Marathon Weekend 2018

I housed a bag of crispy M&M’s during the marathon. Was surprised they were handing out full size.

Good way to help with eating gels is to take a drink with it and swish it around.
I've found that the Gatorade chews taste decent and pack the potassium, sodium, and carbs you need. If you can't get past the artificial flavor taste, I've used sweedish fish for carbs and get my electrolytes thru Powerade or gatorade during the run. Sweedish fish go down relatively easily compared to the sports beans or chews.

Good evening fellow marathoners! As a first time WDW marathoner, I just joined this board yesterday in hopes to have some of the many questions I have about how this event unfolds, answered. I'm not easily overwhelmed by anything, but it seems to me that a lot of things have to happen before you even take your first step in the race. I'm running for Autism Speaks, and as part of the event, I purchased race retreat admissions for my wife (a spectator) and I. Not sure if that's a waste of money or not, but I thought it would be a good idea to try at least for my first Disney event. One very basic question I have is where exactly do the runners go once they arrive at Epcot around 3:30 or so? Seems like a lot of time to kill before the race starts? Also, are there announcements telling the runners to head to the corrales? I'm not worried about the race itself, but for some reason I am worried about the time leading up to the start. I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance where all this is concerned!

If you purchased race retreat, there is a tent for you to hang out in. Otherwise, there is a large staging area with pre-race pictures and other things that most runners hang out in. There is a DJ and they do make announcements that people can start heading to corrals once they open.

Yeah, and just this morning I started taking Emergen-C chewable tablets. I work in a 24 hour living facility for developmentally disabled adults and although I do work up in the administration building I volunteer in the mornings to transport our clients from their homes to their training areas. And someone is ALWAYS sick!
I work in an Emergency department. We like to joke about having the strongest immune systems on the planet.

Good evening fellow marathoners! As a first time WDW marathoner, I just joined this board yesterday in hopes to have some of the many questions I have about how this event unfolds, answered. I'm not easily overwhelmed by anything, but it seems to me that a lot of things have to happen before you even take your first step in the race. I'm running for Autism Speaks, and as part of the event, I purchased race retreat admissions for my wife (a spectator) and I. Not sure if that's a waste of money or not, but I thought it would be a good idea to try at least for my first Disney event. One very basic question I have is where exactly do the runners go once they arrive at Epcot around 3:30 or so? Seems like a lot of time to kill before the race starts? Also, are there announcements telling the runners to head to the corrales? I'm not worried about the race itself, but for some reason I am worried about the time leading up to the start. I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance where all this is concerned!
With race retreat you guys have your own area with snacks and drinks in a tent. They also will have character meet and greets as well usually. The outside of the tent is where most people hang out. There will be a DJ, character meet and greets, and lots of people waiting. They will make announcements when to start making your way to the corrals. The corrals are nearly a mile away during the half and full marathons too so it takes a good walk to get to them.

If you purchased race retreat, there is a tent for you to hang out in. Otherwise, there is a large staging area with pre-race pictures and other things that most runners hang out in. There is a DJ and they do make announcements that people can start heading to corrals once they open.
Thank you, Bryana! How do you pack for race day (at the race). I normally carry a number of things with me that I use for running - tape, anti friction stuff, change of clothes, etc. I'm assuming this all goes in a Disney gEAR bag that I will be issued upon checking in at the WWS? And, are these bags all stored in one single location?

With race retreat you guys have your own area with snacks and drinks in a tent. They also will have character meet and greets as well usually. The outside of the tent is where most people hang out. There will be a DJ, character meet and greets, and lots of people waiting. They will make announcements when to start making your way to the corrals. The corrals are nearly a mile away during the half and full marathons too so it takes a good walk to get to them.
Thank you, Rteetz. All good info. Very much appreciated!

Thank you, Bryana! How do you pack for race day (at the race). I normally carry a number of things with me that I use for running - tape, anti friction stuff, change of clothes, etc. I'm assuming this all goes in a Disney gEAR bag that I will be issued upon checking in at the WWS? And, are these bags all stored in one single location?
That would all go in your gear bag. Usually the bag you get with your race shirts in is the bag you use. All bags are in tents in where they are usually sorted by bib number. This will all be very obvious on race day. Signage and such is very easy to follow.

At bib pick-up, you'll be given a large, clear drawstring bag that you can carry what you need with you and then "check" for them to hold for you until you finish.

If you do Race Retreat, there's a special bag drop in that tent ... along with a large area of pads and things for pre and post-race stretching and prep.

I purchased race retreat admissions for my wife (a spectator) and I. Not sure if that's a waste of money or not, but I thought it would be a good idea to try at least for my first Disney event.

I've done Race Retreat for the past two marathons - in 2016, we only used it for bag-drop on Marathon morning (it was warm that morning!), so we just dropped our bags there and grabbed a PowerAde/Water and went out to the corrals. It was GREAT for when we finished the Marathon ... we came back to get our bags, had COLD water and PowerAde available to us, comfy chairs to sit down on to swap shoes after we got our gear bags and we got our finisher's "present" - a 2016 WDW Marathon towel! This year, I used it again to bag drop but that was it - I didn't even bother to change my shoes or anything ... just went in, got my bag and my gift and then went out to the parking lot for beers with @FFigawi.

That would all go in your gear bag. Usually the bag you get with your race shirts in is the bag you use. All bags are in tents in where they are usually sorted by bib number. This will all be very obvious on race day. Signage and such is very easy to follow.
Thank you, Rteetz!

I've done Race Retreat for the past two marathons - in 2016, we only used it for bag-drop on Marathon morning (it was warm that morning!), so we just dropped our bags there and grabbed a PowerAde/Water and went out to the corrals. It was GREAT for when we finished the Marathon ... we came back to get our bags, had COLD water and PowerAde available to us, comfy chairs to sit down on to swap shoes after we got our gear bags and we got our finisher's "present" - a 2016 WDW Marathon towel! This year, I used it again to bag drop but that was it - I didn't even bother to change my shoes or anything ... just went in, got my bag and my gift and then went out to the parking lot for beers with @FFigawi.
Awesome! Not having done a Disney race before, the anticipation is killing me. I'm sure that all of this moves like clockwork, else there would be a lot of confused people wandering around. I'm probably overreacting to pre-race concerns, but I just don't want to screw anything up. Thank you again, Bryana!

Jim one note about the race retreat that I have not seen anyone else mention.

The morning before the race begins is for runners only so your wife will not be able to join you in the Race Retreat Tent prior to the race. She will not be allowed into the tent until after the runners have left and made they way to the corrals

From RunDisney site

[RunDisney said:
Sunday, January 7, 2018
3:00 a.m. – 5:00 a.m. (runners only)
5:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (runners and Platinum ChEAR Squad only)

I still think your wife will really appreciate having a place to sit down, relax, and have a snack. She will really enjoy having the restrooms (porta-potties) and warmth (it can be really cold some years), while waiting for you as you run your first race. Once your done it will give you a place to sit down and relax while you tell her all about your race before heading back to the room to crash for a couple hours (or at least that's what I do).

As others have said it is very well organized and your going to find that the prerace nerves are unwarranted, but trust me I do understand if you haven't don one you don't know what to expect.

Enjoy your first RunDisney event!

Take a look at last year's program. it has lots of info,maps, etc. you can get a feel for the set-up. Page 23 shows the marathon staging, etc.

http://rodale-usa.instantmagazine.com/rundisney/dwmar17#!/cover

Last edited:
Was the 2017 gift a towel too? Is that their thing for race retreat?

Was the 2017 gift a towel too? Is that their thing for race retreat?

I did race retreat with the inaugural Dopey, for the half and the full. We got a prize each morning. One was a black pair of runDisney socks. The other was a white pair of runDisney socks. Curse my hobbit sized feet, as there is no way on earth they will ever fit me. I used them to transport the medals home with minimal clanging and banging.

Another reason to always carry your own race nutrition. When I started running 10 years ago, I tried to use sportbeans. But I quickly found that the idea/fact/mechanics/zen of chewing while running was not gonna work for me. Nor was drinking vast quantities of sports drink. Gels work,but I have to say, I am not a fan of either Gu or Clif (too thick), so unless Disney decides to do PowerGels, I'll bring my own!
+1
In the past I haven't minded using clif shots, but I am always worried about having the nutrition I want on the schedule that I want it. In general the on course nutrition for the marathon hasn't started soon enough for me. I usually take my first Gu between mile 6 and 8 and I think the first on course gel hasn't been till about mile 13. I find for Marathons I do better if I start with nutrition sooner. Its not an issue for halves.

It seems like a lot of time, but depending on what corral you are in that time can go by quickly. From the race retreat I think it's about a mile walk out to where the corrals are. That walk is along a fairly narrow road and 20K people will be walking on it. It makes it a fairly slow walk out to the corrals. Porta-Potty lines out by the corrals can also have some pretty decent lines ( 10-15 minutes or more)

On Race morning I usually make it to Epcot around 3:35. In the past I haven't carried a bag so I've been able to go through the no bags security line. At 3:40/3:45 that security line hasn't been too long. I'm usually into the staging area before 4. In that area I usually have about 20-30 minutes to stand in different character lines and meet up with people. Usually by 4:30 I've headed through the bag check area and wandering towards the end of the parking lot where the road leads out to the corrals. I think in general I'm usually to the corrals somewhere around 30 minutes before the race starts but then usually parts of our group tends to head back to the porta-potties on the corner of backstage lane or heads to the bushes.

Your assumptions are basically correct. The staging area for the start and the post race area are the same place. Someone might be able to answer if there is a different path to get to race retreat, but in general when you get to epcot you are usually in the lot pretty close to facing the park. You'll follow a long line of people over to the "Explore" lot. As you get to "Explore" there is security station where they are inspecting bags. You then pass through a section that has tents for each of the individual charities and there are usually photopass people in this section too. If you you turn right that takes you back to the runners retreat tent (I think.) If instead of turning right to go to the runners retreat, you go straight ahead you wind up in a staging area that has characters before the race, a dj and merch and food after the race. I believe this is considered the post race reunion area and it's usually where wind up meeting up with family post race. Along the right side of this section are the gear check tents. These tents are grouped by letter inside them there are volunteers behind a table that take your gear check bag from you and store it in that tent. (if you don't have a gear check bag you can go through any tent) At the far end of the family reunion area is where busses pick people up at the end of the race. Once you go through gear check there are a whole bunch of porta potties in front of you and they will all have long lines. In general if you go towards your left ( which is the way towards the corrals) the Porta-potties there have shorter lines. That also takes you to the little road which will lead out to the corrals.

On the topic of gels has anyone else tried Huma gels? They are chia seed based energy gels with fruit puree and some with caffiene. I was skeptical at first as they didn't sound that good, I was also worried about those darn chia seeds getting stuck in my teeth like they do when I've eaten them in bars but in these gels they are powdered. Some of the flavors are actually pretty good (Lemonade, Strawberry, Raspberry) as they taste a little more like preserves. After trying GU and Cliff gels and chews I was having trouble with the consistancy of them but as mentioned they need to be taken with water which helps. I tried the Huma gels and found them to be a smoother/looser consistancy that was pretty easy to get down. Still need to take them with water but for me it was a nice change. Running fuel is a personal thing we all have our go-to energy source, I just wanted to bring this up to see if anyone else had tried them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter