• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

We'll be at OKW and Pop. I rented pts at OKW and when our plans changed I wasn't able to add extra nights, so split stay with Pop it is. I've only stayed at values in recent memory so I'm excited to see what OKW is like. My family stayed at then Dixie Landings nearly 20 years ago but I don't remember much about the resort.

Question for you veterans... What's the least crowded day/time for the expo? We could go either Friday or Saturday. There's no must have merch for me but I am hoping to buy something with that sweet 90s throwback vibe.

We'll be at OKW and Pop. I rented pts at OKW and when our plans changed I wasn't able to add extra nights, so split stay with Pop it is. I've only stayed at values in recent memory so I'm excited to see what OKW is like. My family stayed at then Dixie Landings nearly 20 years ago but I don't remember much about the resort.

Question for you veterans... What's the least crowded day/time for the expo? We could go either Friday or Saturday. There's no must have merch for me but I am hoping to buy something with that sweet 90s throwback vibe.

Well, I'm no expert, but from what I've seen/witnessed, going in the later afternoon is your best bet to avoid big crowds. I'm not sure there'd be a huge difference between Friday or Saturday though. We've always gone in the afternoon on either Thursday or Friday and the crowds have been light.

We are at BCV one day and OKW for the rest of the stay. I am still hoping against hope for a waitlist miracle. We're waitlisted at both BCV and BLT for easier park access. Really mad at myself for not planning sooner, but really couldn't decide whether to bring the kids and held off until we decided.

In other shoe news I went to NB outlet this weekend for a third pair of shoes, and my daughter got the haunted mansion shoes for $31! They only had tiny and very large sizes, or I would have gotten them for that price. I tried on the Mad Hatter 880v6, but it didn't feel right by my ankle. I am on my third pair of 880v7 this year, so there must have been a structural difference and I didn't love that design enough to take the chance.

Where are you staying for Marathon weekend?

Add another to Saratoga Springs. :) We are in a studio but plan to use the kitchenette a lot. I eat mostly low carb/keto but was planning on splurging at Disney. Well, DD27 got diagnosed with TN (a neurological disease) this year and has started eating keto to alleviate the terrible headaches and it is really helping her! She hasn't had an "episode" since she started eating this way so we are going to stick with keto for the trip and limit our "splurges."

Very happy that we are so close to Disney Springs now that we aren't doing parks. Thanks everyone who chimed in with suggestions for activities - we should find plenty to do! We will both have Movie Pass (where you can see a movie everyday for $9.99 a month), so we also plan to see a lot of movies at AMC too!

As someone mentioned, but best part about the dvc villas during marathon weekend is the laundry room, not the kitchen. Don't get me wrong; the kitchen is a plus as well to have your early morning meal just like you would back home. But being able to clean those stinky clothes helps on packing space and more importantly smell.

So a lower leg injury brought my training to a screeching halt. I had some pain in the inside of my lower leg a few inches above my ankle. I felt it during a short run a few days after a long run.
Just throwing this out there... take your thumb and start rubbing in the soft tissue just to the inside of your shin bone, working up from the point of pain to the knee. Find a tight, painful spot along the way? If so, slowly, gently start rubbing to work it out. I have this happen with some frequency thanks to our steeply cambered roads/sidewalks and while I feel the pain low, near my ankle, it's actually triggered by tightness further up the chain of soft tissue. That may or may not be the case for you, but worth checking!

Today’s Sundays are for Disney question:

Where are you staying for Marathon weekend?
Offsite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek - need that kitchen and washer/dryer!

Lots of people staying DVC/Villas! How many of you guys utilize your kitchen? Do you cook some of your preferred running meals to play it safe? Or do you eat out and enjoy a chore free vacation regardless?
I always make my own breakfasts, no matter where I stay on vacation. I'm offsite this trip but will have a full kitchen, and yep, I'll be making breakfast and dinner every day, and probably a few lunches, too. Disney food hates me and I'm not all that fond of it, either, lol!

Last edited:
@BuckeyeBama @PrincessV I love Bonnet Creek! We stayed there for W&D and used Uber and it was great! That is where we usually stay for our family vacations, too. I know it will feel so tight in a DVC studio after the roomy 1 bdrm at Bonnet Creek but we didn't want to rent a car or depend on Uber for all the Dopey races. But I envy you the pool/lazy river and the hot tubs. So relaxing!

Sunday question: I'll be at All Star Movies all by my lonesome...LOL. I didn't decide to do the marathon until late October, so that was all that was available and didn't cost me my first born or left arm.

As someone mentioned, but best part about the dvc villas during marathon weekend is the laundry room, not the kitchen. Don't get me wrong; the kitchen is a plus as well to have your early morning meal just like you would back home. But being able to clean those stinky clothes helps on packing space and more importantly smell.

I will agree with that! My husband sweats so much - that stuff needs to immediately be cleaned!

I’ve gone Friday afternoon and Saturday morning in the past. Normally I’d say either of those is a breeze. Last year I went Saturday at around noon and it was BANANAS. This was due to the half cancellation so hopefully that will never happen again (knock wood). But my memory says it took me an hour to fight traffic to get into WWoS.
Im not a huge shopper but I’ve always been able to find things in my size at both those times.

Sunday Question: Didn't decide to do the Marathon until September 30th, so was excited when I ended up with 2 nights at AKL-Jambo (1 at club level) and 3 nights at the Poly. After 25 years at OKW it will be fun to try something new!

Lots of people staying DVC/Villas! How many of you guys utilize your kitchen? Do you cook some of your preferred running meals to play it safe? Or do you eat out and enjoy a chore free vacation regardless?

Race morning, I will definitely be using the kitchenette to make my own breakfast and my own coffee. This trip will be different since we're in studios the whole time, but normally we're in a 1 bedroom and tend to make breakfast every morning of the trip. There's nothing nicer after finishing a race than getting back to the room and within 15 minutes having eggs, waffles (with real maple syrup), bacon, toast and coffee made from high quality ingredients.

Staying at WL BR, looks like only ones there right now. Am I missing something, is this not a good spot for race weekends? Was hoping for Boardwalk or Beach Club but those are tough to get for this weekend. Still stalking DVC page trying to find openings. One seller for WL was the post race feast at Whispering Canyon.

Sunday question: We’re at Beach Club! Excited about the proximity to Epcot and hoping it’ll be warm enough for a dip in the pool at some point.

Staying at WL BR, looks like only ones there right now. Am I missing something, is this not a good spot for race weekends? Was hoping for Boardwalk or Beach Club but those are tough to get for this weekend. Still stalking DVC page trying to find openings. One seller for WL was the post race feast at Whispering Canyon.
I haven’t stayed there but maybe since it’s not near the monorail or Epcot people don’t tend to stay there? I don’t think it would be my first choice for a race weekend but I think you’ll have a great time as it’s a great resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter