Mandatory Sunpass with rental car?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We're at our lowest rate with Dollar now, and would like to not pay for the Sunpass if possible. We'll only be traveling to the resort, outlets, and back to the airport. Will we need the Sunpass, and if not, how do we deactivate it on the rental car and agreement? Also, we have only used Alamo for the past several years. Is Dollar ok, and what do we need to know?

From and to the airport will likely have you on 528 or 417, and those are toll roads. But both of those have cash options. No need for a Sunpass.

Inform the agent that you will be paying the tolls in cash. That puts them on notice that you do not wish to pay the daily "convenience fee" for PlatePass., and it will not be automatically added. (They do reserve the right to add it back *if* you at any time use an electronic-only tollway payment lane.)

Be sure to go through the Cash booths on 417 and ask for a receipt wherever possible, because it's always best to have proof of payment. If you use one of the coin-only exits (such as Osceola Pkwy), then it is also best to take a phone photo of the green light and payment sign at the tollbooth; that photo will be time-stamped, and show that you paid the toll when you went through. This way, if you somehow are billed later for tolls that you paid in cash, you have proof of having done so.

We booked a car with Alamo. We want to use the kiosk and skip the rental desk. Does anyone know if Alamo automatically adds on the Sunpass? It would be really convenient. There is something listed at FL surcharge at $2/day included in the reservation, but I do not see anything specifically stating the Sunpass fee was included.

alamo policy:

$3.95 fee per usage day (24 hr. interval) that customer incurs tolls, plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates)

$19.75 maximum fee per rental period plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates)

Participation is automatic.

Opt-in decision is made when the driver elects to use EXPRESS, SunPass ONLY, E-PASS ONLY or LeeWay ONLY lanes.

Nothing to decide at time of rental.

policies for most major players at:

https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

note they vary widely ... alamo/national/enterprise is one of the better IMO

alamo/national/enterprise is one of the better IMO

I do anywhere from 6 to 10 one-way rentals each year, all in Florida. I'm not brand loyal; I book the best price. So, I have a lot of practical experience when it comes to knowing policies.

I agree that Alamo/National/Enterprise is the best group of rental car companies when it comes to tolls because they only charge the convenience fee on days you incur a toll.

if you come down that often ... buy a portable sunpass ... the $20 version .....

it will pay for itself in toll savings at the rate you visit ....

With Alamo, anyone know what type of transponder is in their cars? If I don't want to use it and just pay cash, will I be able to remove or detach the transponder and put in a RFID-blocking sleeve?

I do anywhere from 6 to 10 one-way rentals each year, all in Florida. I'm not brand loyal; I book the best price. So, I have a lot of practical experience when it comes to knowing policies.

I agree that Alamo/National/Enterprise is the best group of rental car companies when it comes to tolls because they only charge the convenience fee on days you incur a toll.
Thank you!

With Alamo, anyone know what type of transponder is in their cars? If I don't want to use it and just pay cash, will I be able to remove or detach the transponder and put in a RFID-blocking sleeve?

no transponder

all their plates are register in FL with a fleet account

I posted MANY times how the system works .....

first it looks for a transponder

then it photos the tag

then it checks the tag against sunpass registered tags

then it checks for tags in fleet accounts

<rental cars are mostly in fleet accounts and the toll gets passed off here. the crazy charges applied come from the rental company>

if the tag is still unknown it depends on where you are

in an electronic toll only area (Miami) a bill is sent based on tag info

if in a cash pay available area (most of Orlando) a fine is assessed against the tag

this is SIMPLIFIED .....

if the tag is still unknown it depends on where you are

in an electronic toll only area (Miami) a bill is sent based on tag info

if in a cash pay available area (most of Orlando) a fine is assessed against the tag

this is SIMPLIFIED .....
CFX says they send an invoice. Citations are only for drivers who don't pay their bills and continue to use cashless lanes.

I don't know what the Turnpike does in CFL currently, except in Express Lanes (opening this fall) where driving without a transponder will be a violation. Which brings up the question: will rental cars without a transponder be able to legally drive in the express lanes?

So if I am renting with Alamo, and I always use the cash lane, and pay cash, Alamo won’t charge me at all?

So if I am renting with Alamo, and I always use the cash lane, and pay cash, Alamo won’t charge me at all?

You shouldn't be charged. Of course, there's always a chance of a glitch, so as NotUrsula posted above:
Be sure to go through the Cash booths on 417 and ask for a receipt wherever possible, because it's always best to have proof of payment. If you use one of the coin-only exits (such as Osceola Pkwy), then it is also best to take a phone photo of the green light and payment sign at the tollbooth; that photo will be time-stamped, and show that you paid the toll when you went through. This way, if you somehow are billed later for tolls that you paid in cash, you have proof of having done so.

then it is also best to take a phone photo of the green light

they don't have lights anymore

went thru this way last week with a rental and using quarters for payment ...... didn't want to mess with my SUNPASS while out town for a month ....

and spoofing the date on a digital photo??? OMG, most 8th graders could do this . . .

then it is also best to take a phone photo of the green light

they don't have lights anymore

went thru this way last week with a rental and using quarters for payment ...... didn't want to mess with my SUNPASS while out town for a month ....

and spoofing the date on a digital photo??? OMG, most 8th graders could do this . . .

Yes, you *could* spoof the date, but very few people would bother; we are talking the equivalent of a simple receipt for a $3 transaction. It's just a bit of backup to bolster your argument in the event of being double-charged. Double-charging for toll use is a fairly common error, and the companies know it; if you present a receipt they almost always remove the charges.

We rented from Alamo two weeks ago. Took the far right hand cash lanes, and chose the cash lanes with receipt available. We kept receipts just in case Alamo tried to charge us for the toll tag that we didn’t use, but they didn’t. Easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter