• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

I spoke to a bunch of people on the course who had to start in later corrals because of a bus breakdown on Bueno Vista headed to the race. Apparently it negatively impacted thousands of runners. I was in G, so it only caused me to be further back in my corral.

I was stuck in that traffic,I live locally and drove over,I came down Bonnet Creek and turned on Buena Vista,it was 4:10am.I then sat in traffic barely moving until 4:45-4:50,at that point we were by Victory way and I just said if I stay in this traffic I might not get there for the last corral,it was just a sea of red tail lights with no sign of it starting to move.I made the right but scary at the moment decision to turn left on Victory way to get Osceola Pkwy to then get to World Dr.It was scary cause I had no idea if Osceola would be closed and then I would be in a worse situation.Luckily from the time I turned on Victory there was no traffic at all or closures,in the Epcot lot in 5-10 minutes.If I would have stayed in that traffic my stress level would have put me in a place I did not want.I originally wanted to start near the back corrals to take it easy on the race,Even getting out of the traffic I didn't make it in time for my corral (D),I ended up leaving in the third wave of F.Seriously if I stayed in that traffic I may have gotten to the Epcot parking lot near 6am or later.

Sadly, yesterday was my first full and I got swept outside of WWOS between mile 20 and 21. It was a combination of a nervous stomach (hat to make 3 bathroom stops) and my knee tightening up so I had to mostly walk after mile 18. I enjoyed the race up to mile 18 but is was pretty disheartening after that. Yesterday was supposed to be my first full but I’m not sure I’m cut out for it. May just stick with half’s in the future.
I’m so sorry to hear this. If you decide not to try again that’s a perfectly reasonable choice, BUT. I had the same thoughts about myself, that I’m just not cut out for this distance, after three previous tries. I was never swept but always suffered from some point past Animal Kingdom onward to the point where I slowed way down and was miserably in pain. I was never going to try the marathon again but I decided to ask @DopeyBadger for help this time around and I finished yesterday. It was a triumphant, strong finish for me and convinced me I can do it. Something to think about. Again I’m so sorry you were disappointed.

Sadly, yesterday was my first full and I got swept outside of WWOS between mile 20 and 21. It was a combination of a nervous stomach (hat to make 3 bathroom stops) and my knee tightening up so I had to mostly walk after mile 18. I enjoyed the race up to mile 18 but is was pretty disheartening after that. Yesterday was supposed to be my first full but I’m not sure I’m cut out for it. May just stick with half’s in the future.

So sorry to read this. :hug:

@Dis5150, don't they check you in via laptop when you receive your Goofy/Dopey medals?
If so they will have it on record that you finished the races but didn't claim your medal.

Photopass question regarding the marathon weekend here....I didn't sign up for the photopass option for this weekend, but I'm an AP so I have photopass free on my account. Do I need to do anything special or will those pictures eventually show up in my account? Nothing is there yet. I really should've asked this prior to the weekend, but I assumed it would. I did a ton of photo stops so I hope I can retrieve them, but I won't be devastated if I can't. Just want to know.

Photopass question regarding the marathon weekend here....I didn't sign up for the photopass option for this weekend, but I'm an AP so I have photopass free on my account. Do I need to do anything special or will those pictures eventually show up in my account? Nothing is there yet. I really should've asked this prior to the weekend, but I assumed it would. I did a ton of photo stops so I hope I can retrieve them, but I won't be devastated if I can't. Just want to know.
Did you enter your race code + bib number for each race, into your account? If you did they should just show up. Mine did. If not you can do it now. The codes were in the event guide and there was much more helpful guidance than I’m giving somewhere previous in this thread.

Well I was going to go to Epcot but I am still exhausted. And between the sunburn and the cough I’m developing I decided it wasn’t a good idea. Currently trying to see if they will let me check out later since my Magically express isn’t until 1.

First post since the race yesterday. I completed my first marathon and crushed it! 4:25:31!!!!
9tZOyF6.jpg

Also guys keep in mind the SAG list isn’t entirely accurate to how many people DNFed. You get put on it just for stopping at the med tent.

Did you enter your race code + bib number for each race, into your account? If you did they should just show up. Mine did. If not you can do it now. The codes were in the event guide and there was much more helpful guidance than I’m giving somewhere previous in this thread.

I did not and never saw that anywhere in the event guide. I'll go back an re-review it again and try now.

@Dis5150, don't they check you in via laptop when you receive your Goofy/Dopey medals?
If so they will have it on record that you finished the races but didn't claim your medal.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will help in this case. For Dopey, you get checked once and passed through to the medal presenters. One of them gives you the Dopey medal and the other the Goofy medal. Since she has the Dopey medal, she'll show as having been checked through for both. Hopefully RunDisney will help out, though.

I did not and never saw that anywhere in the event guide. I'll go back an re-review it again and try now.

Instructions are also printed on the back of the bibs.

Don't know how I missed all that about the photopass stuff, but I was able to go in now and linked them. Some of those pics were great, but some made me ask, "is there anything less flattering than race photos?" lol.

I live in South Georgia and have been a Braves fan since I was kid. I'm always pumped to run the warning track of Champions Stadium. The photopass photographer captured my proud moment by getting a pic of me grabbing my calf and making a pain-stricken face after my calf barked at me mid-stride. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter