Mall Food Courts

There's a place called Jimmy the Greek and it's all Greek food. They will make me a Greek salad and put gyro meat on top and it's so good. DH will get a lamb shank with rice and salad. It's something like $6. I could never make it that cheap at home and it's so good.

I don't think I can even remember the last time I actually entered a mall!

Same. Once or twice a year I'll go to Sears or Macy's or Boscov's at the mall, but actually entering the mall part, it's been years. Years ago when I did eat at the food court, it was usually the Chinese-style place, like Panda Express or [Something] Wok.

Occasionally we'll eat at one of the restaurants that surround the mall, like Bonefish Grill or Red Robin.

Our mall has a Charlie's Sandwich place. Really good philly cheesesteak type sandwiches and fries cooked to order. We have gone there just to grab supper. Its really good.

I rarely go to "The Mall" the closest one is an hour away and I am not a shopper so... But my go to at the mall is Panda Express.

So by food court, the reference is to just open counters where none of the restaurants have their own seating (save maybe a few counter seats)? I know some malls that have a "restaurant row" where they're all really self-contained.

It's kind of off the main food court section, but the Gordon Biersch GB Tavern at the Roseville Galleria in Roseville, CA is awesome. The garlic fries are only $2.50.

9242202651_c8a7cb0251_b.jpg

So by food court, the reference is to just open counters where none of the restaurants have their own seating (save maybe a few counter seats)? I know some malls that have a "restaurant row" where they're all really self-contained.

It's kind of off the main food court section, but the Gordon Biersch GB Tavern at the Roseville Galleria in Roseville, CA is awesome. The garlic fries are only $2.50.

That's cool. I've never seen a restaurant in a mall set-up quite like this in a food court.

That's cool. I've never seen a restaurant in a mall set-up quite like this in a food court.

It's not quite at the food court though. It's a complete sit-down restaurant with table service, and it's off to the side of their "dining terrace". I don't think they allow alcohol out of their seating area.

Oops, there is a Red Robin on the mall property, but has a separate entrance.

I try not to eat at the mall if I can help it. If there is a Chick-Fil-A, I am there! But other than that i try to eat somewhere before I go to the mall if it is a large shopping day.

Food courts were huge here in the late 1960's and 1970s, and there are a few like this one around, but they are tiny compared to the grand food courts malls used to have. Food Circus was what they called the food court at the old Arden Fair mall. 16 restaurants. I don't thing there are many food courts that big around anymore.

We try not to do fast food much- just as a special treat once in a while- but when we eat at the mall we get Chik-fil-A to support them.

Food courts were huge here in the late 1960's and 1970s, and there are a few like this one around, but they are tiny compared to the grand food courts malls used to have. Food Circus was what they called the food court at the old Arden Fair mall. 16 restaurants. I don't thing there are many food courts that big around anymore.

Valley Fair in Santa Clara/San Jose still has a massive food court. This composite shot doesn't even show all of it:

valleyfair-center-hero.jpg

The Great Mall in Milpitas has maybe 19? That's on top of other self-contained restaurants they have.

My local mall has been able to reel in some big tenants lately. The food court gained a Five Guys a few years back and got a Panera last year. They already had a Chick-Fil-A (interestingly, it's the last store in the mall that was open on opening day and hasn't relocated or changed hands).

This mall used to have a Wendy's and a Warburton's, later an Au Bon Pain. Both left in the mid-2000s despite being extremely popular.

Mickey D's was never big in mall food courts in Pittsburgh, but there used to be one in nearby Youngstown at their major mall. There was, however, a McDonald's inside the Sears store around here. It was a short-lived experiment between two Chicago-based titans (well, they were titans in the 80s).

I don't eat at the food court very often anymore as I find most of them too noisy or crowded. But if I do it is usually Opa (Greek) or New York Fries.

If you ever eat at your local mall, where are your "go to" places to eat?

We are creatures of habit. We always choose the same places.

Me - Manchu Wok
Son - New York Fries
Daughter - Mrs. Vanelli's Pizza

my office building is down the road from two rather big shopping centers, and they have everything you can think of. One mall is a typical mall with the food court with the Sbarros, taco bell, Chinese place, pretzel place, etc, plus it has tons of eateries with their own entrances just steps away from the main part of the mall. My favorite is Tom and Eddies.

The other mall, about 1.5 miles down on the same road, is an upscale boutique open air mall. My favorite place there is Cheesecake Factory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter