• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYC CRUISES PLANNING/INFO ThREAD!

snickerdodo said:
we are going on the dcl canadian cruise in sept. never been to new york and hears its a nightmare to get around. my husband cant walk to much(bad back and legs). how would u suggest we get from laguardia or hotel close to there, to the port. thanks for ur help....:confused3

Take a yellow cab from airport to terminal. Yellow cabs have to charge a flat rate from airports into manhattan.

Take a yellow cab from airport to terminal. Yellow cabs have to charge a flat rate from airports into manhattan.

Does this apply to taking a cab from Newark Airport as well? Trying to find the best way to get to / from Manhattan.

Someone was suggesting an express bus from near Grand Central to Newark airport. Is this a regular city bus or coach?

The express bus is a coach bus. It has luggage storage underneath and they put your luggage in based on terminal (if you are headed to the airport and I would guess exit point leaving the terminal). It cost $16 per adult and the kids (under 12) were free. It had 3 stops. We got on at Central Station and it stopped 2 other times. I just looked it up to see where those 2 stops were
Grand Central Station (41st Street between Park & Lexington Avenues)
Bryant Park (42nd Street & 5th Avenue)
Port Authority Bus Terminal (41st Street between 8th and 9th Avenues)

A taxi to Newark is a flat fee and I want to say about $70 + Tolls and tip. I think the fee varies depending on where in the city you are going too.

I just took a hotel car from Times Square to Newark on Sunday for $85 flat fee. I was told by the doorman that the taxi was the same price. I'm not sure if that was true or not, but I'm sure the fare was close enough to not matter much. I rode in a nice Escalade to the airport.

The express bus is a coach bus. It has luggage storage underneath and they put your luggage in based on terminal (if you are headed to the airport and I would guess exit point leaving the terminal). It cost $16 per adult and the kids (under 12) were free. It had 3 stops. We got on at Central Station and it stopped 2 other times. I just looked it up to see where those 2 stops were
Grand Central Station (41st Street between Park & Lexington Avenues)
Bryant Park (42nd Street & 5th Avenue)
Port Authority Bus Terminal (41st Street between 8th and 9th Avenues)

A taxi to Newark is a flat fee and I want to say about $70 + Tolls and tip. I think the fee varies depending on where in the city you are going too.

Thanks, so much. Feel much more comfortable with type of transportation than a taxi. It will be much like the service that runs between LAX and Disneyland.

Just need to solve the timing logistics now that I have a more concrete plan. Does anyone know the approximate travel time to allow between Manhattan and Newark? We need to be at the airport approximately around 4 pm on Sunday, Sept 2 for a 6:30 pm domestic flight.

I have not yet booked transfers for our Sept 7th sailing. DCL says we can add them up to 3 days before the cruise.
DH wants me to book transfers with DCL, but I have read some postings that the vendor they use is not so good. Can anyone share their experiences using DCL transfers from Newark?
If using a private company, do you have any recommendations? I've read one recommendation for Dial 7?
I've been told it is about a 45 minute transfer, if the traffic is not too bad. Does that sound right? We arrive at 9:30am the day of the cruise.

Thanks for any advise---never flown into any of the NY airports before.

has anyone tried dail7 or oyher car service from hotel or lga to port? would love help deciding. thanks:)

I have been researching and trying to figure out the best way to get from JFK to the port. We fly in same day (risky I know) as the cruise and arrive at JFK around 8am.

I was trying to find a shuttle or the best way to get from JFK to the port. Also, we might have a couple hours to kill since our boarding time is 1pm. Is there anywhere we can stow our luggage so we don't have to drag it around the city with us?

Thanks for your help!

I have been researching and trying to figure out the best way to get from JFK to the port. We fly in same day (risky I know) as the cruise and arrive at JFK around 8am.

I was trying to find a shuttle or the best way to get from JFK to the port. Also, we might have a couple hours to kill since our boarding time is 1pm. Is there anywhere we can stow our luggage so we don't have to drag it around the city with us?

Thanks for your help!

Your boarding time is not 1 pm....it is your Port Arrival Time that is 1 pm. Boarding starts much earlier than that.....but it is true that your boarding number will be based on your 1:00 pm PAT.

I have done 2 of the cruises out of NYC already...the very first one they did check port arrival times but all reports indicate (and my experience last week) that they are not adhering to the port arrival times out of NYC.

Try a google search for luggage storage to see if there are any near the port or near where you may want to sightsee (though I don't think you will have as much time to sightsee as you might think).

MJ

has anyone tried dail7 or oyher car service from hotel or lga to port? would love help deciding. thanks:)

We used Dial 7 from LGA last Friday. You call when you have your luggage and then they give you a car number to look for at the pick up area.

Car was there within 5 minutes. No problems and would use again.

I'm down to the wire and DH and I still can't agree on DCL transfers or a car service:confused3

I've seen a couple of not too favorable comments about DCL transfers from Newark to the NY port. As the price will be about the same or maybe a little less with a car service, I wanted to ask for opinions (again). DCL or car service?

What car service would you New York travelers or local folks recommend?
I've been reading reviews on several services and there are both good and bad reviews. I'd like to hear some DISboard members opinions.

One last question--if we decide on the DCL transfers (have not used them before)---do you tip the driver of the bus or van? I know to tip the porters that will take our bags at the port, but wasn't sure about the driver?

I'm going to post my question on the cruise line tread as well.

TIA

I'm down to the wire and DH and I still can't agree on DCL transfers or a car service:confused3

I've seen a couple of not too favorable comments about DCL transfers from Newark to the NY port. As the price will be about the same or maybe a little less with a car service, I wanted to ask for opinions (again). DCL or car service?

What car service would you New York travelers or local folks recommend?
I've been reading reviews on several services and there are both good and bad reviews. I'd like to hear some DISboard members opinions.

One last question--if we decide on the DCL transfers (have not used them before)---do you tip the driver of the bus or van? I know to tip the porters that will take our bags at the port, but wasn't sure about the driver?

I'm going to post my question on the cruise line tread as well.

TIA

Hi, I live within driving distance of the Manhattan terminal so I am just sending my opinion (if it's not too late).

You could take a yellow cab from Newark airport to the terminal; taxi stands are outside ground level at all 3 terminals. I don't know the rate, but I'm sure it will be flat plus toll. Post-cruise you could probably take the DCL transfer as I think trying to get a cab or car service to pick you up in front of the terminal might be a bit lengthy. I'm basing that on what I've read of past cruisers' experiences and not my own.

I read reviews on Dial7; unless you're traveling from one NY point to another NY point, I would avoid them coming from NJ.

Hi, I live within driving distance of the Manhattan terminal so I am just sending my opinion (if it's not too late).

You could take a yellow cab from Newark airport to the terminal; taxi stands are outside ground level at all 3 terminals. I don't know the rate, but I'm sure it will be flat plus toll. Post-cruise you could probably take the DCL transfer as I think trying to get a cab or car service to pick you up in front of the terminal might be a bit lengthy. I'm basing that on what I've read of past cruisers' experiences and not my own.

I read reviews on Dial7; unless you're traveling from one NY point to another NY point, I would avoid them coming from NJ.

Taking a yellow cab to the terminal could be very expensive! Call Dial 7 (212-777-7777) and get a price quote. They have coupons on their website.

We used Disney transportation this summer for our NYC cruise out of LGA. We had a kind of hard time finding the Disney rep to set up the transportation, but as soon as we found her, we were loaded up pretty quick and safely on our way.

I think that I am going to use a car service to return to the airport. Is pier 88 always used?.....need to enter a return address

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter