• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Haven't done a runDisney race yet so my current favorite medal is the 2012 Marine Corps Marathon. DC is my favorite city, the globe spins, plus I love how the medal is the Marine Corps logo. It was a very emotional race with all the Marines lined up along the course and then having a Marine place the medal over my neck after I finished is a great memory!
dc11.jpg

My first runDisney medal will come at the Wine & Dine 10K this year, but I'm most looking forward to the 6 I'm going to get after I complete Dopey 2018!!!!

I can't believe nobody picked the 2017 Anniversary Half Marathon medal!!?? Goodness, that thing is horrid.

Word. I was so disappointed in that medal. I was all stoked about that anniversary one and was sure it would be a spinner (like the 20th marathon and 10th Goofy), but no. They did that weird XX thing. And, then of course the race was cancelled too. I think that cursed medal is at fault!

Legit the ugliest RD medal I've ever received and I'm glad I didn't have to run for it because it's worse than what I get from most local tiny races.

Have to agree. I have all my Disney medals hung together and they somewhat overlap and I made sure this one was hidden!

My favorite medal is the 2017 full marathon medal. It was my first full marathon but aside from that I just think it is really cool looking.

I can't believe nobody picked the 2017 Anniversary Half Marathon medal!!?? Goodness, that thing is horrid.

I love the old-school feel of my 2017 marathon medal!

I was just about to post that it is my pick! Mainly because it was SUPPOSED to be my 1st 1/2 Marathon. I was supposed to run with my husband and it was on the exact date of our 10 year wedding anniversary. So of course it got cancelled. It's the only medal I have even though I haven't earned it.

I am registered to run next year's 1/2 (but hubby can't join this time) as my do-over. But I think that the 2017 1/2 medal will be my favorite because of the story involved! (I agree that it is fairly ugly though!)

Out of curiosity, if I don't want to be placed in the very last corral/wave, what time would I need to report? I have a 10 miler under my belt at around 1:58, and my recent half at the Darkside was 3:20. Since I live in Florida, and we're starting to get into the hot season, the number of 10 mile or greater races that I could use to qualify are going to be few and far between until the fall (and I think the PoT requirement for the marathon is sometime in October). Are either of those times good enough for what I want (and if so, which should I submit), or do I need to start hunting for something else to run before the deadline?

TIA!!

@Motorhead9999 you should Google, Corrals for previous versions of whichever race you are doing, and you will see the time required at each letter. Then you will know approximately where your current POT is likely to place you.

Out of curiosity, if I don't want to be placed in the very last corral/wave, what time would I need to report? I have a 10 miler under my belt at around 1:58, and my recent half at the Darkside was 3:20. Since I live in Florida, and we're starting to get into the hot season, the number of 10 mile or greater races that I could use to qualify are going to be few and far between until the fall (and I think the PoT requirement for the marathon is sometime in October). Are either of those times good enough for what I want (and if so, which should I submit), or do I need to start hunting for something else to run before the deadline?

TIA!!

Either of those times should keep you out of the last corral. The 10 miler time likely will get you a better corral placement. Check the McMillan run calculator to get a better idea of what time rD will project for your marathon time for corral placement.

I saw the question on Sunday and it took me awhile to decide if I was going to answer or not. I don't race for the bling and medals have never been a consideration when registering.

Don't get me wrong, I love that feeling when I cross the finish line and earn that medal. But, eventually they just end up in a rarely looked at corner in my basement. It happens to be the same corner my treadmill is in so I had a good 40 minutes tonight to decide.

Easily, my favorite is from the 2014 Hot Chocolate 15k in Chicago. For one, I just really enjoyed that race, but mostly because it's shaped like chocolate.:-)
hc_medal_home_chi.png

Now that I'm back home (and back to work:guilty:) from Dark Side weekend, time to start looking forward to Marathon Weekend! The next couple of months until 2018 online booking opens will be nice to not be obsessively Disney planning, but should be just enough time for me to miss it.:laughing:

I just registered today for the full marathon! After 5 half marathons, including three rD events in the past 6 months (W&D, and both Star Wars events), I figured it was time.

I've never ever run longer than 13.1 miles, but I hope I'm up for the challenge. In all honesty, I previously thought I wasn't capable of running a full marathon, but I had a great race last weekend at the Dark Side, so I guess we'll find out!

I just registered today for the full marathon! After 5 half marathons, including three rD events in the past 6 months (W&D, and both Star Wars events), I figured it was time.

I've never ever run longer than 13.1 miles, but I hope I'm up for the challenge. In all honesty, I previously thought I wasn't capable of running a full marathon, but I had a great race last weekend at the Dark Side, so I guess we'll find out!
I'm right there with you! You'll do great!

I'm in the same situation too :) The Star Wars race this past weekend was my 6th half. The 2018 Disney marathon will be my first full too. I'm excited and spent some time today looking into options for marathon trailing, possible training plans, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter