fly and our flights being cancelled - we are coming from NC and Ohio - multiple families in my group).

I follow Denis Phillip out if Tampa. He thinks Thursday flights will be fine. I am however flying out Wednesday so I’ll be waiting to see if I get canceled or not.

While still in the Atlantic Ocean, hurricane Irma was a Cat 5. But hurricanes lose power over land. When Irma passed over Disney World it was hovering between a Cat 2 and a Cat 1.

Last edited:
We fly out Thursday evening. Even if the storm has made it's way through Florida, I expect we will have a bumpy ride if it travels up the east coast.

If there are any Western Caribbean cruises next week, they will turn into Bahamas, Eastern Caribbean, or just a bunch of days at sea.

Wish should be fine to depart on 9-30. Ian will be long gone by them. Its the folks trying to arrive Tues.-Thurs. via an airline that will have an adventure!

Wish should be fine to depart on 9-30. Ian will be long gone by them. Its the folks trying to arrive Tues.-Thurs. via an airline that will have an adventure!
Yes, this is my concern exactly. The flight in on Thursday morning. It seems with every update the landfall keeps getting pushed back. But the days before and after landfall will almost certainly effect flights into MCO so unless it veers west, or slows down and comes to Fl on Saturday or Sunday, I am concerned I might have issues.

I want to add, as someone who grew up in Florida and went through quite a few hurricanes, I feel a little guilty being so concerned about my cruise when so many people are in fear of flooding or their homes being destroyed by Ian. So I am aware that whether my family and I get to go on a 3 day cruise, or even if I lose all the money I have put out on flights, etc., is not nearly as important as what those people are going through and I don't mean to minimize those concerns, and I apologize if it seems insensitive to anyone. But having said that, I cannot help being concerned about how this effects not only my family's cruise, but my pocketbook even though I am aware I am lucky that I don't have a home sitting in the path of the hurricane.

Yes, this is my concern exactly. The flight in on Thursday morning. It seems with every update the landfall keeps getting pushed back. But the days before and after landfall will almost certainly effect flights into MCO so unless it veers west, or slows down and comes to Fl on Saturday or Sunday, I am concerned I might have issues.
We're on the October 1st Fantasy sailing and have a Friday afternoon flight from TX, so I am worried too that with all the weather incidences that we will have delays/cancellations. It most definitely will be a full flight if it does manage to depart on time I betting though with all the other flights that will have issues on days prior.

I want to add, as someone who grew up in Florida and went through quite a few hurricanes, I feel a little guilty being so concerned about my cruise when so many people are in fear of flooding or their homes being destroyed by Ian. So I am aware that whether my family and I get to go on a 3 day cruise, or even if I lose all the money I have put out on flights, etc., is not nearly as important as what those people are going through and I don't mean to minimize those concerns, and I apologize if it seems insensitive to anyone. But having said that, I cannot help being concerned about how this effects not only my family's cruise, but my pocketbook even though I am aware I am lucky that I don't have a home sitting in the path of the hurricane.
You know you can have those feelings about your trip and finances and still be concerned about others. Those feelings aren't mutually exclusive :)

My experience has been they don't cancel. They rerouted us several times when I have been on cruises with storms out in the path of the cruise destination. That being said, I have never been booked to leave when one hit land near our boarding port.

My experience has been they don't cancel. They rerouted us several times when I have been on cruises with storms out in the path of the cruise destination. That being said, I have never been booked to leave when one hit land near our boarding port.
I agree, unless the hurricane is hitting the actual port on the departure day, they don't cancel, they re-route, maybe delay departure or return.

Just getting in to Port Canaveral can be a challenge though. Not just the flights in but the roads can be clogged with people trying to leave.

One time during a hurricane everyone was fleeing north, I was trying to head south on I-95. For miles I was passing just a huge northbound traffic jam on I-95 and I was so glad I wasn't in it. Then I go to, I think Daytona, and FHP had the exit to I-4 blocked, wouldn't let us go further on I-95 or get off on I-4 (towards Orlando). We had to turn around and....sit in that long traffic jam I had just driven past.

And any part of the state that is not effected by the hurricane is often a place where people flee to, and then the hotels fill up. I have a hotel booked at Cape Canaveral Thursday night - I have to cancel by Monday night. If I cancel out of caution, then try and rebook because the hurricane is going to skirt the state to the west and things are good for the cruise going forward, the hotel may have filled up with people fleeing the western part of the state. Or even if not completely full, and despite the state of emergency and the fact they shouldn't be price gouging, they will charge the full "rack room rate" that they NEVER charge.

So just a lot of decisions and moving parts here that can be the wrong decision if the forecasts are wrong or off even a little.

I think the cruise will go forward, most likely. I am more concerned with my flights on Thursday morning. Even if it has passed, I am concerned about being able to fly and our flights being cancelled - we are coming from NC and Ohio - multiple families in my group).
If you’re flying on American please sign up to get the text updates to your phone because they’ve been canceling like crazy lately

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter