Marathon Weekend 2018

Im taking thrwaways for sure. Dollar Tree is a great place to stock up on gloves and arm warmers. I buy a couple pairs of mens dress socks and cut a hole in the foot so they work just the same. By 6 am I'll be in shorts and a singlet if it's over 30 degrees but I'd rather be hot from 4:30am-5:30 am than shivering

A quick spectator question...

My wife is planning on trying to see me at a couple different places on the Marathon course. If she sees me run by in the Magic Kingdom area will there be buses running that would get her to Animal Kingdom to see me there? I am in corral A and am likely going to be running a 4:15-4:30 pace due to dealing with a recent injury.

If that plan won't work, does anyone have any suggestions as to how she could see me at least twice on the course (and then the finish)?

My wife is planning on trying to see me at a couple different places on the Marathon course. If she sees me run by in the Magic Kingdom area will there be buses running that would get her to Animal Kingdom to see me there? I am in corral A and am likely going to be running a 4:15-4:30 pace due to dealing with a recent injury.

If that plan won't work, does anyone have any suggestions as to how she could see me at least twice on the course (and then the finish)?
As far as I know a bus to AK from MK will only be running for normal park bus hours. But breakfasts start at 8:00am so buses from resorts will start around 7:00ish, which might be too late for her to see you, not sure. Quickest would be to walk to Contemporary after seeing you at MK& catch it's AK bus.

She could monorail back to Epcot after MK & if the parks open walk over to the Yacht/Beach to watch you or just see you in Epcot. Or She could go back to her resort or walk to Contemporary & catch a bus to Studios when they start and see you either in the park or in the bus area as we run by to head to Epcot. Maybe if it looks like the bus to AK would be too late to see you, have her do the Studios bus instead, just ideas.

Last edited:

I don't think the AK viewing plan will work. Your corral and pace estimate will have you at AK around 7:45 AM. AK opens at 9:00 AM. Not to mention that I don't think park-to-park buses would begin running until 8:15ish, if that. I would suggest transportation back to one of the Epcot resorts and have her see you around mile 24.5 at the YC/BC [Around 9:15 - 9:30 AM].

Uber might be a possibility. Hopefully someone else will chime in if the road closures affect that plan.

Otherwise, I agree that you're going to be too early to rely on the busses. If it were a little later, she could walk to the Contemporary and catch their bus to AK, which should be running earlier than park to park busses.

I think that the Minnie Van drivers would know all of the alternative routes to get people to places faster than the Uber or Lyft drivers.

When I was a spectator I never tried to get to other places for the marathon course.

Staying at the Poly, my family would watch me run by the back entrance to the Poly, then later take the bus to Hollywood Studios and watch me run by. The course goes right by the bus stop. They did this 2 years ago when I started in the C corral and ran a 3:56, so the timing should work for you.

I understand those that feel they have been staged in the wrong corral but I feel they may be instilling undue worry in WDW running rookies.
If you are the 25,001th runner to cross the START LINE, that doesn't mean you have to worry about 25,000 runners in your way.
(Unless of course you are the Brazilian dude that usually wins.)

The reality is that you have so many runners doing their own thing, any time during the race may turn out to be an ideal window.
You have folks trying to PR, those that stop at every photo op, ride rides, drink beer, visit with family spectating, run/walking, etc.

Unless you leave at the front of corral A, (Spoiler alert*) you will literally have thousands of people in front of you the whole race!
The good news? They are spread over 26 miles!

I have started from C corral to the last corral and in between and haven't had a bad, or overcrowded run at any time.
I actually started next to dead last one year.
During the ice bowl of 2010, you could basically choose your corral since the volunteers were more concerned with hypothermia.

One advantage of a faster runner leaving a slower corral is the speed difference, especially in the first couple of miles.
If you have a large pack of runners and the ones in front of you are moving just slightly slower than your ideal pace, you have to make a decision.
"Should I pass or chill for a bit?" Whereas, if you are much faster you simply pass them.

One of the more interesting things is the way you tend to leap-frog runners and then they leap-frog you.
They stop for pics and you don't or you run/walk, it happens that you see many of the same folks for many miles.

The true bottlenecks are cone alley after MK and before Grand Floridian is the one I hate the most.
Second place belongs to the tiny sidewalk outside of AK. Groan!
These spots will likely be packed regardless of your corral.

As for the character stops, I believe they police themselves. If they are too crowded many people just run by.
For most runners there are one or two "must stops," otherwise get them next year.
I really appreciate those that are sharing these perspectives. There have been many of you, and it has eased my worries about starting in H. I am beyond excited to run this race, and I just feel like I need to keep pinching myself that I get to have this experience!

Marathon Weekend DIS List FORM
Race - Dopey
Name (optional) - Ed
DIS Name - SunDial
Costume - none
Corral - No idea yet.
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - Yes as long as the buses move efficiently.
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Varies
Expected Pace - around 13:30 for 5K, 10K and Half. Around 11:45 for the full.

What is your Dopey corral or where does your Dopey bib fall based on my guess in the original Form post? That will help me guess at your 5k/10k corral and finish off your timing predictions.

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 10.35.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 10.36.15 AM.png

If I shoot for the middle of your range (4:22 marathon), then you're at AK exit at 7:57am. This is likely too early for the Disney bus transportation since the park opens at 9am, this would be roughly 8:15am. There might be transportation for breakfast at Tusker House from the Contemporary (based on this website) as early as 7:15am but I can't confirm the validity of this. I'm far from a Disney pro.

I'm with you there. 10 today in 25 degree weather. I'm not a heat person, so I'm more worried about the heat!!

I'm totally the opposite. This fall I was training in 90s when the sun went down, and got so adjusted that 50s was cold for me last weekend, and I actually had a thin pullover (Which I tied around my waist by midmorning 60s).

@DopeyBadger

As mentioned earlier, Dopey is now iffy for me. For now, acting like it's going to happen.

Speaking of the 'iffy' part, thank you everyone for the comforting posts. I appreciate them all and they do help.

Race - 5k
Name - David
DIS Name - OldSlowGoofyGuy (really want to change this to RocketMan)
Costume - none
Corral - B+ (assuming same as half/full or better) bib is 2112#
Planning to attend the Pre Race Meet-up - no*
Front, Middle or Back of the corral - front
Expected Pace - 8 min/mile

Race - 10k
Name - David
DIS Name - OldSlowGoofyGuy
Costume - none
Corral - B+ (assuming same as half/full or better) bib is 2112#
Planning to attend the Pre Race Meet-up - yes
Front, Middle or Back of the corral - front
Expected Pace - 9 min/mile

Race - Half Marathon
Name - David
Costume - none
Corral - B
Front, Middle or Back of the corral - back
Expected Pace - 10 min/mile

Race - Marathon
Name - David
Costume - none
Corral - B
Front, Middle or Back of the corral - back
Expected Pace - 10:30-11:00 min/mile

*starting/running with family members. may stop by to say hi.

What is your Dopey corral or where does your Dopey bib fall based on my guess in the original Form post? That will help me guess at your 5k/10k corral and finish off your timing predictions.

I printed my waiver and i am in "G"

I am happy with that corral since i didn't put a in POT. I also think that it was a fair placement. My goal was to be under 5 hours. When my sister was in her early 40's she ran a 4:56 marathon in Texas. I wanted to beat that at age 58. OK maybe just a little bit of competition there. :lmao: Running it on the back end of Dopey and not all of the training i should have done, a sub 5 hour is not realistic. (possible though)

Regardless i am going to have a great time this weekend!!!

2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List v2017_12_16

Alright, attached you will find the current version of the 2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List! Please review your information for mistakes/errors. Also, please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. When I get more runners info, I'll update it again. Currently we have:

5k - 51 runners (37 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
10k - 53 runners (39 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
HM - 64 runners (39 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
M - 81 runners (63 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)

Excited to share the race course with you all!

Attachments

• 2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List v2017_12_16 #4.pdf
    951.7 KB · Views: 139
Late to the party!

Marathon Weekend DIS List FORM
Race - Marathon
Name (optional) - Jenn
DIS Name - TeeterTots
Costume - something that will match the bib and/or medal (I’m that OCD)
Corral - D, but jumping back with BFF in E
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meet-up? Eek, that’s early, maybe
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - back
Expected Pace - 10:47

Alright, attached you will find the current version of the 2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List! Please review your information for mistakes/errors. Also, please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. When I get more runners info, I'll update it again. Currently we have:

Wow thank you for all this! Amazing! Can't wait to be at the pre-race meetup.

Amazing! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter