• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Yes, you can get out and get back in, but yes, it will be a challenge to make your way back up to the front. The corrals have historically been set up as a long rectangle of plastic fencing. The only entrance is on one side at the back of the rectangle. I will say that as an individual (as opposed to, say, a group of 3), I've never had a hard time working my way up in a corral, though I've never bothered trying to get all the way to the front. You just look for little openings, say "Excuse me!" with a smile and make your way forward.

Thanks for the response everyone. Good to know about the opening...I may just plan to hang out there. I would think H is where the party is so most people will be relaxed.

Thanks for the response everyone. Good to know about the opening...I may just plan to hang out there. I would think H is where the party is so most people will be relaxed.

I don't know if it will be the same, but at W&D weekend they did not let anyone walk physically into the corrals until one hour prior to the race start. So even though lots of people arrived by bus already, everyone was just hanging around outside of them. Plenty of time to go to the bathroom multiple times without fear that everyone will get into the corral before you. It seems like this was maybe a change as they kept announcing it as something "new" for that race to "allow people to enjoy the pre-race area" or something. I can't remember if this was actually a new thing or not.

Actually, if you think about it you may very well end up with an earlier start time and less people ahead of you. If my assumption is correct, which we'll find out in about a week, and they just combine two corrals to make one larger one.

View attachment 287567

Let's say your new POT would have gotten you corral F according to the 2017 corral system. Well my guess is that will equal corral C in 2018. But if you line up in the front of corral C in 2018, it's really like your lining up in Corral E of 2017. So in effect you move up even closer to the start.

Now if say your new corral was G in 2017 POT standards. Then in 2018 you'd be in D. As long as you line up at the front of D, then there's no change from 2017 corral system in terms of # people ahead of you or the time in which you start relative to the gun time.

The caveat is if you have a corral G (2017) and line up at the back of D (2018), then you're essentially slotting yourself one corral back in what was corral H (in 2017).

This is all based on my assumption of combining corrals from 2017 to 2018 (going from 16 to 8). If that assumption is wrong, then things might end up a bit different than I expect.

Yeah, and that's how I figured it too. Assuming your breakdown is pretty close and if I would have been in G and now am in D, I would need to likely be at the front of the corral to get the gains I would have with the old system. And the last couple of races, we have hung to the back of the corral to avoid the rush of people out of the gate, but like I said, whatever really. I can't control these changes, so we'll just adapt and focus on being at Disney and enjoying the races!

Also, my magic bands arrived today. YAY!!!

Also, didn't see if anyone else posted it, but it looks like bib pickup at the expo has been broken up even more:

HP Field House = Goofy and Dopey bib and shirt pickup
Champion Stadium = 5k, 10k, and Kids bib and shirt pickup
Visa Athletic Center = HM and M bib and shirt pickup

So since I have kidos(under 18) in the 5K, 10K, & HM plus me Dopey it appears I will have to visit every building. Does anyone know what the best time would be to go to expo to possibly cut down on line waiting. Normally would divide and conquer with DH but just now found out his schedule has changed and he won't be able to go with us.

So since I have kidos(under 18) in the 5K, 10K, & HM plus me Dopey it appears I will have to visit every building. Does anyone know what the best time would be to go to expo to possibly cut down on line waiting. Normally would divide and conquer with DH but just now found out his schedule has changed and he won't be able to go with us.

Since a Dopey you'll have to go on Wednesday (opens at noon for runners without race retreat). I think going in the afternoon, like after 3pm, should cut down on lines tremendously. There may be some risk in some merch being sold out, but hard to say for sure whether something will or won't.

Since a Dopey you'll have to go on Wednesday (opens at noon for runners without race retreat). I think going in the afternoon, like after 3pm, should cut down on lines tremendously. There may be some risk in some merch being sold out, but hard to say for sure whether something will or won't.

Thanks 3pm was what I was thinking too. Not to concerned on merch right now, just getting everyones bibs at this point.

Also, didn't see if anyone else posted it, but it looks like bib pickup at the expo has been broken up even more:

So stupid question #1: For Dopey do you just go to the Dopey stand? As in, will they give your your two bibs and six shirts or do you have to go round and get all the shirts from six different places.

#2: For my party we are signed up for Dopey, a half and a 10k, race retreat and Chear Squad. Is it best to go round in a particular order? We plan to be there close to 10, get in and out asap .

So stupid question #1: For Dopey do you just go to the Dopey stand? As in, will they give your your two bibs and six shirts or do you have to go round and get all the shirts from six different places.

#2: For my party we are signed up for Dopey, a half and a 10k, race retreat and Chear Squad. Is it best to go round in a particular order? We plan to be there close to 10, get in and out asap .
I wouldn’t call it a stupid question... I’m not sure anything explained it.

You go get your bib first (for whatever race), and for Dopey, they will take your picture right after you get your bib. Then you will go to another table/area. They will look at your bib, and hand you a bag that has all shirts in it for Dopey. The bag is also your gear check bag.

I’ve kind of been debating on order myself, but hopefully it won’t be too crowded at 10.

does anyone know how you know how its determined which day the kids races happen... looks like both races happen on friday and saturday if I'm reading this right?

It'll depend on the corral breakdown from a bib# standpoint. Since the HM/M went from 16 corrals (A to P) to 8 corrals (A to H), I anticipate that they just combined them in sets of two. So, corral A had 500 in the 2017 WDW weekend. Now corral A 2018 will simply be A and B 2017 combined (500+500). I then evaluated the 2017 corrals based on the bib# makeup, the timing, and thus the rate of bibs per minute at different times during the start:

View attachment 287542

I'll use this information to come up with a time estimate on each corral release. The assumption will be the start time and end time of the corral release will remain the same (assuming the same # of bibs as well). I'll then request whether a person intends on lining up at the Front, Middle, or Back of the corral. I'll break down each corral into mini-waves of 1/4, and then use that to come up with the estimated start time. It should end up being within +/- 5 min if my assumptions end up being correct.

As for Dopey bib = 5k/10k corral assignment. I was attempting to decipher the 5k/10k breakdown to help determine corral assignment. My guess is the Dopey assignment is dependent on the # of 5k/10k solo bibs running at certain paces. But it seems the breakdown would be roughly:

View attachment 287543

Or someone who has a POT for Dopey that equals a 5k pace of 9:00 or less is likely to end up in corral A. Someone with a Dopey POT (or estimate) that equates to a 5k pace of 11-12 would be likely around corral D. Not a guarantee, but an educated guess when it comes to making timing estimations.

Looks like they have two runners relations as well:

HP Field House = 5k, 10k, Kids, Dopey, and Goofy
Visa Athletic Center = HM and M

runDisney merchandise is located in the HP Field House. It is not specifically mentioned in the Visa Athletic Center.

My head literally exploded and now I’m dead. RIP Keels. Cause: Math.

Looks like they have two runners relations as well:

HP Field House = 5k, 10k, Kids, Dopey, and Goofy
Visa Athletic Center = HM and M

runDisney merchandise is located in the HP Field House. It is not specifically mentioned in the Visa Athletic Center.
Sounds like the changes they made for Wine and Dine pick up worked and are making those same changes to Marathon Weekend.

For the merchandise people it seemed having everything together worked much better than having it separate.

LOL (at myself). I am the opposite.

I get tired of marathon advertising material (not just Disney), where everyone is happy, care-free, and getting 3 feet of air in a picture.

I'd rather see tired, grumpy, sweaty, near-death people with a look of confusion on their face. I can provide lots of pictures if they need them.

I'd rather see some of these pics too. Like the guy I saw in the marathon that took a small sip of water and through the mostly full cup right back at the volunteers.
This board is full of the worst people... :rotfl:
Yeah I'm not making it into the cheerful photo portfolio. Maybe up to mile 13 or so.
Last year, my costume was a running version of Giselle's curtain dress from Enchanted. Nobody on the course recognized who my costume was supposed to be. Then, at like mile 20, when I was suffering with what felt like an ice pick jammed into my knee, and I didn't know how I would go on, this extremely sweet runner saw me and said, "Oh my gosh! Giselle! She's my favorite! I love your costume!!!" And I just couldn't respond like I wanted to because I was, as you said, grumpy, sweaty, and near-death. If you're out there, lady who appreciated my costume, I'm sorry and I am so thankful you knew who I was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter