• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Making T-shirts- Need Ink Jet Printer?

MoeFam

Mouseketeer
Hi All-

We would like to try some iron on transfer shirts for our trip in May. The paper I purchased today at Michaels ( dark transfer paper) states it is for ink jet printers. Do you have to use an ink jet printer or can it be a color laser printer? Any ideas? Also- we do not have a color printer, would a place like Kinko's or Staples be able to do this for us ( print our computer image to the transfer paper) or are we better off asking at a graphic design type place?

Thanks for any help!

I have always appliqued all our shirts and the kids clothes- but our older son is over that stage and really likes some the Star Wars designs better. :lmao:

I just used my normal printer. Didnt change out the ink or anything, printed them out on the iron on xfer paper and they came out beautifully and stayed on through washings. HTH :thumbsup2

I asked the same question about a year ago because we only have a laser printer. Some one suggested that laser printers won't work because they get too hot (and melt the transfer). I can't tell you for sure, because I didn't want to risk it. I asked a friend if I could print them on her printer.

I'm guessing Staples/Kinkos are probably laser printers anyway, but you might run in to them giving you a hard time about printing copyright stuff. :confused3

Your best bet would probably be to ask your friends if anyone has an inkjet you can use.

I asked the same question about a year ago because we only have a laser printer. Some one suggested that laser printers won't work because they get too hot (and melt the transfer). I can't tell you for sure, because I didn't want to risk it. I asked a friend if I could print them on her printer.

I'm guessing Staples/Kinkos are probably laser printers anyway, but you might run in to them giving you a hard time about printing copyright stuff. :confused3

Your best bet would probably be to ask your friends if anyone has an inkjet you can use.

Exactly that! Laser printers use toner which transfers to the paper with the use of heat. Inkjet printers use a liquid form of ink which unless frozen gets applied on top of many materials regardless of the temperature.

Inkjet transfers are made to be applied to a shirt using a home iron (vs commercial press which heats up a lot hotter). Putting an inkjet transfer through a laser printer will ruin both the transfer AND the printer (it will melt all over the internal components - BTDT). You CAN purchase shirt transfers for laser printers BUT they are more expensive, not sold at "craft" stores, and you need a commercial press to apply them - home irons seem to work but they will peel off because it doesn't really heat up hot enough.

So yes, your best bet is to ask around if someone will print for you or you can even buy a cheap printer if you plan on using it for more than just this occurrence. Other options would be uploading the design to someplace like vistaprint or customink and having them create the shirt for you.

Thank You Thank you for all the info!! I really appreciate the help :goodvibes Disboards is the best :goodvibes

I have a commercial heat press and commercial transfers, these last SO much longer than something you can purchase at walmart. If you can get a sign shop to do it for you, you'd have something that would last much longer!

Laser printers require transfer paper that is suited for them, that will withstand the heat. You can purchase them, but they can be hard to find.

I made the mistake of using a laser printer to print,...Oh about 50 tshirts....:headache:

They were fine until we wore them...Out in the sun the transfer got hot and you sweat in places you do NOT want to sweat! :rotfl:

And then when I washed them....they turned into a washed out crinkled MESS! Could not be worn again.....

Return those Michael's Transfers and order some from amymickey(dot)com!!! RIGHT NOW! and use your inkjet with hers. I am making 20 shirts for our trip in May! Michael's transfer sheets are not worth the money!! they will fade if you even get remotely wet or sweaty!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter