Mando & Grogu Movie is official

No doubt about it Grogu and Mando merch and toys outsells everything else by a very large margin currently.

This is a hit in the making, mark my words.

Yeah, I don't love the title. I was expecting this to be the movie all of the series set in this era dovetail into.

I personally don’t care about titles very much, just make the movie great.

TLJ had a great title that had many amped up to see the movie. Too bad the movie was hot garbage, so the cool title didn’t really matter much in the end.

Heck one of the best ones ever A New Hope was just called Star Wars originally.

Also credit where credit is due here, brilliant timing by Disney here with this info.

Been a crappy few days for Disney with all the backlash the director of the Rey movie had been creating. Now all of a sudden there is hope Star Wars can be saved. brilliant, and i want to hive them credit for impeccable timing for this news.

I'm not sure this is going to be a major box office return to form. I'm not sure the public will line up at the box office for what many will probably perceive as a 2-hour special episode. I don't see much headroom to scale up from TV to film.

Yeah, they needed to make it seem like MORE than just the show, but this name reinforces that it IS just the show.

Care to make a small wager? Say if it doesn’t gross what Solo did at the box office I will publicly endorse TLJ as a great movie?

If I win you admit it was bad and divided the fan base?

Care to make a small wager? Say if it doesn’t gross what Solo did at the box office I will publicly endorse TLJ as a great movie?

What? What kind or wager is that? The loser has to say something that they still don't believe? That's strange.

This is not a Star Wars problem, it's an exhibition vs. streaming problem. Granted The Mandalorian is pretty popular, but as the name of a Disney+ show, some people might be confused about what it is and where they can see it. I'd argue that the name Grogu will confuse people becuase most people still call him "Baby Yoda." General audiences are easily confused by stuff like that.

Two movie tickets to the theater of your choice?

That a better wager for you?

Well, that's more sensical, but I don't want to bet against a movie that I want to succeed. I do want it to do well, but I have reservations about the way it is being presented. Granted, there is a lot of time and things can change - that title can change or the box-office environment could change too. Right now though, I'm not loving it.

Nothing and I mean nothing in recent years has moved the needle like Mando season 1-2 did. End of season 2 was the single biggest “trending” moment for Star Wars in the past 5 or so years.

If anything can be a hit for Star Wars right now it is likely a Mando with Favreau at the helm.

My only concern is season 3 being so bad, that gives me just a little pause.

Grogu alone will have kids begging their parents to take them to see this movie.

Last edited:

But Solo wasn't a "hit", even earning $400M worldwide, it still lost ~$100M. Ep. 8 and 9, Rogue One each made $1B+ each. And I just don't see that box office is there anymore, not when people can get their Star Wars fix on Disney+.

I have no crystal ball, but this just seems to be Disney grasping because they lack ideas. Mando may be profitable, but that's because I expect Mando will have a significantly lower budget than any of those films, Disney isn't sinking $250M into anything anytime soon. The per season budget for Mando is $120M, so I expect that will be Disney's cap for a theatrical film.

making money is what matters. If you keep the budget below $200 Million and hit $550 Million + you are making money. This movie has $700M plus written all over it in my opinion. A billion is certainly possible.

After The Marvels & Indy 5 flops, they need money makers and even singles and doubles are welcome. Everything cannot be a home run!

I can assure you Bob Iger wants to make money again and get the Investors out of his shorts.

Last edited:
Idk I think Disney+ has well and truly trained people to just wait until it’s on there. That’s what I’m doing with everything Disney have put out recently because unfortunately other people ruin the cinema experience and it’s getting too expensive for that.

This just might get me back into the cinema though and I’m sure other hardcore fans of SW/Mando will go see it but casual fans and people that are only just getting into the show through the 4K steelbooks or people who sail the high seas because they don’t want to give Disney any money will probably just wait until it’s accessible elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter