Making the last day special

cheerguin

Earning My Ears
I'm struggling with our plan. Our last full day seems like it is lacking. Due to FoP FP availability, our last full day will be at AK. How can I make our day better? We have one full day at AK earlier in the week. On that day we have FP for Na'vi, Safari, and Lion King. We also have a river of light dining package for Tusker. For our 2nd day at AK (which is our last full day at Disney) I have us enjoying SAB at BC then headed to AK for FoP and some other. Our FP doesn't start until the late afternoon with FoP being at 4:10-5:10. That's the only non-negotiable. I thinking should we hop to a resort for dinner?

Traveling with DH, DD9, and DS6. We haven't been to AK since our first trip in 2013. We do not have park hoppers. This will be for 12/7

Looking for suggestions on how to make this last night a little better.

Maybe visit AKL, check out the animals and eat there. Or resort hop to check out holiday decorations. We’ll be there at the same time, can’t wait!

Can you change your River of Light to the last evening if you are looking to do something? When my kids were younger, and even now that they are older or if I just go with my mom, I really dont like doing anything too much on our last night after dinner since we usually have an early flight the next day and have to pack.

Is it possible to upgrade just one day of the tickets to a Park Hopper status? (I'm unsure if this is possible, so apologies if it isn't.) That way, you could have the FoP FP+, but still have the flexibility to play your last day by ear, a little bit.

How about dinner at Chef Mickeys? Seeing Mickey & friends one last time before you leave would be pretty special.

Since your FOP fp is for late in the day, I think exploring Pandora at night in and of itself would be a cool way to end the trip. Sa'tuli Canteen in Pandora is getting amazing reviews. If it were our family, we'd do a mobile order there after riding FOP, then wander around exploring the bio-luminescent plants/trees. We'd end the night at the tree of life watching it light up. Then an early bed time :)

Since your FOP fp is for late in the day, I think exploring Pandora at night in and of itself would be a cool way to end the trip. Sa'tuli Canteen in Pandora is getting amazing reviews. If it were our family, we'd do a mobile order there after riding FOP, then wander around exploring the bio-luminescent plants/trees. We'd end the night at the tree of life watching it light up. Then an early bed time :)

This is what I would recommend too.

Caring for Giants is a fun, relatively inexpensive tour if your kids like elephants.

I get the impression you'd rather do a different park rather than AK on your final day. Have you considered rope dropping Flight of Passage on your first AK day if it's something you really want to ride? We did this in January (arrived 90 mins before park opening) and were off the ride by 9:20. If you'd really prefer to do a park other than AK on your final day, this could be a great option for you.

If you do go to AK, have you considered a behind the scenes tour? I'm surprising my daughter with a 'Caring for Giant's tour. It's an up-charge ($30/each) but we are doing the that tour on our AK day. I think it will be neat to see some behind the scenes things and elephants are such amazing animals!

Last edited:
We are going to Wilderness Lodge for dinner at Whispering Canyon on our last night, to check out the Christmas decor. You could also go over to Disney Springs and see the Christmas trail and enjoy a nice dinner.

Is it possible to upgrade just one day of the tickets to a Park Hopper status? (I'm unsure if this is possible, so apologies if it isn't.) That way, you could have the FoP FP+, but still have the flexibility to play your last day by ear, a little bit.

Park hopping is all or nothing.

Something similar happened to me, as I have DHS last full day, which is our less favorite (at least so far in the pre-Galaxy's Edge era). I've done MANY different plans for this day, including dinner reservations at various hotels...but in the end, I went with the following (just to give you an idea):

- Go by car to DHS
- EMM DHS
- Have a good breakfast
- ToT Fastpass at 11 am
- BatB Fastpass at 1 pm
- Park hop to AK using the Buses (have about 2.5 hours so it is enough time to go relaxed)
- Savor the Savanna at 4 pm
- Park hop back to DHS using the Buses (have about 1.5 hours until Fastpass Entry Time so it is a little bit of a close call)
- Fantasmic! Fastpass to finish the day at 8 pm

The closest call will be getting from AK back to DHS for the Fantasmic! show (I'm guessing we'll end Savor the Savanna at around 6 pm), but if we lose it, we see JBJB instead so all will be good anyway.

I worry it's going to be too tiring, and we might skip BatB show to go and relax a little in the hotel, depending on our tiring level. I wanted to do something special on the last day, so maybe you could do one park in the morning, or resort hop, and then park hop to AK to finish the day?

Our last day is at MK of course, and it's a Christmas party night so we have to leave early. But instead of hopping to another park, because I always love having MK as our last special day, we are ending with Peter Pan ride. After we're done that ride at 4:30-5:00, we're taking the boat over to GF to have dinner at 1900 Park Fare and if the timing is right we'll watch the fireworks from the beach area or catch them while we're on the boat going back. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter