Marathon Weekend 2018

Thanks everyone for the advice and the encouragement. I really like the idea of imagining where I'll be during the actual marathon. I think that will help. I'll also try slowing down a little and worry about one mile at a time as suggested.

I am most excited just to see how far I've come since the start of 2017. 11 months ago I could hardly run a 5k without feeling like dying. And before June, the furthest I ever ran was 4 miles. Now I am running a freaking marathon, and just recently crushed 16, 18, and 20 mile training runs. I could have never dreamed of the progress I've made in just 12 months' time.

Does anyone have a lightweight to mid-weight wind/rain shell running jacket that you can recommend? I'm trying to plan ahead for all possible weather conditions.

I've googled and shopped ... seems many are water resistant but not waterproof, and if they're waterproof they're not breathable. I don't even know if waterproof is possible in a breathable, running jacket? Or what would be best. And reading online reviews sent me down a rabbit hole of negativity and confusion.

So at this point I'd love your recommendations if you have any! :sunny:
My experience is as a Floridan, so this likely won't apply to other climates! I don't use anything specific for rain when the temp is about 55* or higher: if it's that warm, I'm going to sweat, and sweating inside the rain jacket isn't any drier than just getting wet by rain. I did 12 miles the other day in 58*, windy, and a light rain - I wore a tech jacket (so, slightly thicker material than a shirt, but not in any way water resistant) over a thin, ventilated long sleeve shirt, and took the jacket off after 2 miles. Just got wet but was warm enough. I have worn a water-resistant jacket in temps below 55* with heavy rain: I still sweat inside, but the extra layer was a welcome bit of extra warmth. Mine is an old Columbia shell: nothing more than a light nylon jacket. I just bought a water-resistant "breathable" jacket form target, the C9 brand, for non-running and wore it out and about the other day after my run - it did a good job of blocking a cold wind and kept me dry. I can't speak to its supposed breathability because I was freezing and not running, lol!

Sunday Disney Question: (in no particular order)
1. My first Dopey!
2. The 5k & 10k - I have never done those courses.
3. Doing the 5k, 10k and half with my DD28.
4. Crossing the finish line with my Italian Frozen Margarita from Italy. Not doing parks this trip so this is my only opportunity to have one this trip!:drinking:
5. Being done with training- I am a bit burned out from running 6 days a week!
6. My first DVC stay.
7. Meeting all you wonderful people! :)

Not excited about:
1. 5 early wake ups (early flight on Wednesday)
2. No Caramel Corn from Germany this trip since no park tickets :sad2:

Sunday's Question:

I am most excited for the following in no particular order:
1. Daylight & Sunshine
2. Running first 3 legs of Dopey with my kids(awesome to ready so many running with family too)
3. Completing first Marathon & Dopey
4. The Bling!!
5. Meeting other runners and seeing the costume creativity
6. Pandora
7. Being on vacation!!

Does anyone have a lightweight to mid-weight wind/rain shell running jacket that you can recommend? I'm trying to plan ahead for all possible weather conditions.

I've googled and shopped ... seems many are water resistant but not waterproof, and if they're waterproof they're not breathable. I don't even know if waterproof is possible in a breathable, running jacket? Or what would be best. And reading online reviews sent me down a rabbit hole of negativity and confusion.

Northface Hyperair
It's a bit spendy, and North Face zippers generally are garbage, but it does everything you describe and they stand by their product.

@Keels do you happen to know whether the race retreat is transferable or tied to a specific name? I am primarily concerned with tent access to give me one less thing to stress about before my first marathon (don't need early expo) - maybe we could work something out! I'd be happy to pay the full race retreat price.

Unfortunately, if it's like the last two years the person that purchases it gets a wristband to identify that they've purchased Race Retreat.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a spreadsheet for this! :teacher: But this helps tremendously!!! This was the next thing I was adding to my ETAs.

I'm trying to work out where my support team should be to catch me!:teleport:

Hooray spreadsheets! Happy to meet another spreadsheet fan! As far as running goes, I've got more spreadsheets than I probably should... :D Ahh, what am I kidding? I could always come up with new ideas and things to track!

@DopeyBadger ...just curious for the 10k viewing...will spectators be able to go INTO EPCOT that early? She has an AP and signed up for the ChEAR Squad. Specifically for 3.5 [Enter EPCOT] then maybe 5.9 [Spaceship Earth].

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe EPCOT opens until 9am on the Friday of the 10k. The balloon ladies are projected to cross the finish line at 8:00am. So having an AP won't help gain access to viewing inside EPCOT during the 10k because it's not open yet. In addition, the ChEAR squad is only for the HM/M (outside of some exclusive seating at the finish line, I believe) so that won't help inside viewing either during the 10k.

Speaking of meetups, can someone remind me when the schedule Dis meetup is?

It's on Friday, January 5th at 2pm at Hurricane Hannah's. The other scheduled meet ups are pre/post race and DATW on Monday, January 8th.

I bought this one at Nike when it was on sale https://www.nike.com/t/impossibly-light-womens-running-jacket-OnTrAmJV/831546-010

It is extremely light and packable but not sure if it’s 100 percent waterproof. It has elastic thingy so can wear around waist. My whole thing is if I’m going to be out there for 5 1/2-6 1/2 hours plus another 1 1/2 -2 hrs prior to starting then I want to be comfortable if it looks like a storm could pop up.

In other marathon weekend news, I booked my hotel for the night before my flight. I live an hour from the airport and want to make sure I am within 1 mile of the airport for the night when I have early morning flights! That way if there are any hiccups (weather or vehicle related) I am close enough to taxi and DH can deal with the hiccup and I don't miss my flight!

Also, this week is supposed to be unseasonably warm here so it is officially "Marathon Weekend costume testing week!" Today is Donald Duck. :) Hopefully I will be giving my co workers something to talk about, besides why I walk so much when I am supposedly a "runner." :rolleyes1

I recently went through a pretty exhaustive search for a light weight running jacket that was water and wind resistant. Here's what I settled on:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/clothing-mens/running-jacket/outdoor-research-boost

So far, so good. Have only had to use it a few times, but it's performed well and packs down to a very small bundle when not in use.

Most excited about:

-Finishing Dopey obviously, and all the bling that comes with it!
-Trying out some new restaurants (Beaches n Cream, The Boathouse, Trattoria al Forno)
-Taking the parks a little easier than normal. We usually go nonstop in the parks so I'm looking forward to a more relaxed trip. We still have Fastpasses and plan on park time each day but won't be constantly on the go. We were just there in November so that helps us fill like we don't have to get everything in on this trip.
-Hopefully seeing Happily Ever After. We love it so much so hopefully it works in our plans/my bedtime!
-Just experiencing Marathon Weekend in general. I did the Wine & Dine 10k and had a blast so I'm so excited to do it all on an even larger scale!

Catching up after the weekend, and I love seeing all of the pictures in the snow :thumbsup2 Meanwhile, I did 10 miles on Friday and 20 on Saturday in shorts and short sleeves...in Colorado :eek: Starting to worry about our Christmas ski trip...

Here's a handy list of current EMH for Marathon Weekend, if anyone was trying to plan for spectators or walking back through Epcot to a Epcot Resort, or if you want to go straight to a park:

W: MK - 12 a.m. - 2 a.m.
Th: EP 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.
F: MK 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.
Sa: AK 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.
Su: HS 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.
M: EP 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.

@JeffW DD28 moved to NC from Colorado last year and she fell in the ice this morning walking her dog! Her text to me was "I moved away from Colorado to get away from this!"

My Sunday question answer: I am beyond excited for some fun! I've got two girls trips rolled into one (spending Friday through Tuesday with a friend who is running the half, then spending Tuesday-Thursday with two other friends who just decided to go to Disney). I don't want to think about what to make for supper, doing laundry, driving kids around, work, etc. for six whole days!

And answer part two: I am ready to see my plan in action. I'm doing goofy, will be my third marathon, first challenge with a full. I'm trying Galloway for the first time, decided to really embrace it, did the customized training and all. And so far it's been going well! I couldn't believe how strong I felt after my long runs. So I'm ready to get the show on the road to see how the plan comes together.

And add me to the list of staying at Caribbean Beach.

I am attempting to get out of my weekend sulk over missing the Kiawah Island half. We had a somewhat unexpected snowstorm on Friday, and my running friends and I decided the roads were too bad to travel (plus they offered free deferment and we could cancel our place). But I really had been looking forward to that event/weekend and it seriously put me in a foul mood for three days (so I ate like crap and worked out just one day out of three, well below my norm). I've also been sulking that I'm on medical hold at crossfit for two weeks trying to rest my golfers elbow. Anyone else ever throw a mental tantrum over their exercise choices not going as planned? I'm trying to fake it today -- back to decent food choices, signed up for a two week gym trial so I could have access to a treadmill, going to start packing for January. Getting back on my training schedule tomorrow should help too. Just down though.

@JeffW DD28 moved to NC from Colorado last year and she fell in the ice this morning walking her dog! Her text to me was "I moved away from Colorado to get away from this!"
No kidding, I've only used my shovel once so far this year, and that wasn't as much as the South got this weekend. No need for heat acclimation training for me this year!

Hi all! I have been lurking for awhile but decided to join in. I have been getting excited while reading all of your posts. I have run several Disney races (2 princess, 1 marathon, 3 goofy) but this will be my first Dopey. Couldn't pass up the anniversaries for Dopey and the Marathon. My training has not been where I want it to be so little bummed about that but I am still excited and looking forward to this. My sister will be running the half with me. We are staying at Caribbean Beach.

I have never run with a rain jacket on. If it is warm, a rain jacket only makes matters worse. If the temps are between 30-40 degrees it can be dicey, but only for really long runs. Anything short of 15 miles and I would just run in my normal gear. If I had a marathon scheduled for a day like that (30-40 degrees with steady rain) I would cancel and stay at home (or in my resort). Nothing would be worth that type of misery and risk of hypothermia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter