• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

As it says on the website,
  • You must pick up your own participant packet which includes your event-issued bib number and timing device) during regularly scheduled hours. Individuals will no longer be able to pick up participant packets on behalf of others.
  • Download and complete your personalized race waiver online (available approximately two weeks prior to event).
  • Visit the Expo at ESPN Wide World of Sports to pick up your Race Packet.
  • You must have a valid ID in order to pick up your packet (driver's license, passport, Military ID, Government issued ID.)
  • If you do not have a valid photo ID we cannot issue you your race bib. No exceptions will be made.
From your experience, do they actually check the photo ID?

From your experience, do they actually check the photo ID?

Hypothetically, we may have had a bit of an issue with wanting to get to MK as quickly as possible on the Thursday after the 5k this year. Also hypothetically, my cousin who was running the 10k may not have been arriving until Thursday morning. This may or may not have left us with a quandary about how to pick up her registration with the rest of our group on Wednesday rather than requiring an extra expo trip on Thursday.

Not saying that having a close relative (hypothetically in this case my sister/her cousin) pose as her with a photocopy of her passport will work every time; however, it didn't not work the one time we tried it. You know, hypothetically.

Yesterday, I posted a question about proof of ID for registering at WDW Marathon. I'll give a bit more context to my question and seek some advice.

My friend and I are registered for the WDW marathon. Her given name is Selena - all her ID - driver's licence, passport, credit cards - everything is under Selena. But she has gone by Serena for years (I wish I could explain the silliness of this but I can't :/).

When she registered for races...she uses Serena. So her POT will be listed under that name and same for when she registered on Active.com. (When we booked our flights, Disney rooms... using her given name.)

So here it is - for Disney, she is Selena with ID
For Active - she is Serena
For her POT - she is Serena

When contacted RunDisney, they recommend that she change her name on Active, which makes sense....except for her POT.

Could she use her POT under Serena or is she needing to run another race under Selena? Thx so much!

When she registered for races...she uses Serena. So her POT will be listed under that name and same for when she registered on Active.com. (When we booked our flights, Disney rooms... using her given name.)

When contacted RunDisney, they recommend that she change her name on Active, which makes sense....except for her POT.

This is just a suggestion...I have no actual experience with this. However I would just leave it as it is. ONE letter difference is not likely to be noticed, when checking the ID. The last name is the same, the photo will match. I'm sure it will be a non-issue.

If you read the Marathon Investigation article, this wasn't the first time she's stolen a bib. The guy who runs the site has examples of her doing it in other races, including the 2016 Tink races (which had traditional volunteers and not the new paid temps).

I'd have to guess that this sort of thing happens more than we realize...we just don't always hear about it either because it doesn't blow up like this particular story did, or the people that do it simply do not get caught. :confused3

Yesterday, I posted a question about proof of ID for registering at WDW Marathon. I'll give a bit more context to my question and seek some advice.

My friend and I are registered for the WDW marathon. Her given name is Selena - all her ID - driver's licence, passport, credit cards - everything is under Selena. But she has gone by Serena for years (I wish I could explain the silliness of this but I can't :/).

Could she use her POT under Serena or is she needing to run another race under Selena? Thx so much!

I'm pretty sure this will not be an issue. If they notice, which as my previous story suggests may be unlikely, I think it would be pretty easy to say it was a typo. I believe people have accidentally put down the wrong birthdate in the past (from stories of people having difficulty printing their waivers) and I've never heard of someone being turned away.

I don't think she'll have a problem with that. My husband's first name is Frank, but he goes by his middle name, Chris. So, his active and Disney stuff all says Chris but his ID obviously says Frank. He's never had so much as a blink out of the folks at bib pickup. As long as DOB matches, I think it's really unlikely they would question Selena vs Serena.

I have a similar issue - I can't get Disney (regular and rD) to let go of my married name, but I'm divorced and have been going by my maiden name for some time. PoT, Active, Disney, rD would have been hard to match up, so I simply made my Active (and thus, going forward, rD) name include aaalll my names: first, middle, old last, new last. That way, some part will always match. So for Selena/Serena, I think I'd change it in Active to include both: "Serena (Selena) Jones Smith".

This should not be an issue. We have been doing rD for three or four years now (multiple runs each year) and my running buddy's first name on her registration does not match any of her ID's (parental chosen name verses personally chosen name...). Her rD registration and PoTs all have one name, her ID's have another. The check in volunteers have never had an issue. Plus it is obviously her in the ID photo. If it were a last name issue, there could be a problem.

FYI for those buying memory maker. Prices went up today. $169 for advanced purchase, $199 for day of purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter