Man those AKV value rooms go quick!!

I don't think i would ever plan a trip assuming i would get a value room. Just might be nice to get but not really a reality.

Seems like its getting more difficult as well. There was a time where we booked 3 value studios right at 11 months and also 2 at 11 months. This past trip, we tried to book 2 and only got one. For our trip next October, we tried to book a studio and it was gone so we ended up booking a value one bedroom.

I don't recommend giving up on those reservations. I initially was considering walking reservations for Thanksgiving 2018; we wanted 2 Value Studios 11/23/18-11/27/18. When I tried reserving ahead of time to walk the reservations, I could never get ahead of others (as OP experienced). However, I noticed that there were value studio rooms available a few days prior to what I was trying to walk, and a few days after. When I checked a day later, the first day of the 11 month window would often not have availability, but the other days were available.

Guessing this was individuals walking to high priority dates (Thanksgiving & Christmas), I decided I was going to reserve 2 deluxe studios for the days I needed at 11 months, and then go back and see if I could piece together a full reservation of value studio rooms.

Well, it worked. Each day I was able to cancel my previous reservation, and add on the days I was missing with value studios. I currently have 1 value studio for 11/23/18-11/27/18 and 1 value studio for 11/23/18-11/26/18. I plan to keep checking back to see if I can get that one extra day (11/27/18) for the 2nd reservation.

Seems many of the reservations were walked past Thanksgiving in order to get to Christmas??

I just recommend not giving up on what you are trying to get. It's sort of a pain, but it was worth the hassle to have the exta nights for us.

I own at AKV specifically because of the value category, mainly the 1BR's, but I have enough points to make the standard category work so we are not dependent on the value rooms. I can't believe that my F&W trips will now only cost 40 points in a studio and 100 points in a 1BR. I can go one year with a friend and stay in a studio and bank the extra 60 points, leaving me with 160 points for the next year to splurge on a family trip!

It's about to get worse with planned decrease in point requirement.

LAX

Between the decrease in point requirements for 2019 and the added convenience of being able to walk a reservation online, I expect this category would almost be impossible to book in the future.

I don't recommend giving up on those reservations. I initially was considering walking reservations for Thanksgiving 2018; we wanted 2 Value Studios 11/23/18-11/27/18. When I tried reserving ahead of time to walk the reservations, I could never get ahead of others (as OP experienced). However, I noticed that there were value studio rooms available a few days prior to what I was trying to walk, and a few days after. When I checked a day later, the first day of the 11 month window would often not have availability, but the other days were available.

Guessing this was individuals walking to high priority dates (Thanksgiving & Christmas), I decided I was going to reserve 2 deluxe studios for the days I needed at 11 months, and then go back and see if I could piece together a full reservation of value studio rooms.

Well, it worked. Each day I was able to cancel my previous reservation, and add on the days I was missing with value studios. I currently have 1 value studio for 11/23/18-11/27/18 and 1 value studio for 11/23/18-11/26/18. I plan to keep checking back to see if I can get that one extra day (11/27/18) for the 2nd reservation.

Seems many of the reservations were walked past Thanksgiving in order to get to Christmas??

I just recommend not giving up on what you are trying to get. It's sort of a pain, but it was worth the hassle to have the exta nights for us.

Just wanted to come back and update my status on reservations; I happened to check again for my last day (11/26/18-11/27/18) for that value room, and I found it!! Went ahead and reserved it, and will call in to have it linked with the rest of the reservation I made previously. Not a perfect situation, but considering demand I am pretty happy and relieved I was able to get what I wanted Like I said, don't give up.

What is walking rooms?

It’s not “waliking rooms” its walking a reservation to get a room by picking a date in advance of your vacation and reserving it at the 11 month mark and then adding to the end of it and taking away the beginning of the reservation. Thus extending the 11 month booking window. You have to call in to DVC to do this though.

Walking doesn't really make sense in the case for the values because as of today, November 30th is gone but 12/1 through 12/7 is available. But if you were walking wouldn't your reservation be 7 days forward, so not only would 11/30 be gone but so would 12/1 - 12/6 and tomorrow you would drop 11/30 and add 12/7?

I really think something is wrong with the system. DH, wdrl, and I have have talked about it a lot. Something is wrong with the system.

Walking doesn't really make sense in the case for the values because as of today, November 30th is gone but 12/1 through 12/7 is available. But if you were walking wouldn't your reservation be 7 days forward, so not only would 11/30 be gone but so would 12/1 - 12/6 and tomorrow you would drop 11/30 and add 12/7?

I really think something is wrong with the system. DH, wdrl, and I have have talked about it a lot. Something is wrong with the system.
11/30 is gone because those who are walking have booked 11/23 through 11/30, checking out on 12/1. Tomorrow, they can call and add 12/1, which will then block those who want to book on 1/1, but they will (in theory) be dropping 11/23 which will open that day up for those who wanted it. 12/1-12/6 would only be showing as completely unavailable if EVERYONE who booked a room for November 30 booked it for the entire 7-day period. If even one room is available, it will show availability.

I see that as being correct if DVC were something like a week system or every room was being walked with the same date in mind. But people are booking the rooms for various dates. There will be some people that are actually checking out 12/1, some 11/28 etc. That gives the start for another 1 or 2 people to book right at 11 months corresponding to those check outs. Because you have to call in to walk a reservation the changes right at 8am are not only due to walking. It will be tighter because walkers will be holding the inventory but the quick disappearance isn't because a walker has modified their reservation as that can't happen until an hour later.

For example, in the smallest room category that gets walked, AKV Concierge, you will often see more than the first date unavailable. In the rare instance I've seen that for Value studios too but it's not as common. IMO the fact that only the current 11 month day is unavailable and that often it's possible to pick up the reservation in the week following the 11 month window I actually take it to mean that virtually no room category really needs to be walked but the fear is there and it can be done so people are doing it.

IMO the fact that only the current 11 month day is unavailable and that often it's possible to pick up the reservation in the week following the 11 month window I actually take it to mean that virtually no room category really needs to be walked but the fear is there and it can be done so people are doing it.

I wholeheartedly agree with @KAT4DISNEY .

Although the 11-month day may be unavailable, the days that precede and follow it are usually available. So, what I have done in the past is pick up single days and then merge them altogether when the reservation is complete. I do not fear the missing day because experience has taught me that it will likely be available the next day around 9:30am.

I wholeheartedly agree with @KAT4DISNEY .

Although the 11-month day may be unavailable, the days that precede and follow it are usually available. So, what I have done in the past is pick up single days and then merge them altogether when the reservation is complete. I do not fear the missing day because experience has taught me that it will likely be available the next day around 9:30am.
This did work for me when we tried to book a studio at VGF in December for the first time. People were obviously walking, but within a week, I had the dates we wanted. The second time, we booked as soon as we could, closer to Thanksgiving.

Even trying to walk a reservation isn't always possible. It can be difficult to pick up a first date to start walking because people are already walking that date the week before! It really is obnoxious. I managed to snag a 2 bedroom value for my dates in October 2018 with a little bit of luck. I think I was able to get a 1 BR value for the week and with frequent checking a 2 BR popped up. I had 6 nights in the 2 BR value and hung onto a 1 BR value for the 7th night. When that night became the 11 months out date someone must've dropped a studio because a 2 BR became available (Another 1 BR value had been available all week).

This was also another case of stalking beating out the waitlist because I was able to pick it up before my waitlist picked it up.

You worked hard for it, good for you, enjoy!

Between the decrease in point requirements for 2019 and the added convenience of being able to walk a reservation online, I expect this category would almost be impossible to book in the future.

Agree 100%.

Don't understand why they don't just jack up the point requirements for the holidays even higher & be done with it.

Call it pay to play or just charging what the market will bare, regardless would at least thin the pool of those interested.

Even trying to walk a reservation isn't always possible. It can be difficult to pick up a first date to start walking because people are already walking that date the week before! It really is obnoxious. I managed to snag a 2 bedroom value for my dates in October 2018 with a little bit of luck. I think I was able to get a 1 BR value for the week and with frequent checking a 2 BR popped up. I had 6 nights in the 2 BR value and hung onto a 1 BR value for the 7th night. When that night became the 11 months out date someone must've dropped a studio because a 2 BR became available (Another 1 BR value had been available all week).

This was also another case of stalking beating out the waitlist because I was able to pick it up before my waitlist picked it up.

You use the word "obnoxious" as to walking but seem to be ok with stalking the waitlist. It could be argued both circumvent the rules, or at least the intent. IDK, not the judge & jury lol but I can see how people do feel very strongly about this.

Until, DVC take the time to straighten it out, people will do whatever they can to book their dates.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter