Marathon Weekend 2018

I am going to run my first Dopey! DD27 will either do Dopey or the marathon, depending on her finances on registration day. And we talked my DS and DBIL into going on this trip! Sis doesn't know what race she will do yet - she will pick one. DBIL will do the marathon. We are planning on renting DVC points but I can't decide where I want to stay. We were going to just get a studio due to $$ but I am concerned with 4 adults since the sofa sleeper is just a double bed in studios. We were going to do Saratoga Springs since we aren't doing parks this trip (!!!) but I just thought of Shades of Green since DBIL just retired from the Army. We could get a room there about the same cost as a DVC studio. Anyone stay at SOG for marathon weekend??

We've stayed at SOG for marathon weekend. Works great. They have buses to the Expo as well as the race starts just like the other resorts although as I recall you don't share those buses with any other resorts so that was a bonus. The rooms at SOG are actually quite spacious I think.

We just stayed with 5!! in a Beach Club studio. My husband and me along with my 3 kids (18, 13 and 13). It was okay, but my 13 year old girls are pretty small for their age. They shared the sleeper sofa and my son was on the murphy bed. He's about 5'9" and around 150 lbs. It was okay for him but would be pretty miserable for anyone much bigger I'd say. The real problem was just more storage for our luggage and stuff. The drawer space at least at Beach Club was really limited and I felt like I was stepping over suitcases the whole time. So, it's doable for sure, but not exactly comfortable. I'd readily suggest SOG (with 2 proper beds) over a DVC studio.

No decision yet. It's a discussion we'll need to have and whether doing Dopey is the right choice for her. Although the plan since 2014 is she would do Dopey in 2018 after completing each of the individual events in successive years.
I am sure she will be successful with whatever she chooses.

I am going to run my first Dopey! DD27 will either do Dopey or the marathon, depending on her finances on registration day. And we talked my DS and DBIL into going on this trip! Sis doesn't know what race she will do yet - she will pick one. DBIL will do the marathon. We are planning on renting DVC points but I can't decide where I want to stay. We were going to just get a studio due to $$ but I am concerned with 4 adults since the sofa sleeper is just a double bed in studios. We were going to do Saratoga Springs since we aren't doing parks this trip (!!!) but I just thought of Shades of Green since DBIL just retired from the Army. We could get a room there about the same cost as a DVC studio. Anyone stay at SOG for marathon weekend??
If you will be renting a car, I recommend that you check out Bonnet Creek. Through the various condo rental sites you can get a really great price. We got a 2 bdr suite for about $170/night.

If you will be renting a car, I recommend that you check out Bonnet Creek. Through the various condo rental sites you can get a really great price. We got a 2 bdr suite for about $170/night.

We LOVE Bonnet Creek! We stay there on all our family vacations. But we aren't renting a car this trip. I just reserved a 4 bdrm Presidential for our family trip in November for $1600 for a week which I think is awesome!

Well, now we are considering a studio at Poly. It has queen bed and queen sofa sleeper, plus the murphy bed. Plus 2 showers. I wonder how hard it is to get a standard view? :)

We've stayed at SOG for marathon weekend. Works great. They have buses to the Expo as well as the race starts just like the other resorts although as I recall you don't share those buses with any other resorts so that was a bonus. The rooms at SOG are actually quite spacious I think.

We just stayed with 5!! in a Beach Club studio. My husband and me along with my 3 kids (18, 13 and 13). It was okay, but my 13 year old girls are pretty small for their age. They shared the sleeper sofa and my son was on the murphy bed. He's about 5'9" and around 150 lbs. It was okay for him but would be pretty miserable for anyone much bigger I'd say. The real problem was just more storage for our luggage and stuff. The drawer space at least at Beach Club was really limited and I felt like I was stepping over suitcases the whole time. So, it's doable for sure, but not exactly comfortable. I'd readily suggest SOG (with 2 proper beds) over a DVC studio.

SOG shared with Poly and GF for this past marathon weekend. And it was the last stop.

Well, now we are considering a studio at Poly. It has queen bed and queen sofa sleeper, plus the murphy bed. Plus 2 showers. I wonder how hard it is to get a standard view? :)

I believe they have more standard view than preferred due to the positioning of the buildings. That being said, I feel like it's going to be a popular time, so you may want to try to book at the 11-month window. That's where we are hoping to stay for the end of our stay. DM and I stayed there for a trip last year and it was fabulous! Loved having the two showers.. plus Poly has all of my favorite restaurants... and Kona coffee.

Just booked SOG for race weekend. We've stayed there before when it was The Disney Inn, and again after the military bought it and turned it into SOG. Now just have to get DH and myself registered for Dopey.

No decision yet. It's a discussion we'll need to have and whether doing Dopey is the right choice for her. Although the plan since 2014 is she would do Dopey in 2018 after completing each of the individual events in successive years.

I think I remember you sharing that your mom was 60? I hope we all can be basking in the glow of completing a marathon and contemplating Dopey at 60! I am sure she will accomplish what ever she sets her mind to being related to you and all!

How fast do you think the 5k will sell out for marathon weekend 2018? My friend and I really want to go! This will be our first disney race.

How fast do you think the 5k will sell out for marathon weekend 2018? My friend and I really want to go! This will be our first disney race.

It sold out in minutes last year. Very few individual registrations and high demand make for a bad mix with the 5K and 10K.

It sold out in minutes last year. Very few individual registrations and high demand make for a bad mix with the 5K and 10K.

Thanks for the warning! It's going to be a crazy registration time. My wife and I want to Dopey, and we want 3 more 5Ks for 2 kids and grandma. I may have to book a conference room at work and post lots of Do Not Disturb signs. Maybe get a few extra laptops... hire some interns...

Thanks for the warning! It's going to be a crazy registration time. My wife and I want to Dopey, and we want 3 more 5Ks for 2 kids and grandma. I may have to book a conference room at work and post lots of Do Not Disturb signs. Maybe get a few extra laptops... hire some interns...

I like your idea...hmmmm... I do have a few student workers, lol

If you're thinking of Poly and you qualify for SOG, why not just stay at SOG? Far more bang for the buck IMHO...

But here's a modest proposal - if you're not planning to do any parks while there, why not stay off-site or, dare I say it, Universal? Plus if you're not buying park tickets then you absolutely have to ride EE just to feel like you got one over on ol' Walt...

If you're thinking of Poly and you qualify for SOG, why not just stay at SOG? Far more bang for the buck IMHO...

But here's a modest proposal - if you're not planning to do any parks while there, why not stay off-site or, dare I say it, Universal? Plus if you're not buying park tickets then you absolutely have to ride EE just to feel like you got one over on ol' Walt...

The rest of my party wants to utilize Magical Express and busses for races and expo, etc. We are not renting a car. So I will try for Poly at least. SOG will be a back up option probably. Sis and BIL are paying half so I have to let them have a say in it, lol. I may buy 2 day park hoppers, for after 5k and after marathon. Pics you know, lol. :) But otherwise, EE for sure! :)

The rest of my party wants to utilize Magical Express and busses for races and expo, etc. We are not renting a car. So I will try for Poly at least. SOG will be a back up option probably. Sis and BIL are paying half so I have to let them have a say in it, lol. I may buy 2 day park hoppers, for after 5k and after marathon. Pics you know, lol. :) But otherwise, EE for sure! :)

shades of green does have busses to the expo and races I believe. Saw them while stuck on the bus at the expo after getting my refund and went oh hey! We should stay there instead. So it looks like they just don't get Magical Express.. which for me is why I don't want to book Shades of green, even though its saving money.

ETA: oops just noticed @ZellyB and @croach already said they had busses. not paying attention today! but yay this was my 3000th post?

Last edited:
Can someone refresh my (really lousy) memory?
What's the oldest race we'll be able to use as POT for 2018? Any idea of when the deadline for POT ends?
Yeah, so I haven't taken a race seriously since 2014 and am just now realizing how this might be a problem...

Can someone refresh my (really lousy) memory?
What's the oldest race we'll be able to use as POT for 2018? Any idea of when the deadline for POT ends?
Yeah, so I haven't taken a race seriously since 2014 and am just now realizing how this might be a problem...
2014 is definitely too long ago for a POT. For 2018 the rundisney site says any race after January 1st, 2016.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter