Marathon Weekend 2018

Oh, and hey...where are my recaps, people??? popcorn:: :surfweb:

Plan on trying to put some stuff together this weekend. Too much stuff to catch up on at work before then. My disastrous full and illness prevented me from going back to MK Sunday and taking my 30 medals pictures. Might have to be a 60 medals pic in another 5 years.

Basically I'm going to do Goofy from now on...the expo on Wednesday is just too hectic, and I really don't think a 5k and a 10k are worth the extra $200... $200 for 9.6 measily miles. Save some hotel money, give more free time and less time off work if need be. Goofy is the way to go.

These are basically my thoughts exactly. I did the inaugural dopey and came back this year because it was the 5th. I think the kids will be out before I do another one. Form me this year our hotel was about $275 a night. Doing dopey caused us to add 2 extra nights so $550 for that pls the $200 plus extra car rental and more disney food make that 5 or 10k cost about $900. I much prefer the less crowded expo, more sleeping in, lower cost, less time away from the kids that Goofy gives me.

Race reviews:

5K: Finished thinking, "Surely this will be it - the rest of the races will be a little warmer..."
Yeah wouldn't that have been nice

Half: . It seemed like a lot of characters! More than previous years, no?

It seemed like that to us too.

For @DopeyBadger , @Keels or anyone else keeping track of such things...

I was in Dopey G for half/full, D for 5K/10K - no POT submitted, entered a 5:40 est finish.
No idea what time I started the 5K, as I forgot to ever turn on GPS lol! Started at 5:58 for the 10K - no idea which wave. Started in G wave 6 for half at 6:23am. Started in G wave 5, I think, for full at 6:20am.

Will we be seeing you at any upcoming races?!!! Missing your reports!
Aw, thanks! :) Not planning on any races anytime soon but I appreciate it! :)
I did the 10k and Full and it was fabulous:). I’ve always liked the 10k course, so wanted to do it. Love Minnie, so that was a big plus. Sleeping in on Saturday was lovely. Then on to the full which had been a goal for me for a long time. I do want to do Dopey once sometime in the future, but I really liked the 10k and full pairing. I referred to it as the “Happy Couple Challenge”!
Happy Couple Challenge - cute! This definitely seems like the way to go in the future. ::yes::

Could someone please share a list of the characters on course for the full? I didn't stop for all of them and I'm already forgetting some.

Trying to take everything in and run a marathon is very difficult!

I did the 10k and Full and it was fabulous:). I’ve always liked the 10k course, so wanted to do it. Love Minnie, so that was a big plus. Sleeping in on Saturday was lovely. Then on to the full which had been a goal for me for a long time. I do want to do Dopey once sometime in the future, but I really liked the 10k and full pairing. I referred to it as the “Happy Couple Challenge”!
Love this challenge name!!!

I had no expectations and I was not disappointed. :rotfl:
I had very, very low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised! :rotfl2:

So, are marathons like childbirth? Painful process, but once you're done and have the sense of accomplishment and are cuddling that nice shiny medal you kind of forget the pain and start considering doing it all over again?

'Cause yesterday sucked at parts, and I definitely feel like someone beat me up today, but my mind is already going "So Space Coast, marathon or half?":scratchin
I think it very much depends on one's experiences... it's been 15 years and I recall every bit of childbirth agony, and never once considered doing that again! But I was ready to register for marathon #2 at mile 25 of marathon #1. ;)

Could someone please share a list of the characters on course for the full? I didn't stop for all of them and I'm already forgetting some.

Trying to take everything in and run a marathon is very difficult!

I didn’t stop for all the characters, but I have pictures with:
Buzz
Sebastian
Woody and Jesse
Hades w/Pain and Panic
Clarabelle
Rafiki and Timon
Pluto
Sport Minnie
Sport Goofy
Baseball Mickey and Donald
Joy and Sadness
Oswald
Aurora

Others I saw but didn’t stop for were:
Evil Queen
Mater and Lightning
Carl and Russell from Up
Launchpad and Scrooge
Anastasia and Drizella
Traveler Genie

Think there were a few more but that’s what I can think of right now.

Buzz
Sebastian
Woody and Jesse
Hades w/Pain and Panic
Clarabelle
Rafiki and Timon
Pluto
Sport Minnie
Sport Goofy
Joy and Sadness
Oswald
Aurora

Evil Queen
Mater and Lightning
Carl and Russell from Up
Launchpad and Scrooge
Anastasia and Drizella
Traveler Genie

Fortune teller Donald
Dragon from MK parade
Penguins from Mary Poppins
Adventurers Club people
King Louie
Belle was with Aurora when I came thru
Jasmine
Mulan
White Rabbit and Tweedles
Undertakers
Clarabelle Cow
I believe Snow White was out at in Germany

Buzz
Sebastian
Woody and Jesse
Hades w/Pain and Panic
Clarabelle
Rafiki and Timon
Pluto
Sport Minnie
Sport Goofy
Joy and Sadness
Oswald
Aurora

Evil Queen
Mater and Lightning
Carl and Russell from Up
Launchpad and Scrooge
Anastasia and Drizella
Traveler Genie

Fortune teller Donald
Dragon from MK parade
Penguins from Mary Poppins
Adventurers Club people
King Louie
Belle was with Aurora when I came thru
Jasmine
Mulan
White Rabbit and Tweedles
Undertakers
Clarabelle Cow
I believe Snow White was out at in Germany

Thank you both! I definitely had forgot many of those. I didn't even see Jasmine or Mulan. Were they in Epcot? I was definitely looking around Epcot expecting more characters.

I plan on doing a race report and not abandoning it like I may or may have not done for past runs. The WDW marathon was amazing. Even though every muscle was cramping on mile 26, nothing can beat hearing "Go The Distance" while finishing a marathon in Epcot. Characters I took a picture with were: Launchpad McQuack, Scrooge McDuck, Tweedle Dee & Dum, White Rabbit, Sebastian, Hades, Pain & Panic, Vacation Genie, Mary Poppins' Penguins, Oswald, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto.

I want to give a detailed report for future marathoners.

Not DL flight 1424 to DTW, by any chance? If so, I was on that one, too.
Yep, I was on 1424. I saw a number of Marathon Weekend runners and talked to a few prior to boarding and after landing. Mostly just congratulations. Maybe we exchanged congrats and did not even know it!

Thank you both! I definitely had forgot many of those. I didn't even see Jasmine or Mulan. Were they in Epcot? I was definitely looking around Epcot expecting more characters.
I didn’t see either of them either. I would have stopped for Mulan. I know I finished hours after @croach thanks to the character group texts, guessing they needed a break. Don’t think I saw Snow White either, but I think I was reading texts getting the location of my margarita pick up from DH as I ran through Germany, so might have missed her.

Yep, Snow White was out.

Mulan and Jasmine were not when I went by. King Louie was walking to his spot in AK when I went by there.
Either we were running right near each other or it's a massive coincidence. I didn't see Mulan or Jasmine and I was second for King Louie just as he was walking to his spot.

Yep both in Epcot. I thought there might be more too but it might have to do with the park being open to guests at 11:00.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter