Name - Cliff
DIS Name - croach
Costume - none
Corral - A
Planning to attend the Pre Race Meet-up - maybe
Front, Middle or Back of the corral - middle
Expected Pace - 8:30 min/mile

2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List v2017_12_16

Alright, attached you will find the current version of the 2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List! Please review your information for mistakes/errors. Also, please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. When I get more runners info, I'll update it again. Currently we have:

5k - 51 runners (37 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
10k - 53 runners (39 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
HM - 64 runners (39 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
M - 81 runners (63 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)

Excited to share the race course with you all!
Wow this is great, thanks for your work on it! I feel like this will be perfect to occupy me on the plane ride down!

SO late to the party. I blinked and this week flew by. I can't believe we are so close!! FWIW, I can confirm that the presence of characters are always rotating, but Disney will know exactly who is going to be out and where they are going to be out two weeks prior to the race. They don't release such coveted information, in case of any last minute changes, but for the most part, it's set in stone. ;)

Anyway @DopeyBadger here's all my info!

Marathon Weekend DIS List FORM
Race - 5k
Name (optional) - Jacqueline
DIS Name - jacks_x0 (regretting this artistically "creative" choice when I was 14)
Costume - TBD
Corral - B
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meet-up? Why of course
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Front
Expected Pace - between 8-8:30

Race - 10k
DIS Name - jacks_x0
Costume - TBD
Corral - B
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meet-up? Wouldn't miss it
Expected Pace - 8:30-9

Race - Half
DIS Name - jacks_x0
Costume - A chip and dale shirt I made for last year's half :rotfl2:
Corral - C
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meet-up? Yes, have to make up from last year!
Expected Pace - 9:00-9:30

Race - Full
DIS Name - jacks_x0
Costume - TBD
Corral - C
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meet-up? Duh (especially since @DopeyBadger, his mom and I were the last ones standing *freezing* before the full last year!)
Expected Pace - between 9:30-10:00

Dopey Sim is done - and I highly recommend it to anyone who may want to try out shoes or a fueling strategy. I learned so much about myself and what I need on race day just in the last 4 days.

1 - Comfy walking shoes for the 5k and 10k and my usual running shoes for the half and full

2 - My target race pace is doable. Today’s 20 miler was run about 10 seconds slower per mile and that was in between late hours of work and lack of sleep. I still feel like I had a lot in the tank and would have been good today after doing 3 long days on my feet.

3 - I need to be mindful of what I eat, when I eat, and how I eat. Definitely could have used a little more carb and less protein for todays run.

4 - I ended up crashing part of a local 5k Santa run while on my long run today. It’s important to be mindful of surroundings and remember courtesy for walk breaks. ;)

2.5 weeks to go. I think I’m ready... or about as ready as I will ever be.

Heading out for an 8 miler. It's 20 degrees with a wind chill to 10. If it's in the 80's on marathon Sunday, I'll be that little puddle of water you pass at mile 18. Say hello to me.
We will see your puddle and shout, “Hi, Olaf!”
I’m from the south and prefer 45-65 degrees for the races. Lower than 45 and I am too cold pre-race. Over 65 and I have to slow down, especially if it is humid.
That being said, I finished my last 20 miler today in Chattanooga, TN, while DH ran a race on Lookout Mountain. It was 24 degrees and miserable, but at least I didn’t have to stand around for two hours before I started! It took me 3:45, so even if I slow down for the last 6.2 of the marathon, I’ll be okay!

As I prepare for my 10th straight Marathon weekend, I'd like to share a few helpful tips with my fellow DIS runners. Some of these tips are generic and not specific to Disney, but let's pretend no other races exist - at least for the next 3 weeks.

Please share any tips you have and I'll add to the list; I'll post a PDF with all the posted tips next week.

Disney Marathon Tips
My Mickey Marathon History: 2011 (4:56), 2012 (4:21), 2013 (4:18), 2014 (3:56), 2015 (3:44), 2016 (DNF), 2017 (3:34)
  • Arrive early and relax/enjoy the moment! I love arriving around 3am and no later than 3:30am.
  • Use bathrooms *after* bag check have shorter lines; bathrooms near start line are even shorter
  • Prepare for a 2 hour wait; wear throw-away clothes for pre-race
  • Bring old shirt/towel for sitting on before race in corral; get off your feet and rest
  • If cold, black trash bags are awesome (especially in windy weather)
    • I bring an extra box and make many new friends on cold mornings 8^)
  • Do not over-dress; plan to discard clothes during race
  • If cold:
    • black trash bags are awesome (especially in windy weather)
      • I bring an extra box and make many new friends on cold mornings :teeth:
    • wear thin layers for racing; a jacket is probably over-dressing and will be wrapped around your waist after mile 10
    • attach bib to outer tank or short-sleeve shirt, so you can discard underneath layers
    • use arm sleeves from old socks (cut off toe end); discard when warm
    • bring hat or head-band/buff for ear warmer
    • bring cheap gloves
      • bought a few pairs for $10 from Home Depot
      • synthetic, semi-plasic gloves are more water-stop friendly; better than knit/cloth ones
  • do not over-hydrate morning of the race; hydrate the day before
    • FYI: during my 10 FMs and 25 HMs, no pit stops for me because I stop drinking about 3 hours pre-race
  • bring sunglasses; you will need them in second half
    • insure you sunglasses are semi-secured in the first half (with a headband,visor or hat); I dropped/broke a pair in mile 2 in 2014, and regretted it for the next 24 miles
  • do not weave around runners or start too fast. Repeat this over and over in first 5 miles.
  • REPEAT: do not start too fast. please check the race results from the last 10 years and notice that 80% start too fast -- and slow way, way down in second half.
  • watch for potholes around TTC
    • I rolled an ankle in a TTC pothole last year but survived.
    • In 2016, the 2015/2017 female winner (Giovanna Martins) sprained her ankle in a TTC pothole and did not finish the race.
  • watch for the trolley tracks in Magic Kingdom
  • bananas are awesome fuel (miles 12 and 19); experiment in training to test your GI tolerance
  • take both water and powerade at each water stop
  • don't mix-up vaseline and bio-freeze at medical tents; chafed areas won't like bio-freeze :rolleyes1
  • prepare for the Sport Beans® Energizing Jelly Beans® selection at mile 15.9 and 20.1
    • Use them in training to see if you like them
    • I definitely need to follow my advice as I've never had them before
  • plan ahead for your chocolate selection at mile 23 in DHS
    • i grabbed Mint Peanut M&M's last year; sounds good, but tasted weird
  • Miles 15 and 16: Osceola Parkway may seem hilly, but the inclines are less than a half-mile each.
  • Mile 18: WWoS has cool/cold towels but they are very wet; you can soak your shoes, so take care when squeezing them
  • Mile 22 marker: use the downhill ramp to help you build momentum into DHS (small mental boost, but it works for me)
  • Mile 25: take care on the wooden boardwalk which may be slippery
  • Mile 26: treat the lap around World Showcase as your victory lap
  • Mile 26 marker: wave to the Golden Choir and then to the crowd
  • Finish line: always smile for the camera and raise your hands on a great accomplishment!
:earsboy:

Last edited:
My drinking
Did you all see the picture runDisney posted of the start line for the first WDW marathon? So many short shorts! And then one person in the middle with a full body suit.

That’s still Normal nowadays too at many races

I understand those that feel they have been staged in the wrong corral but I feel they may be instilling undue worry in WDW running rookies.
If you are the 25,001th runner to cross the START LINE, that doesn't mean you have to worry about 25,000 runners in your way.
(Unless of course you are the Brazilian dude that usually wins.)

The reality is that you have so many runners doing their own thing, any time during the race may turn out to be an ideal window.
You have folks trying to PR, those that stop at every photo op, ride rides, drink beer, visit with family spectating, run/walking, etc.

Unless you leave at the front of corral A, (Spoiler alert*) you will literally have thousands of people in front of you the whole race!
The good news? They are spread over 26 miles!

I have started from C corral to the last corral and in between and haven't had a bad, or overcrowded run at any time.
I actually started next to dead last one year.
During the ice bowl of 2010, you could basically choose your corral since the volunteers were more concerned with hypothermia.

One advantage of a faster runner leaving a slower corral is the speed difference, especially in the first couple of miles.
If you have a large pack of runners and the ones in front of you are moving just slightly slower than your ideal pace, you have to make a decision.
"Should I pass or chill for a bit?" Whereas, if you are much faster you simply pass them.

One of the more interesting things is the way you tend to leap-frog runners and then they leap-frog you.
They stop for pics and you don't or you run/walk, it happens that you see many of the same folks for many miles.

The true bottlenecks are cone alley after MK and before Grand Floridian is the one I hate the most.
Second place belongs to the tiny sidewalk outside of AK. Groan!
These spots will likely be packed regardless of your corral.

As for the character stops, I believe they police themselves. If they are too crowded many people just run by.
For most runners there are one or two "must stops," otherwise get them next year.

Thanks for posting this.
Im taking thrwaways for sure. Dollar Tree is a great place to stock up on gloves and arm warmers. I buy a couple pairs of mens dress socks and cut a hole in the foot so they work just the same. By 6 am I'll be in shorts and a singlet if it's over 30 degrees but I'd rather be hot from 4:30am-5:30 am than shivering
that's a good tip. We also find that the hunting handwarmers work great. they usually stay warm for about 7 hours. I find they take a while to warm up so I usually opne them in the hotel room before I leave.

2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List v2017_12_16

Alright, attached you will find the current version of the 2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List! Please review your information for mistakes/errors. Also, please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. When I get more runners info, I'll update it again. Currently we have:

5k - 51 runners (37 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
10k - 53 runners (39 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
HM - 64 runners (39 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
M - 81 runners (63 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)

Excited to share the race course with you all!
Wow thanks for this!

Race - 5K
Name -
DIS Name - girlwithmickeytattoo (I’m using this one because my other would reveal my entire name, didn’t want someone to steal my race bib!)
Costume - Cruella
Corral - ?
Planning to attend the Pre Race Meet-up -yes!!
Front, Middle or Back of the corral - goal is middle
Expected Pace - 13:00 min/mile

Race - 10K
Name -
DIS Name - girlwithmickeytattoo
Costume - either Alice inWonderland or Lilo.
Corral - ?
Planning to attend the Pre Race Meet-up - yes!
Front, Middle or Back of the corral - middle
Expected Pace - 13:00 min/mile

Did you all see the picture runDisney posted of the start line for the first WDW marathon? So many short shorts! And then one person in the middle with a full body suit.

So ... which one is your outfit for the full?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter