Marathon Weekend 2018

Officially registered for the full! Now I've got a year to take an hour off of my time. Totally possible, right? Especially since I will be training for the full this year instead of the half :rotfl:
I would love to take an hour off my time in the next year! I'd be thrilled with 45 minutes (my marathon time is 4:28 and I should be able to get sub-4). And I do think it is possible from a training perspective, but I don't know if it's possible from a Disney perspective. My worst race times are all RD events because I stop for photos constantly. I don't know if I can "race" a Disney event. Although with Dopey, maybe if I take it fun and easy over the first three races, I'll be over the photo-op element for the full?

I don't know if I can "race" a Disney event. Although with Dopey, maybe if I take it fun and easy over the first three races, I'll be over the photo-op element for the full?

That was my plan for Dumbo at DL last year. Take all the photos during the 10K and skip the photo ops during the half. It didn't go exactly as planned.

I am wondering if the marathon will have anything particularly different this time since it is the 25th?

That was my plan for Dumbo at DL last year. Take all the photos during the 10K and skip the photo ops during the half. It didn't go exactly as planned.

I am wondering if the marathon will have anything particularly different this time since it is the 25th?
Good question, I don't know! And although I may be able to race a half after a fun 10K the day before, I'm not sure I could be in peak condition to race a full marathon after 13.1 miles at any speed the day before. I might need to find another marathon in late January 2018 to capitalize on the training!

Has anyone stayed at AoA during marathon weekend? How was transportation? Are busses shared with another resort?

I am sure they'll have a spectacular surprise that's even better than the one at mile 20 five years ago, right @Ariel484? :laughing:

Okay. Spill.

Has anyone stayed at AoA during marathon weekend? How was transportation? Are busses shared with another resort?

I have stayed at AOA twice for marathon weekend. Buses were shared with Pop for the Expo and race days. (You can't get much closer to the Expo.) I had great experiences both times, though, and wouldn't hesitate staying again.

Edited to say that, when I have stayed at AOA for race weekends, I usually stay in the Little Mermaid rooms. My guess is that these rooms have fewer non-race guests and are probably quieter than the rest of the resort.

Last edited:
Okay. Spill.

I have stayed at AOA twice for marathon weekend. Buses were shared with Pop for the Expo and race days. (You can't get much closer to the Expo.) I had great experiences both times, though, and wouldn't hesitate staying again.

Edited to say that, when I have stayed at AOA for race weekends, I usually stay in the Little Mermaid rooms. My guess is that these rooms have fewer non-race guests and are probably quieter than the rest of the resort.
Thank you for you info! I've never stayed there and want to try some place new in January!

My mom has decided to run Dopey in 2018 fulfilling her five year journey at age 61.

2014 - 5k
2015 - 10k
2016 - HM
2017 - M
2018 - Dopey

Now it's time to get all the ducks in a row. :D

We're going to have to work VERY HARD on restraint this year. While I can appreciate trying to PR all 4 races, we need to make sure it's the right choice when the time comes. Apple not far from the tree when it comes to race day...

She decided to do the registration herself, but sent it to me to review. No, POT submitted. Because "Disney knows I ran previous races through them." Nope. Doesn't work that way. So we got that disaster everted by submitting her POT appropriately. We'll look for a 10 mile race this year to use as a new POT since the next question I got was "how do I get a lower bib number?"

Also, submitted our DVC rental request as well for Boardwalk. Fingers crossed!

Seems like we just left... :P

My mom has decided to run Dopey in 2018 fulfilling her five year journey at age 61.

2014 - 5k
2015 - 10k
2016 - HM
2017 - M
2018 - Dopey

Now it's time to get all the ducks in a row. :D

We're going to have to work VERY HARD on restraint this year. While I can appreciate trying to PR all 4 races, we need to make sure it's the right choice when the time comes. Apple not far from the tree when it comes to race day...

She decided to do the registration herself, but sent it to me to review. No, POT submitted. Because "Disney knows I ran previous races through them." Nope. Doesn't work that way. So we got that disaster everted by submitting her POT appropriately. We'll look for a 10 mile race this year to use as a new POT since the next question I got was "how do I get a lower bib number?"

Also, submitted our DVC rental request as well for Boardwalk. Fingers crossed!

Seems like we just left... :P

That's so awesome. My mom has run the 5K and 10K the last few years, but we haven't been able to stoke any competitive fires to get her to move up in distance. Nothing wrong with that and I'm glad she stepped out of her comfort zone to participate in the races she does, but I have to admit I was hoping she might show an interest in a new challenge.

"Disney knows I ran previous races through them." :rotfl2:

I have no doubt! Wish I could do Little Rock, but Jonesboro added a full in September so hoping to get a decent time in that one because I've learned how helpful corral placement is!

I waited too long and the Little Rock full sold out. It's for the best though, I need to concentrate on shorter distances to get faster I think. Do you know about the 10 miler in Little Rock at the end of April? That is now my goal race for POT. :)

I waited too long and the Little Rock full sold out. It's for the best though, I need to concentrate on shorter distances to get faster I think. Do you know about the 10 miler in Little Rock at the end of April? That is now my goal race for POT. :)
10 miler would be great! 5:00 pm in late April in Arkansas?? I may have to wait until the weather forecast to sign up for that one...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter