NYC CRUISES PLANNING/INFO ThREAD!

Hi All!

I forget where I found this, somewhere while searching for info on visiting the SoL, ferries, etc. I thought it would make a great magnet!

Enjoy! :flower3:

SoL.jpg

The outdoor parking is for monthly parking pass holders only. Along with some overflow lots for daily parking only.

You should be good on a Friday in the summer. You'll be there by 9ish..it's literally right off of 295.

Weekends are busy with theater goers, baseball fans going to games, and tourists and people riding to and from Newark airport. It's not empty at all. Don't even worry about that. The conductors regularly walk the train cars collecting tickets at each stop. There's no where to really sit near the conductors as they keep moving.

Just note that getting back on in Penn Station to come home - there are multiple NJ transit lines leaving Penn! Make sure you get on NE Corridor to Trenton. They will list them on the electric sign board and they will not post the track the train is on until 10 mins before its supposed to leave.

I just thought of another question. Can I buy a RT ticket or do I need to buy separate one ways? If I do have to buy one way tickets, can I buy them both in Hamilton on our way to the port? If we have plenty of time to wait for our train going to the port, I'd like to buy our return ticket so I don't have to worry about getting the wrong ones while in NYC.

NJ Transit Trains are like riding in a Cadillac compared to some of the other Mass Transit authorities out there.

Nothing to worry about... you'll actually enjoy the trip, I think.

I'm excited! It's a big adventure for us. I'll let you know on Sunday how it goes.

Thanks again for all the tips! :wave2:

I just thought of another question. Can I buy a RT ticket or do I need to buy separate one ways? If I do have to buy one way tickets, can I buy them both in Hamilton on our way to the port? If we have plenty of time to wait for our train going to the port, I'd like to buy our return ticket so I don't have to worry about getting the wrong ones while in NYC.

I'm excited! It's a big adventure for us. I'll let you know on Sunday how it goes.

Thanks again for all the tips! :wave2:

I always buy my r/t tickets at Metropark that way I don't have to worry about buying them on the return trip. They give you 2 one way tickets so make sure you don't lose the 2nd one.

I always buy my r/t tickets at Metropark that way I don't have to worry about buying them on the return trip. They give you 2 one way tickets so make sure you don't lose the 2nd one.

Thanks! I was hoping that would work. The Patco train I take to work lets you buy several but they expire in 3 days. I wasn't sure if NJ Transit had a similar thing or if the return had to be same day.

can return transfers be bought during the cruise? Not sure if I can use them for our return trip to airport or should get a taxi. We have a 11:30 flight out of newark.

can return transfers be bought during the cruise? Not sure if I can use them for our return trip to airport or should get a taxi. We have a 11:30 flight out of newark.

Yes. We were originally going to use DCL Transfers from JFK to the cruise and were planning on using a cab at disembarkation to save money, but were undecided. I was told by a disney agent that we could book return transfers while on the boat just in case we changed our mind. That being said we decided to use Disney RT.

Yes. We were originally going to use DCL Transfers from JFK to the cruise and were planning on using a cab at disembarkation to save money, but were undecided. I was told by a disney agent that we could book return transfers while on the boat just in case we changed our mind. That being said we decided to use Disney RT.

Thanks for the info! Do you remember what time they started calling you off to meet your transfer?

Thanks for the info! Do you remember what time they started calling you off to meet your transfer?

Oh, we're not going until Sept 7th but I believe the woman on the phone said that they have multiple buses leaving the port going to JFK, LGA & Newark continuously.

Anyone ever been "brave" enough to fly in the day of thier cruise.

Normally I would NEVER do this, but I am looking at the 9/2 cruise and thier are a lot of "complications" that might not allow me to fly up earlier.

Or alternatively what's the cheapest, safest, hotel close to LaGuardia? I hate to spend $300 a night if I land at midnight and check out early the next morning :)

Anyone ever been "brave" enough to fly in the day of thier cruise.

We're doing this. We're headed out on the Sept 7th NY cruise and I just couldn't justify paying $300 a night if we came the night before. We're flying in to JFK from Bos. I think our flight gets in at 11am and then we're using Disney transfers. I was told by my TA if we get the DIS transfers they will get us to the boat no matter what (not sure how reliable my TA is about that info though). We are getting trip insurance. I think VERY last boarding is by 4pm so I think we'll be ok.

DisneyDream2B said:
Are there any shops or restaurants in the Manhattan cruise terminal?
Thanks

That terminal is huge and you walk forever and forever there is nothing in it (although I was close to olympic fast walking pace) there was a small snack shop up by the check in. Outside there isnt much else around unless you walk in towarda times square like 3 blocks then you are in Hells Kitchen and there are some places to eat.

That terminal is huge and you walk forever and forever there is nothing in it (although I was close to olympic fast walking pace) there was a small snack shop up by the check in. Outside there isnt much else around unless you walk in towarda times square like 3 blocks then you are in Hells Kitchen and there are some places to eat.

Thanks!

We're doing this. We're headed out on the Sept 7th NY cruise and I just couldn't justify paying $300 a night if we came the night before. We're flying in to JFK from Bos. I think our flight gets in at 11am and then we're using Disney transfers. I was told by my TA if we get the DIS transfers they will get us to the boat no matter what (not sure how reliable my TA is about that info though). We are getting trip insurance. I think VERY last boarding is by 4pm so I think we'll be ok.

If there are any delays in your flight I think you'll be cutting it too close. If your flight lands on time the earliest you'll get to the terminal is 1PM WITHOUT TRAFFIC. JFK is the furthest from the cruise terminal & NY traffic can be very unpredictable. I wish you luck.

I saw many of you from the tri-state area (PA, NJ, NY) talking about driving in the morning of your cruise and parking at the terminal.

DH and I are from the Philly area and that is what we plan on doing.

Couple of quick questions to clarify what I have read so far;
1. Sounds like if you are at the terminal before 11am or so...parking at the cruise terminal should not be difficult (i.e. parking spots should be available. Can anyone confirm the general concept? (I know there are no guarantees...just what is the general trend).
2. I saw people mention the porters. Are these available at all the parking locations in the cruise terminal? Or do you have to go to a main drop off location for the porters to take your luggage? (Also, I am guessing general tipping rules apply here for the porters).

Just back off the 2 night weekend getaway. Great time.

The night before we stayed at Ink48, just one block from the cruise terminal. Highly recommended. Spotlessly clean, amazing views from our room, friendly staff.

We paid about $250 for the night and had a king bed room w/ corner views.

Hope this helps someone else.

The hotel is Ink48, and has very good reviews. It's a Kimpton hotel, and there's another in this chain that we usually stay at while we're in the city, so I'd expect that this one is of similar quality.

I'm just a bit concerned about the walk to the terminal, because when we board for the cruise, I'll be just two weeks out of my treatments. I've been hit by cases of fatigue, which means that if others behind us are in a rush to get to the terminal or ship- they'll have to go around us.

Ordinarily I'd have no issues with the walk- even with luggage, but as I've never experienced this chain of events before...... I just want to have a relaxing time with lots of FABs and time in the hot tub!

Anyway, we'll have a fantastic trip- all of us! And give us a wave as you run past us... :thumbsup2

Just stayed there before the weekend getaway cruise. Honestly, the walk inside the terminal to check-in is about the same walk as from the hotel to the cruise terminal. It's one short block.

Great hotel, BTW. Enjoy!

If there are any delays in your flight I think you'll be cutting it too close. If your flight lands on time the earliest you'll get to the terminal is 1PM WITHOUT TRAFFIC. JFK is the furthest from the cruise terminal & NY traffic can be very unpredictable. I wish you luck.

Honestly, I'm not nervous one bit. Our check in isn't until 1 anyways and we'll be traveling with 2 young children so waiting around is not something I want to do. Disney asks that your flight arrive by 12 or 12:30 the latest. Even if there was an hour delay we'd be fine as we're due to arrive at 11. We're flying from Boston too so it's really a short flight. As long as we get to the port before 3pm I'm really not going to stress about it. Plus we'll have trip insurance so it's O K.

Hi All!
We're home from our 2 nt weekend cruise. We took the NJTransit train from Hamilton. It was so incredibly easy which is saying a LOT since I'm not a city girl at all. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Getting to and parking at Hamilton Station was so easy. Even with tip, our taxi from Penn Station to the port was less than $10 each way.

The only stress we had was that as we walked up to buy tix at Hamilton, the train was already there and the conductor was rushing me saying he couldn't hold the train. ( :headache:Not that we asked him to; I actually told him to not wait and we'll catch the next one.) He insisted so as I rushed through the touchscreen, I only bought one way tickets. It actually worked out in our favor since kids ride free on weekends so I only had to pay for myself on the return.

Also paying for the cab with a cc was so easy too. It had a simple touch screen to add varying amounts of gratuity which even the most expensive, 30%, was only something like $2.

It was so exciting on the taxi ride to the port to turn the corner and see the Magic there! :banana: :yay:

Of course it was way too short being only a 2nt cruise but we knew it would be. It was kind of a rough crowd; I'm guessing a lot of newbies. I overheard some disturbing comments like, "If you don't listen, I'm gonna have to beat your a^^!" said very publicly. Also a dad telling his kids at dinner to go ahead and put stickers all over the door cuz that $12 per person per day tip pays for having the stickies cleaned off the door. :headache::mad::sad2:

Really? Would they do that on a land vacation after tipping at dinner & the hotel maid service? :sick:

Overall, it didn't ruin my cruise at all. If anything, it only got us more excited to do our Alaskan cruise next month! :cloud9:

Thank you all for your navigational tips!! They were right on the money! :thumbsup2

Happy Sailing Everyone!!! :goodvibes

ETA: For those sailing the 2-nt in August, our cruise did not offer a matinee of Twice Charmed on Saturday like they did on the June 15th 2-nt sailing. I was a bit disappointed since we could see Villians on any ship; Twice Charmed is only on the Magic. Oh well...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter