Marathon Weekend 2018

Princess 2011 was my 1st rD race - also my 1st half marathon. I had so much fun and I sobbed when I crossed the finish line as I had never run that far before. Since then - I've gone on to do the WDW marathon twice (including Dopey 2016), the NYC marathon, 4 half ironmans, and one full ironman. I don't know if I would have been motivated to accomplish so much without Disney getting me started on endurance running! Looking forward to Dopey #2 in 2018!

He is kindly staying home with the kids while I go fight for this milestone (First 1/2 marathon!) alone.

Congrats on going back and doing it! You won't be alone. You will have friends here in various corrals so you can run with us depending on speed. (If we are in the same corral I'll be your waiting buddy until we take off through the chute)

Take it all in and enjoy the moment. Your first race is special :)

I'm creating a running team for Revel Utah, September 9th for all of us seeking a great POT for our marathon / Dopey Challenge. We need at least one more runner to get the discount and we're all Dopey POT chasers.

If anyone is interested, let me know. You don't have to hang out with us or room with us. You just get the benefit of an additional $5 discount on your reg fee :)

2017 WDW Marathon weekend was my first runDisney experience! Trained and paid for the half.. (the cancelled half) and bumped up to the full marathon after never running more than 10 miles in my life. Gosh darn it, I was going to run through Magic Kingdom no matter what it took. That was my motivator during those training months and it was going to happen!

I finished, in a not so pretty time but I finished. Signed up for 2018 marathon to beat my time by an hour and hopefully enjoy myself the day after, rather than wanting to sleep and never use my legs again:blush: I learned that if my brain can prepare for 26 miles, then my body is more than capable.

I learned that if my brain can prepare for 26 miles, then my body is more than capable.

This is a mastery-level achievement you have unlocked!
The mental piece is so much more of a challenge than the actual physical part of running.

Your body can do so much more than you expect, it's always your mind getting in the way and holding you back.

The mental piece is so much more of a challenge than the actual physical part of running.

Your body can do so much more than you expect, it's always your mind getting in the way and holding you back.

So true... and this makes me think of a Marathon 2016 quote, "Get out of your head, Keels!" :goodvibes

What kind of a bag can a spectator carry around during the races? I know for gEAR check, the runners can have one clear bag (usually the one provided at the expo) and check that. For the person not running, what can I carry around while waiting for my girlfriend to run like a freak around The World? I looked through the 2017 Marathon guide, but I couldn't find any information on it.

I used to carry around my camera bag before The Boston Marathon tragedy. After that, The Philadelphia Broad Street Run no longer allowed bags of any kind.

What kind of a bag can a spectator carry around during the races? I know for gEAR check, the runners can have one clear bag (usually the one provided at the expo) and check that. For the person not running, what can I carry around while waiting for my girlfriend to run like a freak around The World? I looked through the 2017 Marathon guide, but I couldn't find any information on it.

I used to carry around my camera bag before The Boston Marathon tragedy. After that, The Philadelphia Broad Street Run no longer allowed bags of any kind.
I believe as a spectator you can take any bag that would be permitted in a Disney park it just has to go through the security of you are coming through in the early morning like runners.

Your entire post is inspiring :) I love this part the most though - I will remember this as the date gets closer

Congrats. :)

It's good to know you seasoned runners still have to remind yourselves of that! And this is also how I made it through childbirth!!:blush:

I have a question regarding corral placement as I plan for races this year to improve my time. I know you can put your half marathon time in to get placed in a corral but not sure how that time is converted to marathon time. Would it be better to get a faster time in the half marathon or marathon? For example, would it be better to run a half marathon at 1:50 or a marathon at 3:40? Does the conversion equation simply double the half marathon time or does it factor it up by an amount? If so, does anyone know the amount? I am trying to plan for either a marathon or half to improve my time and get a better corral placement. Thank you!

I have a question regarding corral placement as I plan for races this year to improve my time. I know you can put your half marathon time in to get placed in a corral but not sure how that time is converted to marathon time. Would it be better to get a faster time in the half marathon or marathon? For example, would it be better to run a half marathon at 1:50 or a marathon at 3:40? Does the conversion equation simply double the half marathon time or does it factor it up by an amount? If so, does anyone know the amount? I am trying to plan for either a marathon or half to improve my time and get a better corral placement. Thank you!

RunDisney uses the McMillan calculator or something very similar. There are a number of sites that have the calculator available. I'd suggest playing around with times on the site to see if the time calculated from your half marathon is better than your actual marathon time. In my case, it turned out to be better to use the half marathon projected time rather than the actual marathon time.

While I won't argue running is very mental, mind games can be played I know, but for me once the mental piece is there & has been there for years, the physical part to me is more of a challenge. So, once the goal is more than just finishing the milestone race/distance/whatever and goals become time oriented/to enjoy it/or whatever they may be, the physical training is more important to me anyway. My mind can say I want to go XX pace but my body will say no. My mind can say run but if my body isn't up to it, it isn't happening how I want it to always. So, I guess for me mental and physical are just as equal.

While I won't argue running is very mental, mind games can be played I know, but for me once the mental piece is there & has been there for years, the physical part to me is more of a challenge. So, once the goal is more than just finishing the milestone race/distance/whatever and goals become time oriented/to enjoy it/or whatever they may be, the physical training is more important to me anyway. My mind can say I want to go XX pace but my body will say no. My mind can say run but if my body isn't up to it, it isn't happening how I want it to always. So, I guess for me mental and physical are just as equal.
I hear you on that. The mental game is the easy part for me: I'm very stubborn and once I've decided to do something, by golly, I'll do it. And if I'm not careful that can lead to injuries, so distance running has been way more of a physical challenge than mental for me.

Good point, certainly would not want someone to think they can will their way through a marathon without the training. The training is definitely a part that requires mental fortitude for me, to get out for 18 weeks following a plan to prepare. To get up and get the miles in when an extra hour of sleep is calling your name. To push through those last intervals when your body says enough. To finish the miles of that long run when there is a shorter path back to your house.

Agreed on both sides. I think the physical part is very much the largest. However, if there is any struggles (and there will be) during training or more so during the race, that is where a tough mental mind set is invaluable!

RunDisney uses the McMillan calculator or something very similar. There are a number of sites that have the calculator available. I'd suggest playing around with times on the site to see if the time calculated from your half marathon is better than your actual marathon time. In my case, it turned out to be better to use the half marathon projected time rather than the actual marathon time.

I'm like you... my projected marathon time from the half is much faster than any actual marathon I've run. Maybe that means my marathon training isn't what it should be.

ok, i'm in for the half!
2017 Tink was going to be my last rD, then I keep having this empty feeling so..
checked kids' calendar, they can join me!!
checked airfare, very reasonable!!
checked DVC, 2 out of 3 nights available, I'll take that!!
checked Disney 4 night Cruise, price doable, I'll take that!!

so I'm in and hope to do the Castaway Cay 5k to add to my bling!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter