• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYC CRUISES PLANNING/INFO ThREAD!

Your boarding time is not 1 pm....it is your Port Arrival Time that is 1 pm. Boarding starts much earlier than that.....but it is true that your boarding number will be based on your 1:00 pm PAT.

I have done 2 of the cruises out of NYC already...the very first one they did check port arrival times but all reports indicate (and my experience last week) that they are not adhering to the port arrival times out of NYC.

Try a google search for luggage storage to see if there are any near the port or near where you may want to sightsee (though I don't think you will have as much time to sightsee as you might think).

MJ

Do you know what time the port opens? We have an 11:30 port arrival time but my DH would like to check the possibility of an upgrade. TIA

Two other questions for experienced NY cruisers:
Is there a liquor store relatively near the Renaissance by the Newark airport? We'd like to take a couple bottles of wine on board.

After the cruise, we're headed to the Marriott Marquis. Will catching a cab be difficult? We're in no huge rush so would it be better to hang back until 8:30 or so?

TIA

We had an 11:30 arrival time as well but got there around 10am. While we were not one of the first to arrive (people were seated all over) we were one of the first to get on line to go thru security( just happened to be standing in that area when they opened the line) and therefore were one of the first to arrive at the check in counter.

Newark airport travelers,, not sure if this has been mentioned but NJ Transit offers train service from the airport to Penn Station. Since the cruise terminal is, I believe, on the west side, I would suggest taking a taxi from Penn Station to the port. Don't bother waiting in line especially if it is not raining. Just walk a few blocks north west of the station and catch a cab on the street (a tip to know which direction that is - face the empire state building. If you are walking toward it you are going north and moving left of it is west).

artemis908 said:
Newark airport travelers,, not sure if this has been mentioned but NJ Transit offers train service from the airport to Penn Station. Since the cruise terminal is, I believe, on the west side, I would suggest taking a taxi from Penn Station to the port. Don't bother waiting in line especially if it is not raining. Just walk a few blocks north west of the station and catch a cab on the street (a tip to know which direction that is - face the empire state building. If you are walking toward it you are going north and moving left of it is west).

Good suggestion. A rule of thumb for out of towners:

Even avenues run uptown (south to north) and odd avenues are opposite.
Even streets run west to east, with the odd numbered streets going east to west.

We had an 11:30 arrival time as well but got there around 10am. While we were not one of the first to arrive (people were seated all over) we were one of the first to get on line to go thru security( just happened to be standing in that area when they opened the line) and therefore were one of the first to arrive at the check in counter.[/QUOTE

Thank you. Do you remember when security opened and when you were allowed to board? We've decided not to try for an upgrade but are still trying to figure out what time to be dropped off.

I can't claim to be an experienced NY cruiser, but I did find this place - Bayway World of Liquor.

Here's a link to directions.

Thanks for the link. :surfweb:Turns out there is a liquor store right by the Renaissance according to the concierge. Sure couldn't find it when I googled??

Just when you thought this thread was dead... :rotfl2:

I have a quick question for all the NYC experts. We are looking at buying tickets to Jersey Boys.

Pricing is the same for mezzanine & orchestra. Which is better? It's the August Wilson theater if that matters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter