Manual Treadmills

AgentMama

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to fall back in love with treadmill running and looking to replace the ailing treadmill that I have. I recently tried out an AssaultRunner PRO and am on the fence about what direction to go with a new tread. The manual one doesn't have incline, or setting speeds, but it seems like the workout is much different than an standard tread. Does anyone here have one and have experience? The immediate pro seems to be to me that you have to stay engaged in your tread run instead of on autopilot. But I'm not sure what other things I should be considering.

Would love to hear anyone else's experiences!

I've never done a manual treadmill, but I have run on standard treadmills. Only reason I liked them was because it was mindless and yes it forced a speed on me... I imagine a manual one would be too much work or thinking. But I can see the benefit of it because it is similar to the real world treadmill, called a road, but with the benefit of being indoors

I've run on a manual treadmill and much prefer them to even the best powered treadmills. The DPT I go to has a Woodway Pro XL and and AssaultRunner for running form evaluations and to diagnose running pain. I've been on both and while that Woodway was so much better than running on any standard belt treadmill I've ever been on the manual is much closer to actual running. I would get one in a heartbeat if I had that option. It wasn't in the budget when we bought ours (Sole F63) but I would go manual all the way provided it is a quality manual like the AssaultRunner or Woodway Curve.

You can't just zone out like you do on a belt treadmill but that is kind of the point, you are using your muscles much more like you would when out running in the world and while you can't use incline to adjust for hills the area of the curve you run on can partially simulate harder and easier running.

I've run on a manual treadmill and much prefer them to even the best powered treadmills. The DPT I go to has a Woodway Pro XL and and AssaultRunner for running form evaluations and to diagnose running pain. I've been on both and while that Woodway was so much better than running on any standard belt treadmill I've ever been on the manual is much closer to actual running. I would get one in a heartbeat if I had that option. It wasn't in the budget when we bought ours (Sole F63) but I would go manual all the way provided it is a quality manual like the AssaultRunner or Woodway Curve.

You can't just zone out like you do on a belt treadmill but that is kind of the point, you are using your muscles much more like you would when out running in the world and while you can't use incline to adjust for hills the area of the curve you run on can partially simulate harder and easier running.
Thanks so much, I've heard similar feedback and want to validate before investing.

Thanks so much, I've heard similar feedback and want to validate before investing.
Do you have anywhere around you where you could try one out? I know of a few places around me that have them and offer single day passes to their gyms. Call around to some local gyms, city recs, or college recs near you and ask if they have any manual treadmills and if they have one time passes. Some may even have a single free day as a way to try and then sell you a membership.

Do you have anywhere around you where you could try one out? I know of a few places around me that have them and offer single day passes to their gyms. Call around to some local gyms, city recs, or college recs near you and ask if they have any manual treadmills and if they have one time passes. Some may even have a single free day as a way to try and then sell you a membership.
I had the opportunity just to take a couple steps on one, but think I'd actually like to do a couple of miles and see how I feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter