Marathon Weekend 2018

After having done this a few times with my family, my advice would be to have the family meet you later rather than flying down with you. They really are not going to be able to cheer for you during the 5k and 10k races unless they are real early birds. And wanting them to get up that early to cheer for you 4 days in a row is crazy. They might choose to do it, but then everyone is going to be over-tired. Sure, you can do the parks all day long on those days, but then your running for the longer races will suffer. Balancing WDW and family can be really fun, but you will need to get to bed a lot earlier than them (if not for the mileage, for the early race starts).

Our plan for future Dopey weekends is to have the family meet me sometime during the race weekend, and our family vacation begins then. They can cheer for me during the Marathon, when I need them the most. And the crowds really die down afterward, so we get the added advantage that comes along with that. I get to balance out my running self with my Disney self and my family obligations.

At any rate, think about what your family will want and expect from you during a WDW vacation. For some, splitting up is not a big deal. For others, it kills the family vibe.

Very good points! To be clear, I have no expectations of my family getting up to watch me run that early - especially for a 5k or 10k. I’d much rather they sleep in. Maybe they’ll catch me at AK and the finish line for the marathon.

I can certainly add that! Do you happen to know the time the bars open in AK and EPCOT? If there are different opening times for different bars in EPCOT I can accommodate that as well.

Thirsty River officially opens with the rest of AK (although I've seen it open later). But it opened way early last year for the runners (maybe 7:30ish), and one of the CMs working there recently said that could be possible this year as well.

FWIW, the concession stand in the stadium at WWOS was not selling beer last year :sad2:

Problem:

9 of us from our family will be running races in a few weeks. One of us didn’t complete the registration and didn’t realize until tonight. We need to get our hands on a half bib. Anyone with some great ideas? I know the odds but I’m just throwing it out there! Trying to make a Xmas wish come through.

Just saw a post from Homes For Our Troop on the Facebook RunDisneyRun Marketplace group that they have had some bibs (including half marathon) come available.

Thirsty River officially opens with the rest of AK (although I've seen it open later). But it opened way early last year for the runners (maybe 7:30ish), and one of the CMs working there recently said that could be possible this year as well.

FWIW, the concession stand in the stadium at WWOS was not selling beer last year :sad2:

Les Halles in France serves booze at 9 ... everything else is at 11 or just before.

Thanks! I'll add Thirsty River at 13.0 miles at 7:30am, Les Halles at 25.1 miles at 9:00am and other EPCOT alcohol at 11am.

Joffrey’s carts in Epcot (there’s one right as you’re leaving World Showcase into Future World) open with the rest of the park and usually have a signature frozen cocktail of some sort. I got one during Dark Side Half. :thumbsup2

Joffrey’s carts in Epcot (there’s one right as you’re leaving World Showcase into Future World) open with the rest of the park and usually have a signature frozen cocktail of some sort. I got one during Dark Side Half. :thumbsup2

So you're saying this one would be open at 9am as well?

I found my preferred time for my Via Napoli dinner on January 5th so I am going to be cancelling my old one. Its for 3 people at 3:50pm. If anyone is interested let me know and I will try to coordinate.

Sorry if this is not acceptable on this page. Just trying to help someone out looking for their pre-half marathon carb load.

Anyone have any guesses as to when the waivers will release? I can hardly wait to see what corral I'm in (although with fewer corrals it may not be as important this year).

Last year I think they put the waivers out on December 16th (a Friday), so I hope that means this Friday they will be ready!

The bartender at Thirsty River confirmed she will be serving again this year starting at 730.

Was that on FB? I think I was in on that conversation too.

Last year's early opening screwed up my plan to be the first person on course to buy a beer. I expect to make up for that this year.

Problem:

9 of us from our family will be running races in a few weeks. One of us didn’t complete the registration and didn’t realize until tonight. We need to get our hands on a half bib. Anyone with some great ideas? I know the odds but I’m just throwing it out there! Trying to make a Xmas wish come through.

Team Homes For Our Troops has a 5k, 10k, half and goofy bib available if you are still looking. you can link to them through the RunDisney site.

Ah so the waiver actually says 2018 but the registrations received is still last year, so close!

I think we're still on schedule to be around the same pace. Around a 3:10-3:30 (weather dependent)?

Yeh - those times pretty much encompass a good day and bad day for me :)

If I were to bet I'd say I'm most likely to run a comfortable 3:20 or so. 3:10 would be amazing. It's a marathon, there's so much that can go wrong, especially in Florida in January and especially in the middle of a family holiday :) So I'll have no problem finishing a lot slower and enjoying the run. We'll see about being at the same pace - your training is a lot better than mine, though I should have fresher legs going into the marathon :)

G will be doing the Kids race as well (100m) on Friday. @kywyldcat03 will be there too!

I'll look out for you too then so!

Other than hoping for vague recognition from my Strava profile, I'll wear something a Ireland/Dublin related t-shirt to the kids races - look out for a tall parent wearing a Dublin City Marathon t-shirt :)

We're at BOG for lunch as well at 1:35pm on Monday!

Great minds think alike... We're in at 1:00pm - if somehow we don't meet up during the marathon or for the kids races, I'll see you there ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter