• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYC CRUISES PLANNING/INFO ThREAD!

It's funny how things you don't think you need to pay attention to all of a sudden become important. At first I was following this thread, not because I was cruising out of NY, but because I'ma New Yorker and kept an eye out for any questions for which I might be of help. Then I took advantage of the DVC sale and now became more of an interested party.

So here's my question, which I know I've seen discussed here earlier, but we all know how effective searching is ;) Are there any better options to parking near the port than the port itself? I know there is a link in the first thread for NYC parking, but wondered if anybody discovered any better options than paying $35/day.

It's funny how things you don't think you need to pay attention to all of a sudden become important. At first I was following this thread, not because I was cruising out of NY, but because I'ma New Yorker and kept an eye out for any questions for which I might be of help. Then I took advantage of the DVC sale and now became more of an interested party.

So here's my question, which I know I've seen discussed here earlier, but we all know how effective searching is ;) Are there any better options to parking near the port than the port itself? I know there is a link in the first thread for NYC parking, but wondered if anybody discovered any better options than paying $35/day.

From your calendar it looks like you are on the either the 9/2 or 9/7 trip. Come over to the meet page as well.

From your calendar it looks like you are on the either the 9/2 or 9/7 trip. Come over to the meet page as well.

We're on the 9/7 and are happily engaged in the meet thread. Ironically, I was the second post on the meet thread, from over a year ago, since we were originally on that cruise. We then switched to the Fantasy later in September, but when we heard about the DVC sale, we quickly jumped back on board (and still going on the Fantasy too!)

We're on the 9/7 and are happily engaged in the meet thread. Ironically, I was the second post on the meet thread, from over a year ago, since we were originally on that cruise. We then switched to the Fantasy later in September, but when we heard about the DVC sale, we quickly jumped back on board (and still going on the Fantasy too!)

What was (is?) the DVC sale? We are on the 9/7 sailing and are DVC member but didn't know about any discounts.

Also - I'm trying to figure out our best option for getting to the port. We live in NJ and will drive. Is it better to drive all the way to the terminal or drive to somewhere in NJ (where?) and take the ferry? It will be a Friday morning, so traffic could be a bear.

What time can we get into the terminal? I assume boarding starts around 11 or 11:30? (First time out of Port of NY)

Thanks!
Kathi

What was (is?) the DVC sale? We are on the 9/7 sailing and are DVC member but didn't know about any discounts.

They ran a special promotion about a month or so ago for DVC members. New bookings on the 9/7 cruise at special rates for DVC members only.

Also - I'm trying to figure out our best option for getting to the port. We live in NJ and will drive. Is it better to drive all the way to the terminal or drive to somewhere in NJ (where?) and take the ferry? It will be a Friday morning, so traffic could be a bear.

What time can we get into the terminal? I assume boarding starts around 11 or 11:30? (First time out of Port of NY)

Thanks!
Kathi

We live in NJ also, in June we drove to the terminal for the two night cruise, the worst traffic was turning into the terminal off the West Side Hwy, there was no traffic through the Lincoln Tunnel, this was at about 10. We are going again this Friday and doing the same thing except going up 10th and into the terminal from 55th.

The Ferry is in Weehauken and brings you to 39th St, fare is $9 per adult each way, I think it is $12 per day parking. For me the ease of the terminal parking is worth the extra cost, especially on a 5 night.

Boarding was around 11:45.

We live in NJ also, in June we drove to the terminal for the two night cruise, the worst traffic was turning into the terminal off the West Side Hwy, there was no traffic through the Lincoln Tunnel, this was at about 10. We are going again this Friday and doing the same thing except going up 10th and into the terminal from 55th.

The Ferry is in Weehauken and brings you to 39th St, fare is $9 per adult each way, I think it is $12 per day parking. For me the ease of the terminal parking is worth the extra cost, especially on a 5 night.

Boarding was around 11:45.

Thanks so much. We would be getting there around 10 also, so I'll take your advice and go up 10th to 55th. Hopefully all will go smoothly!

what time did they start calling you off the ship? will i make an 11:30 flight in newark if i use them?

what time did they start calling you off the ship? will i make an 11:30 flight in newark if i use them?

On the 2 day they had an express walk-off option with self carry luggage that started at 6:30am, regular call offs started at 7 but they called off by luggage tag with the last one being at 8:45. I don't know about the timing of DCL's transfers.

we are going on the dcl canadian cruise in sept. never been to new york and hears its a nightmare to get around. my husband cant walk to much(bad back and legs). how would u suggest we get from laguardia or hotel close to there, to the port. thanks for ur help....:confused3

They call off by luggage tag? That is not done in Port Canaveral, you just get off the ship when you are ready/done breakfast.

What happens if you are not ready to get off yet?

kathi said:
They call off by luggage tag? That is not done in Port Canaveral, you just get off the ship when you are ready/done breakfast.

I would suggest going to topsider buffet at your convenience. They shut the buffet down promptly at 9:15.

That is when you can start to get off, I never did see anyone checking tags though, but it seemed to work there was never a line leaving the ship. They used this disembarkation process last year in Vancouver also.

kathi said:

I don't think you have to get off when your luggage tag is called. So if you weren't ready I don't think you have to get off. I could be totally wrong though. I never did see anyone really checking tags

I don't think you have to get off when your luggage tag is called. So if you weren't ready I don't think you have to get off. I could be totally wrong though. I never did see anyone really checking tags

I think so too; I think it's just that you can't get off until your tag is called but then you can get off any time after that. All the announcements I heard included all the tags previously announced plus the next one that was now eligible. Until the "last call for everyone to get the heck off this ship" announcement at somewhere just after 9 which didn't mention any tags whatsoever. :lmao:

BelleBway said:
I think so too; I think it's just that you can't get off until your tag is called but then you can get off any time after that. All the announcements I heard included all the tags previously announced plus the next one that was now eligible. Until the "last call for everyone to get the heck off this ship" announcement at somewhere just after 9 which didn't mention any tags whatsoever. :lmao:

Yeah I remember the same thing happened in Vancouver. When we were on 2 night in June our tag was one of first so don't know about that time

You're correct. Our head waiter was able to find a table for us at the second seating breakfast in the MDR (we had main/early dining). Guest Services told us we did not need to change our luggage tags. We just got our luggage after we finished breakfast and got off the ship. Very easy to locate our bags!

Just an FYI for those cruisers who live and/or will be near the Bergen Town Center Mall (Paramus NJ). The store is currently selling the NYC "Bridge" vinylmations, 9" tall, for only $9.99. They're in the clearance section.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter