• Controversial Topics Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Make a Wish (and other organizations) - Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume SIX!

Thanks! I thought those are always included? I wasn't sure if we could do another Disney day or do another attraction?

1) You work with your Wish Grantor to set the schedules.
2) He/she can help with the day-by-day and park-by-park planning.
3) There is no "set" plan or schedule for Orlando Wish trips.

NOTE: Let me know your dates when finally scheduled, and maybe we can meet-up. I am at GKTW almost every 3rd-Wednesday-of-the-month, and frequently more often.

First post in the thread, and I have a question :). I asked it in the PTR I just made, but others may have similar questions. Our trip will be myself and hubby, and our 12 year old daughter and 8 year old son (wish kid.) We haven't even met with our wish granters yet, lol, but I'm so excited to find out that my son will be granted a wish, and he wants to go to Disney and Universal. My son has his own medical stroller, it's important that we take it because it is comfortable and reclines, and he tires more quickly than a lot of kids. However, all four of us have a connective tissue disease a well (hubby and I both found out we have EDS when we went to the geneticist about our kids.) Hubby has type 1 diabetes and is disabled with really bad neuropathy pain. I am not technically on disability, but I also have fibromyalgia and deteriorated joints in my back. Our daughter is 12 and the connective tissue disease really affects her feet and legs - she cannot walk distances like that without extreme pain. So we are pretty much 4 mobility challenged individuals... I have a couple questions. Has MAW paid for anyone to rent scooters in the parks each day? Realistically we need to rent two of them each day. Hoping that hubby, our daughter, and myself can take turns pushing our son in his stroller and the other two of us can drive scooters. Also wondering if they will let our 12 year old daughter drive a rented scooter in the parks? She has driven them in stores when she is having bad foot and leg pain, but doesn't always need one.

Probably not doing this right, but here is my pre-trip report initial post http://www.disboards.com/threads/da...dates-to-be-determined.3487087/#post-55245033

First - :welcome: and I'm glad your son will getting a WISH!

I can't speak for what MAW will do... but you must be 18 to rent an ECV or drive one rented from either WDW or most offsite vendors. I am aware of only 1 offsite vendor that will rent to an "older" teen who uses an ECV at home, and I'm fairly certain they would not consider 12 to be an "older teen." Now, if she happens to have her own, or rent/borrow one at home to bring, she is allowed to use it. Is there a medical supply store near home that will rent to you for her use? Or an agency with an equipment swap or loan program you could borrow from? I believe some Lions Clubs get involved in helping people obtain needed mobility aids, maybe you have a program like that near you. Something to start looking into now before your plans are all set. Good luck!

Enjoy your wish trip!

1) You work with your Wish Grantor to set the schedules.
2) He/she can help with the day-by-day and park-by-park planning.
3) There is no "set" plan or schedule for Orlando Wish trips.

NOTE: Let me know your dates when finally scheduled, and maybe we can meet-up. I am at GKTW almost every 3rd-Wednesday-of-the-month, and frequently more often.

Yes, I will let you know when we get our dates. Thank you for the info also.

I have a couple of friends that have made Wish Trips, and a friend that goes a couple times a year. They have told me that if we need to rent an ECV, that we need to let Make A Wish know, and they may rent it offsite and have it delivered to the villa. Then we would have to ride the Mears transportation. Has this been anyone's experience? I'd much prefer to get one in the parks, and use the rental car.

I have a couple of friends that have made Wish Trips, and a friend that goes a couple times a year. They have told me that if we need to rent an ECV, that we need to let Make A Wish know, and they may rent it offsite and have it delivered to the villa. Then we would have to ride the Mears transportation. Has this been anyone's experience? I'd much prefer to get one in the parks, and use the rental car.
I got the same advice for my 16 year old.

Okay, a couple of Disney and MAW vets were able to give me a little bit of insight on the ECV situation. I still don't exactly have the answers to all my questions (In fact it brought up more questions) but it has helped some. I was told that MAW will rent an ECV for adults that do have the need for them and you will have to do the Mears transportation thing. The main reasons seem to be it is cheaper for MAW PLUS the parks often run out of ECVs and even wheelchairs at peak times. We won't make it without at least one ECV, there is no way. We really need two. My husband is disabled and I know I can't walk for very long at a time without being in extreme pain.

Our daughter can walk for longer stretches, but there is no way she can do all of the walking plus push her brother the whole time in his stroller. She physically can't and it would be unfair to expect her to do so. She's 12 and has significant problems with her feet and ankles due to the connective tissue disorder. I think she can walk most of the time as long as we take breaks.

What is the situation with MAW possibly paying for the airfare and tickets for a helper? All of the grandparents are disabled as well (apparently we don't have a great gene pool...) and none of them could realistically help if they came. The aunts and uncles are either disabled, or work full time and could not get away. We do have a 14 year old nephew that is the sweetest boy and he and our kids are close and great friends. He is perfect healthy, and we would love to see if he could come with us to push our son in his medical stroller. We have no money to pay for him to come along and his parents don't either.

Okay, a couple of Disney and MAW vets were able to give me a little bit of insight on the ECV situation. I still don't exactly have the answers to all my questions (In fact it brought up more questions) but it has helped some. I was told that MAW will rent an ECV for adults that do have the need for them and you will have to do the Mears transportation thing. The main reasons seem to be it is cheaper for MAW PLUS the parks often run out of ECVs and even wheelchairs at peak times. We won't make it without at least one ECV, there is no way. We really need two. My husband is disabled and I know I can't walk for very long at a time without being in extreme pain.

Our daughter can walk for longer stretches, but there is no way she can do all of the walking plus push her brother the whole time in his stroller. She physically can't and it would be unfair to expect her to do so. She's 12 and has significant problems with her feet and ankles due to the connective tissue disorder. I think she can walk most of the time as long as we take breaks.

What is the situation with MAW possibly paying for the airfare and tickets for a helper? All of the grandparents are disabled as well (apparently we don't have a great gene pool...) and none of them could realistically help if they came. The aunts and uncles are either disabled, or work full time and could not get away. We do have a 14 year old nephew that is the sweetest boy and he and our kids are close and great friends. He is perfect healthy, and we would love to see if he could come with us to push our son in his medical stroller. We have no money to pay for him to come along and his parents don't either.
. I am single, my daughter is an only child. Our chapter paid for one helper and one playmate to come along, so my sister and niece came. I would ask, they might say yes

Our wish granting volunteers will be visiting us on Sunday. We are so excited to meet them and talk about Eve's wish. It's been a rough couple of weeks medically so this will be something fun to look forward to.

We had such a wonderful time meeting our wish granting volunteers. We chose GKTW village and we will probably extend our trip by 2 days and stay near Clearwater to visit Winter and Hope dolphins. We were also encouraged to let them know restaurants we would like reservations for. My daughter eats a very limited diet, so we are hoping to find a restaurant she would like for the entertainment or visual appeal because the food part won't be as important to her. We are excited to begin this wish experience. We are looking to travel end of December/first week of January.

After 3 previous trip cancellations, we finally made it on our Dreams Come True trip to Give Kids the World Village! It was amazing...! We came close to cancelling a 4th time, as our DD15 went back into the hospital a few days before we were to leave on this trip. Luckily, we were cleared to go and it was the best time ever for her and our family. I have a few thoughts that may be helpful to other families so I will jot them here...
Give Kids the World:
VILLAS
1) GKTW Villas are so comfortable. We had 8 people in a 2 bedroom 2 bath villa and it was fine. (They told us we might feel cramped, but not at all.) The decor is bright and cheerful and very tasteful.
2) The kitchen is not a full kitchen. The dishwasher is tiny. There is a full size refrigerator with water and ice through the door (both cubed and crushed). A coffee pot, toaster, and microwave, but NO stove or oven (which surprised me).
3) Our Dream Coordinator from Dreams Come True had an electric hospital bed and IV pole waiting for us in our villa; in the children's room, along with 2 very comfortable twin beds.
4) The Dream Child gets an ensuite bathroom which includes a jacuzzi and a separate HA shower with river rock floor. The things I noticed about this bathroom is that the lighting is a little dim and the water pressure was low. The temperature was fine. But the space was HUGE! This is where we stored her wheelchair when not in use, and it was never in the way. The Hall Bath has a toilet and shower, but the space is very tight. You have to close the bathroom door to get into the shower.
5) None of the interior doors have locks... this includes the bathrooms! So you might want to bring a sign that the bathroom is occupied!
6) The refrigerators are NOT magnetic, so no magnets will stick. However, the exterior doors are metal and white, so that is a good place to put your schedules and notices with a magnet. Just be careful not to scrape the paint.
VILLAGE
1) The food: ALL of it was delicious! Perkins, Boston Market, Papa Johns are all sponsors and provide most of the food.
2) There is morning to late night ICE CREAM sponsored by Friendlies. You can get sundaes, banana splits, cones... you name it. We LOVED this! There is every flavor from Orange or Rainbow sherbet, to Cookies and Cream, Strawberry, Chocolate, Mint Choc. Chip, etc... There are sprinkles, cherries, and whipped cream to be added. Or if you prefer M&M's! There are no nuts to add, but there is Butter Pecan if you crave ice cream with nuts!
3) There are parties every night... and they are all FUN!
4) There are characters from all the parks available in the morning for autographs and pictures. This was lovely! One morning it was Disney, another it was Nickolodeon... etc.
5) When you go into the Food Court at Town Hall to get meals, there is always a volunteer asking to assist your family by carrying your tray, getting silverware, drinks, you name it; then helping you find a table.
6) The playground is so accessible and we wish we had spent more time there.
7) There is also a mini-amusement park with rides that are really fun.
8) The carousel ride was near the ice cream building and on our way back to our villa so WIN-WIN!

Sea World
1) This was our first park to visit and our LEAST favorite. No one was helpful to us (except for one or two photographers).
2) Favorite ride was Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins. If your child can take a little spinning choose the WILD option. We chose MILD and wish we had done the other.
3) Cast Members here were not well trained (across the board). We tried to take our DD15 on the Shamu Coaster (which is the kiddie coaster) and had so much push back and no help. We have an anti-skid cushion that we wanted our DD15 to sit on and they said no loose articles. Well, it won't be loose because she is sitting on it! In fact, we were already on the ride and ready to go, but they did not want her to sit on the cushion for "safety reasons". So I gave the cushion to my DH and he was HOLDING it (so now it is a loose item), but that was OK? :headache: Then they told me my purse could not go on the ride, but they would not be responsible for it while we rode. There was no where to leave it except on the wheelchair. It would have been so much easier if they had told us all this before the ride. We were in the exit queue and had multiple interactions with the Cast Members before loading, so there was time to let us know.
4) The only show we saw was ONE OCEAN with the orcas. Our DD15 did not like it and we wish we had skipped it altogether. (The music is LOUD and we were about half-way up the stadium.) We were told to find a certain Cast Member to show us where to sit. When she pointed to the stairs and the upper decks, I asked how we were supposed to get the wheelchair up there? She then pointed to the Wheelchair seating on the level I was standing. So no special treatment in this park, other than 2 photographers at the beginning of our day. It could be that this was Spring Break and the Cast Members were a bit frazzled? But for our first park on our Dream Trip we were pretty let down and left early.
5) When you leave you get to choose one 6X8" photograph as a free souvenir. (Of course, the rest are available for purchase.)
6) The drive to Sea World was not bad, but coming home the traffic was horrendous on I-4. Very Stressful and took a long time to return to GKTW. Don't know if better planning could have avoided this since it was Spring Break and rush hour is from 4 to almost 7 PM.

Universal Studios
1) Both parks were hit and miss. We had some fabulous interaction and some frustrations at these two parks. Our BIGGEST issue was that for each and every ride we had to demonstrate that our DD15 could sit on her own, hold her head up, and grasp the lap bar. They would not take our word for it. Also, they would not let her wear her safety harness in her wheelchair on the ride. OK..... now correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be safer to have her wear the harness in addition to their lap bar?? Our general consensus was that these tests were meant to discourage us, because it does take more time and effort to load a wheelchair than a person who can walk-on. Some of these tests were so ridiculous... especially for Cat In The Hat and the ET Rides.... We actually agreed to transfer our DD15 from her wheelchair onto a regular seat on the ET ride, because the Cast Lead would not believe she was capable. The Cast Leader then told us we could not touch her, that if they saw we were touching her at any time on the ride they would stop it. After lifting her into a seat, pulling down the lap bar and putting her hands on the handlebars, the Cast Lead could see she could do it. She then pushed her and shook her to see if she could "handle it". ***??? :furious: I looked at this woman and said OK, she has passed every test you have given her. I can see that this is going to be SOooooo much safer than her riding in her wheelchair. So let's get going. The Cast Lead then said "let's put her back in her wheelchair". OMG@@@@!! That whole shenanigans must have taken 40 minutes.:sad2: She rode that ride perfectly all by herself and LOVED it! But the frustration level was so HIGH to get on that ride. I have to say that it was ultimately worth it for my daughter's sake, but I let the Cast Leader know this was really beyond what was necessary for safety. No one's mother is more concerned with SAFETY than that of a Special Needs child.... (I can only imagine the Law Suits that must have preceded the implementation of these Safety Rules...) Later that day I ran into another child with a GKTW button who told me not to bother going on ET because they won't let her ride. I turned to her and said, oh yes they did. She was shocked! She said her daughter not only couldn't ride that they made her go through the regular line. I told her to show them the Universal Gold card her daughter was wearing, and ask to speak to a Manager or Team Leader. Later that day back at the Village she said they had indeed gone on the ride. But also echoed my sentiments about what a hassle every ride turned out to be.
2) The Barney show was adorable and we all loved it!
3) Finnegans was very accommodating for lunch and so was Mythos. We enjoyed our meals at both of these restaurants very much.
4) We were also VERY happy with our parking and security screening experience. We were allowed to go through the Cast Member screening which was a breeze with no lines. AWESOME!
5) Drive time to the park was not bad. Driving home? See number 6 under Sea World. It was bad both days....
6) Universal did not have a special VIP lounge. If we needed to change her or take a break, we headed to first aid. However, I did have access to the American Express Lounge. It was small and crowded and really not relaxing at all.

Disney World
1) This was our FAVORITE experience of all! Disney knows how to do it right. Everyone was courteous and professional with an extra helping of kindness! All Cast Members seemed to know exactly what to do.
2) There were no pressure tests to prove she could ride.... YAY for BTMRR! She also had no problems using her gripper cushions on Expedition Everest which is much more of a roller coaster than Shamu..:rolleyes1
3) We also had better driving experiences to Disney since we did not have to get onto I-4. Rush hour going back was a little more stressful, but that is the nature of Orlando/Kissimmee.
4) Parking was great everywhere but the Magic Kingdom. You have to park at the Ticket & Transportation Center, then take the ferry. The monorail was very backed up and they were loading buses to take people to the MK entrance, but no strollers or wheelchairs were allowed, so we took the ferry. You just have to take care when getting on so your punkin doesn't get squished (and you don't run into people ahead of you).
5) We visited every park except EPCOT. We would have made it over there, but time got away from us and by the end of the week we were dodging rain drops.. so we skipped that one park.
6) The Magic Kingdom had a Wish Lounge that we used to relax while DD15 got to lay down in First Aid for a break. It was a nice quiet respite.
7) Double rides.... this was the only theme park that allowed us to go around 2X if we wanted to on a ride. Some we did, others we did not... but it was a very nice benefit and so different from the other two parks (SeaWord;Universal).
8) Character Interaction and Photopass photographers were the BEST here! Disney knows how to charm their little visitors (and parents, too)!
9) Shows! Beauty and the Beast... Lion King.... Finding Nemo!! Disney had the Best Shows HANDS DOWN!

LOL! My short synapsis is getting long (so sorry!) So I will say that our trip was soooo worth it to us for all of the joy it brought our daugher, Phoebe. By the end of the week, she was just smiling all the time! That was more than precious, it was uplifting. :lovestruc So THANK YOU to ALL :worship: volunteers and Wish Granting Organizations and Sponsors. I would never have believed before this trip how wonderful it would all be. I know our experience has inspired me to want to volunteer myself when I am in the Orlando area. Please feel free to ask or PM me with any questions you may have of this trip!

Last edited:
Disbug, thank you! Your advice is so helpful as we plan for our trip.

Hi! My son was just told that he gets to Make-A-Wish and he really wants to go to Florida so he can visit Disney and Lego Land. I'm so nervous about letting him get excited about it because what if they don't grant his wish? Do they do that? It seems like one of the most common Wishes is Disney, so I'm hopeful but still apprehensive. He also is SUPER nervous about flying. I've read that MAW provides a rental car, do you think it's unreasonable to ask about just renting it in our home state and driving down? I guess I'm just looking for tips on how to phrase the request. It feels really uncomfortable asking for things from an organization that is offering such a wonderful gift! :)

Hi! My son was just told that he gets to Make-A-Wish and he really wants to go to Florida so he can visit Disney and Lego Land. I'm so nervous about letting him get excited about it because what if they don't grant his wish? Do they do that? It seems like one of the most common Wishes is Disney, so I'm hopeful but still apprehensive. He also is SUPER nervous about flying. I've read that MAW provides a rental car, do you think it's unreasonable to ask about just renting it in our home state and driving down? I guess I'm just looking for tips on how to phrase the request. It feels really uncomfortable asking for things from an organization that is offering such a wonderful gift! :)

Congrats on your wish. We have not had our trip, but have met with our wish granters. They said Disney is the most common wish and one that she could almost guarantee us will happen (although they are not supposed to say that until the chapter approves it). We are driving down and talked about which rental vehicle would be best for us due to wheelchairs, so yes, you can drive. It actually saves them money in our case.

DisneyLAND Make-a-Wish pre-trip report
My son is getting the Disney trip of his dreams; a million thanks to Make-A-Wish. We are T minus 7 days away from his dream!! My sweet boy is six years old and the first several years of his life were filled with abuse, abandonment, a life threatening illness and finally triumph. He was born into a family that unfortunately was filled with drugs, abuse and neglect. If that wasn't bad enough at 23 months old he was diagnosed with leukemia. His first hospital stay was three months and he only had a couple quick visits from his mom during the first two weeks of the admission. Fast forward a year and a half, intensive chemotherapy, several hospitalizations, two different foster homes and this sweet boy becomes part of my family. I met him when I was a nurse on the pediatric hematology oncology unit and he stole my heart. Fast forward another two years filled with more chemotherapy, tons of ER visits, lots of paperwork and home visits from social workers, and the diagnosis of a signifiant developmental delay (poor kid can't catch a break)...drum roll please...in the summer of 2014 after three and a half years of chemo he is done with treatment and nearly two years after starting the adoption process he legally has his forever home and we couldn't be more blessed to have him. The wish process started about a year ago and as he was unable to verbalize his wish the wish grantors did an amazing job of picking up his LOVE of Disney Cars. His wish was approved last year and we couldn't be more excited. I am keeping the trip a surprise, it will be his first time to the happiest place on earth and he will be beside himself. I can't even imagine what will be going through his mind as he walks into Cars Land. It makes me smile just thinking about it!!

All we know at this point is that we are getting 5 nights at the Paradise Pier hotel with this basic itinerary:

Monday- check in to hotel
Tuesday- Disney parks
Wednesday- Disney parks
Thursday- Knott's berry Farm with Medieval Times for dinner
Friday- Disney parks
Saturday- Check out

We are having a wish reveal party this week at Johns Incredible Pizza and hopefully we will get some of the finalized details. I will keep you posted!!

I am very grateful for this thread. My daughter is 16 and was approved for her wish/dream trip by our Dream Factory chapter. We are staying at GKTW July 5-11. She has Juvenile Spondyloarthrapy Arthritis and can be great one day and unable to get out of bed the next due to her joints being swollen and painful.
We have less than two months to plan, so the planner in me is trying to accept that I will not be able to prepare like I usually do for trips.

This will be our first Disney trip as a family. DD had a day at Universal in January with her HS band. I had 4 hours in MK in 1988 on a high school choir trip, and eldest DD had three days when her choir performed at WDW four years ago. DH has always wanted to go, but medical expenses have eaten the budget for years.

This thread has given me good advice and tips such as making sure the chapter rents a ECV for her. While she would be able to walk the parks one day, she would need days to recover, so a scooter will let her spend her energy having fun rather than walking.

Thank you so much for hosting this thread. Any tips or feedback for teens at GKTW would be great.

Last edited:
I am very grateful for this thread. My daughter is 16 and was approved for her wish/dream trip by our Dream Factory chapter. We are staying at GKTW July 5-11. She has Juvenile Spondyloarthrapy Arthritis and can be great one day and unable to get out of bed the next due to her joints being swollen and painful.
We have less than two months to plan, so the planner in me is trying to accept that I will not be able to prepare like I usually do for trips.

This will be our first Disney trip as a family. DD had a day at Universal in January with her HS band. I had 4 hours in MK in 1988 on a high school choir trip, and eldest DD had three days when her choir performed at WDW four years ago. DH has always wanted to go, but medical expenses have eaten the budget for years.

This thread has given me good advice and tips such as making sure the chapter rents a ECV for her. While she would be able to walk the parks one day, she would need days to recover, so a scooter will let her spend her energy having fun rather than walking.

Thank you so much for hosting this thread. Any tips or feedback for teens at GKTW would be great.
Don't worry too much about planning, just make a few dining reservations. When we went the trip took so much out of my daughter we did a lot less than planned, so keeping things spontaneous will make a more relaxed atmosphere/ take off the pressure to do everything if your daughter has a bad day. The front of line access frees up so much time and gives such flexibility it's incredible. And your tickets are park hoppers, so that gives more flexibility. Just go with the flow and don't worry so much about planning.

I am a wish mom of two boys (oldest made a wish for a Service Dog) and youngest will be making a wish we were told this past week by the complex care doctor! Both my boys have MITO, Primary Immunodeficincies and multiple other diagnosis's. You gest also has seizures. I am really worried anoutall the walking as my husband and I are disabled veterans and I have a wheelchair for use when needed ( I also have MITO) but DH does not and we will need an ECV but we want to take our vehicle. I am also a former wishgranter so have lots of info on how MAW operates and will be glad to help! My youngest has expressed interest in Disney as his wish and we now live in FL only 50 miles from Mickey so this should be fun to plan! Excited to read more and get info about wish trips as I am not up to dateon new park info!!! Thanks❤️

As a former wishgranter I can honestly say YOU should tell them you prefer to rent a car and drive! You have to be ckeared medically to fly and if he is nervous about it then just tell them it would be better medically of you all drive

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter