Marathon Weekend 2018

Hopefully you will be fine. Obviously passing folks, as long as they pay attention and don't block the course 3,4,5..8 abreast
I hope since people running the marathon probably have more experience with actual races than people at, let's say, a 5k, that most people will know standard race etiquette. We'll see.

Race - 5K
Name (optional) - Emily
DIS Name - emilyindisney
Costume - Dalmatians- hoping it will be cold as these are old recycled Halloween costumes consisting of spotted sweatshirts and sweatpants!
Corral - D
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - Maybe
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Front
Expected Pace - 15:00

Race - 10K
Name (optional) - Emily
DIS Name - emilyindisney
Costume - Dopeys run on Dunkin' (yes, there will be munchkins for my fellow Dunkin' Donuts lovers haha)
Corral - D
Expected Pace - 14:00

Race - Half
Name (optional) - Emily
DIS Name - emilyindisney
Costume - Toy Story Aliens
Corral - E
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - No
Expected Pace - 13:00 (with character stops)

Race - Full
Name (optional) - Emily
DIS Name - emilyindisney
Costume - Dopey themed custom shirt
Corral - E
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - No
Expected Pace - 13:00 (with character/drink stops!)

As a 4:30 marathon finisher stuck in Corral H, how bad will it be congestion wise? Am I going to be able to run my race, or is it basically going to be maneuvering around people the entire time?

I know you are really frustrated at your corral placement, but truthfully, you need to be prepared for MAJOR congestion. I've not started in the back before, but I've always been in the middle of the pack and congestion is a fact of life in these races. The course is too crowded and too narrow at multiple junctures to avoid the congestion. You should be ready for multiple portions of the race course where you will likely be forced to walk for extended periods of time. That will be true likely until you are past Animal Kingdom. At that point, the crowd tends to thin a bit more and the course is mostly wider. I would recommend that you try to be patient and soak in the surroundings during the first half of the race and conserve your energy. If you spend a lot of excess energy in trying to bob and weave around everyone, you won't have a lot in the tank at the end. Likely better to just do the best you can and move through the crowd when the opportunity presents itself and then be prepared to really make up some ground on the second half of the course. I worry that you are going to be so frustrated by your corral placement that you end up not enjoying the race, and that would truly be a shame. Even had you landed in corral C or D (likely where your PoT would have landed you), the crowding and congestion is significant especially in the first half of the race.

As a 4:30 marathon finisher stuck in Corral H, how bad will it be congestion wise? Am I going to be able to run my race, or is it basically going to be maneuvering around people the entire time?

For the half and full, I would recommend pacing yourself until you hit World Drive. Unfortunately, it's so congested until that point and you'll exert a lot of energy and incur additional mileage trying to weave in and out of the congestion. The other extremely difficult area to navigate with congestion will be Cone Alley after the Magic Kingdom. It's narrow and that's far enough into the races, you'll have folks stopping for scheduled and unscheduled walk breaks.

Depending on this week's Dopey Simulation the following may change, but here is where I estimate it now.

Race - 5K
Name (optional) - Kevin
DIS Name - kywyldcat03
Costume - Construction Worker
Corral - B?
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - Yes
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Middle
Expected Pace - 9:30 (will likely stop for characters)

Race - 10K
Name (optional) - Kevin
DIS Name - kywyldcat03
Costume - Superhero
Corral - B?
Expected Pace - 10:00 (will likely stop for missed characters)

Race - Half Marathon
Name (optional) - Kevin
DIS Name - kywyldcat03
Costume - Toy Story Alien
Corral - D
Expected Pace - 10:30 (will likely stop for new characters)

Race - Marathon
Name (optional) - Kevin
DIS Name - kywyldcat03
Costume - Dopey Hat and Team Shenanigans Shirt with "Kevin" on the back
Corral - D
Expected Pace - 10:12 to 10:45 depending on race day conditions (goal to break either 4:30:00 or 4:45:00)

Does anyone (or any blog) have a map or a list of the "real" bathrooms along the course? I can probably figure it out myself from the course map but wanted to check to see if anyone else had already done the work first. I like to plan ahead for bathroom stops and it really helps me with race day anxiety :)

This is me this year, though in G. I don't care about my finish time, but I am worried about congestion. My biggest concern is that the character lines will be really long.

There are definitely choke points during the half and full.

The first one is just before mile 2 when everyone is merging onto World Drive. When I did Goofy a couple years ago, I was practically walking while I made that merge. Once onto World Drive, things opened back up.

The other choke point was going under the bridge before the Contemporary. Everyone pretty much had to funnel down to get through there.

I can't think of many other choke points. Depending on how many people are still with you on the final stretch between the Boardwalk and DHS, that might get slight congested or you having to weave to get around people.

Marathon Weekend DIS List FORM

Race - Marathon
Name - Alan
DIS Name - Tennesotans
Costume - geezer in runner clothes
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? There with bells on ("yes")
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral -- always towards the back.
Expected Pace - 9:05 (the year I break 4:00! :: fingers crossed :: )

Last edited:
For anyone staying, or has stayed, at Shades of Green, do they have their own buses for the marathon? Does it make more sense to walk to the monorail at the Polynesian?

Way late, just noticed this post, but yay more folks at SOG!! Excited for company on the bus.

I would try and get to the front of your corral. If you do that you will have a couple minute buffer until you catch the corral in front of you. As others have mentioned there are both really tight spots on the course and some spots that open up. The big choke points are the on ramp to world drive, the coned off section running along the road from the TTC and then into the Magic kingdom, The coned off section leaving MK to turn off to AK, some of the sections in ESPN, the on ramp by the soldier at mile 20 and the trail from HS to Epcot. Outside of those sections it will be crowded but you should be able to run.

I hope since people running the marathon probably have more experience with actual races than people at, let's say, a 5k, that most people will know standard race etiquette. We'll see.
Yeah but this is a big enough race that the number of people that fall into the "most people" bucket is still pretty large.

I know you are really frustrated at your corral placement, but truthfully, you need to be prepared for MAJOR congestion. I've not started in the back before, but I've always been in the middle of the pack and congestion is a fact of life in these races. The course is too crowded and too narrow at multiple junctures to avoid the congestion. You should be ready for multiple portions of the race course where you will likely be forced to walk for extended periods of time. That will be true likely until you are past Animal Kingdom. At that point, the crowd tends to thin a bit more and the course is mostly wider. I would recommend that you try to be patient and soak in the surroundings during the first half of the race and conserve your energy. If you spend a lot of excess energy in trying to bob and weave around everyone, you won't have a lot in the tank at the end. Likely better to just do the best you can and move through the crowd when the opportunity presents itself and then be prepared to really make up some ground on the second half of the course. I worry that you are going to be so frustrated by your corral placement that you end up not enjoying the race, and that would truly be a shame. Even had you landed in corral C or D (likely where your PoT would have landed you), the crowding and congestion is significant especially in the first half of the race.

I concur

Does anyone (or any blog) have a map or a list of the "real" bathrooms along the course? I can probably figure it out myself from the course map but wanted to check to see if anyone else had already done the work first. I like to plan ahead for bathroom stops and it really helps me with race day anxiety :)
Coach charles had posted one to the boards several years ago. I think they are:
Pre Race (by the monorail station)
TTC (ive heard rumors that you can walk to the other side of the building and there is another bathroom and the lines are shorter)
Normal park bathrooms.
ESPN had at least one.

There are definitely choke points during the half and full.

The first one is just before mile 2 when everyone is merging onto World Drive. When I did Goofy a couple years ago, I was practically walking while I made that merge. Once onto World Drive, things opened back up.

The other choke point was going under the bridge before the Contemporary. Everyone pretty much had to funnel down to get through there...

Exit from Magic Kingdom... service road.
Near Grand Floridian... LOTS of families waving and runners slowing down.
Exit Animal Kingdom... its not even a road... its a walkway.
ESPN stadium... gravel... not a great running surface, and I tend to get some in my shoes...

I avoid weaving and make up the time on the highways :: shrug ::

Corral B for half/full.

Looks like my Dopey plans may be changing. My mom's health has taken a sudden turn for the worst and not sure a long trip is going to happen for me. But you do what you have to do.

I'm following the 'trust your training' guideline. In this case the 'training' is 50+ years in a loving family.

Positive thoughts for you and your Mom.

I have this posted on my Pinterest page. There are real bathrooms in WWoS also and I think you go right past real bathrooms right before Everest in AK.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/506514289314460029/

Do not expect to see people using standard race etiquette. Lack of standard race etiquette is one of the most common complaints about running at Disney. I don't say it to discourage you, but so you can set your expectations appropriately.

Still working my way through it!

Race - Half
Name (optional) - Jim
DIS Name - BuckeyeBama
Costume - Per my wife, something from Frozen
Corral - G
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - No - need to get to the front of the corral
Expected Pace - 15 minute mile

Race - Half
Name (optional) - Kyle
DIS Name - BuckeyeBama's son (no Dis name - he does not read this board - his first half marathon)
Costume - Per my wife, something from Frozen
Corral - G
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - No - need to get to the front of the corral

Race - Half
Name (optional) - Annette
DIS Name - BuckeyeBama's friend (no Dis name of her own, but she lurks - also her first half marathon)
Costume - Anna or Elsa
Corral - G

Race - Half
Name (optional) - Amy
DIS Name - BuckeyeBama's wife (no Dis name of her own)
Costume - Anna or Elsa
Corral - G

Race - Full
Name (optional) - Jim
DIS Name - BuckeyeBama
Costume - None
Corral - G
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Undecided
Expected Pace - 10-12 minute miles, depending on how crowded it is

FYI, the pre-race meet up before the Half Marathon occurs before the walk to the corrals begins. You can still achieve a front of the corral placement and attend the pre-race meet if you wish. We will be standing within 30-50 feet of the place where they first open the walk to the corrals, so you will be among the first to know we've been given the green light.

As a general statement, this is true of all four pre-race meet-ups. All will occur before the corrals are open and thus attending the pre-race meet and being at the front are not mutually exclusive. I'm certainly going to be lining up at the front of my corral in all four races since by my current projections I'll finish in the top 30 in the 5k, top 50 of the 10k, top 100 of the HM, and top 150 of the M.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter