Marathon Weekend 2018

So, here we are now two weeks to go! So how do your goals from February compare now to your goals with only days remaining?

Same goals. 4 of us flying down on 1/5 to join my daughter (finishing up her stint working at Disney) and then all 5 of us will start the marathon on 1/7. It will be my 6th marathon (3rd wdw) and the first for all the others. My wife and I will run together. I think my son and his wife will run together. No clue who my daughter will run with or if she decides to go solo. She's probably trained the least but I suppose the "silver lining" is no injuries. :scratchin Everyone else (but me) has had some problems with injuries during training... but my wife seems to be as healthy as she's been so hopefully things work out for her in this race.

Just hoping for some good weather and for everyone to have a good time.

My goals are the same.
Not to be sick (I mean I still could get sick I guess...but I've been there done that x2 so would rather not).
Some character stops is still in the plan.
and Under 5 hrs...my training has been good so this should be reachable unless a curveball hits me.

Weather stalking is fun right, or stressful, I haven't decided, but stalking both here & there as well.

Well the trip has changed for me. Way back in February it was going to be just me and my mom. Sole focus on running. But since then, Steph and G were able to also join so now it's more like the years prior being a family vacation to Disney first, running second.

1) Sextuple PR Challenge. In my 4 previous Dopey runs (3 as non-first attempts), I have yet to accomplish the Sextuple PR Challenge. Since this may be the last try, I'm giving it everything I got. I'm looking for a lifetime PR at 5k, 10k, HM, M, Goofy, and Dopey all as non-first time attempts at these distances. I'd say that a PR at 5k, 10k, HM, Goofy, and Dopey are all likely at this point. The marathon is going to be really tough. I'd say the odds overall are 50/50 at best.
2) 5k - Sub 19 minutes A PR, yes, but sub-19, not so sure. A 5k is always super tough and variable for me.
3) 10k - Sub 40 minutes Much more likely to occur if I've got the ducks in a row. Maybe 80% chance.
4) HM - Sub 1:30 Again, feeling confident about this one. Maybe 90% chance.
5) M - Sub 3:00 This one is very likely not to occur. Didn't make the necessary gains to get this one close at all. I'd say 0.017% chance.
6) Dopey - Sub 5:30 Without the sub-3 marathon, this one is nearly impossible for me. I'd say 0.013% chance.
7) Finish in the Top 10 of the Dopey Challenge when evaluated by cumulative time. Without the sub-3 marathon, this one is nearly impossible for me. I'd say 0.008% chance. Top 30 is more likely.
8) Successfully meet as many DIS'ers pre/post/during races as possible Hoping this is near 100% chance.
9) Coach as many runners through the Marathon Weekend races as that'll honor me with that opportunity I've got 22 runners toeing the line Marathon Weekend.
10) Cheer my mom though her first Dopey Challenge at age 61 She's still on track. Last I heard she's hoping for a Top 5 AG (F 60-65) Dopey cumulative time. We shall see!
11) Most importantly - Beat the Rocket Scientist :thumbsup2 Maybe "See the Rocket Scientist" would be a good change!

My goal was to finish Dopey. Based on all the training I’ve done since February that should not be an issue. Waiting to see what the weather forecast for Sunday ends up being before I decide on realistic goals for the marathon.

Sorry, @bananabean, for your loss. I know the feeling of just wanting to stay in bed, but I am glad you are planning to keep on going. Best wishes to you and your family.

@DopeyBadger Thanks for all your spreadsheet work. Looking forward to seeing you again this year. I hope I can talke to your mother too! I think we have sons about the same age. LOL

2018 Marathon Weekend DIS Goals from February

Well since we're less than two weeks from the start of the 2018 Marathon Weekend I thought it would be as good a time as ever to dig this up! So way back on February 15th, 2017 (right after registration day) I posed the questions as to what your Marathon Weekend Goals are:

So, here we are now two weeks to go! So how do your goals from February compare now to your goals with only days remaining?

@PrincessV @mbwhitti @FelisLachesis @rteetz @camaker @Barca33Runner @jeanigor @Simba's Girl @ZellyB @mslezalie @TeeterTots @michigandergirl @bryana @Z-Knight @BuckeyeBama @baxter24 @GollyGadget @kywyldcat03 @JeffW @Sailormoon2 @pixarmom @whaler8 @princess_jamie @steph0808 @Princess KP @CherieFran @BikeFan @Chaitali @Nole95 @bananabean @AbbyJaws2003 @DVCFan1994 @Dopey Devon @DisneyRay @IamTrike @team weasel @croach @Baloo in MI @Dis5150 @PCFriar80 @Aspenmarie82 @LindseyJo22 @cavepig @ChipNDale86 @Dis_Yoda @drummerwife @drummerhusband @jmasgat @OldSlowGoofyGuy @sourire @Keels @FFigawi @LadyDi13 @hauntedcity @bellanotte10 @metluver @Davidg83 @jAcKs_x0 @Diskidatheart @slp1650 @RENThead09 @courtneybeth @Anisum @Jescue @cburnett11
I don't think I posted my goals in February, but #1 was to stay injury-free so I could run it this year - so far so good!!! I've only done one other marathon (the Disney marathon in 2016), and my other goal was to beat my time by even 1 second. I'm not sure if I can do that, but if the weather cooperates I may have a shot.

For those that ran the marathon in 2016, does it seem possible that the weather conditions could be worse this year? I believe at the start of the race it was 98 percent humidity and 69 degrees!

My goals from February are still on track! Aside from these last couple of weeks, I was the most diligent I’ve ever been about training, so I’m definitely going to finish in a better time than 2015 unless something catastrophic happens during the race.

I’ve always separated “real” PRs from Disney PRs because I like to take my time, stop for pictures, etc. I just realized that my goal time for this race is right around the time that I did the Philly 2014 full in, which is the race I injured myself in 6 weeks before Disney 2015. So, there’s actually a chance that I end up with a marathon PR and not just a “Disney PR”.

I’m definitely on track to hit AK right around open for Everest and will absolutely be getting frosty beverages along the course, so those goals are definitely still in my sights!

Sorry, @bananabean, for your loss. I know the feeling of just wanting to stay in bed, but I am glad you are planning to keep on going. Best wishes to you and your family.

@DopeyBadger Thanks for all your spreadsheet work. Looking forward to seeing you again this year. I hope I can talke to your mother too! I think we have sons about the same age. LOL

I'm excited to yell out congrats to you from the finish line again! My mom should be at all the pre-race meetings. I doubt she will leave my side very much until we enter the corrals.

Wow. The version of myself in February to now is so different. I wish I could tell the me from 11 months ago of all that I accomplished, but my goals are slightly modified.

Yes, still doing the 15 min mile for the first three races. But wow my first marathon ended up already happening and I got 5:31, 90 mins faster than I anticipated. Girl, you have worked so hard this year that this is your victory lap! And hahaha, this is not your “one and done” marathon you have at least three more next year in Tokyo, Boston and Berlin!

It’s funny how much perspective can change in almost a year. I’m really pleasantly surprised with my growth. :)

Id like to think Im a smart guy but I cant seem to find how to link this anywhere. Do they send out instructions at a later date?

Go here https://mydisneyphotopass.disney.go.com/
Select Disney World, log in, select add photopass card, enter photopass code
082708C1-6534-45A5-9008-5AD5AC7EC3E0.png

OR
On the app
Scroll down to photos and select link photos, then select scan to link then select Enter a photopass ID & put code

Codes are on the event guide (below)and will be on back of bib.
THe Xs are your bib number, if number isn’t long enough use 0s at the beginning

967AA0BA-C32D-4F63-94C5-7CEC2C2BCA8F.png

Last edited:
Wow, my goals are pretty much the same.

Finish. Enjoy it. Beat my time from 2013.

I would like a PR (sub-4:36), but I'd rather have fun. I'm also sick, can't run without hacking up a lung, and have only done 9 miles all week.

There are a lot of years left for PRing. I don't have to do everything right now.

WOW I totally forgot we did this, so much life has happened since then. Here are my goals:

1. Really stick to my training plan (thanks dopeybadger) While I'm not currently on an official dopeybadger plan, I definitely stuck to my training much more this year than last (which included many weekends saying no to plans because I needed to sleep/not be hungover for a long run the next day) and I was super encouraged/inspired by his knowledge and advice. Literally every time I drink chocolate milk after a run I think of him
2. PR the half and the full (fingers crossed)
3. Finish at least one race in the top 50 of my age category (fingers crossed)
4. Continue the same race morning routine (I'm on it!)
5. Convince my mom to come to race weekend to watch me finish (She's coming this year and she bought the CHEAR Squad!!)
6. Don't doubt yourself or lose sight of why you love to run (I'll be honest it was rough getting back into the swing of my training but once I found my groove I really never doubted myself).

And since we are making goals I hope to figure out:
1. What I want to do with my life (I'm 90% of the way there, which is much better than the 3% I was at in February)
2. Where I want to live this figured out life (DONE!!)
3. How to love the person I am inside and out (this is the only one I'm still struggling with, but I'm working on it!)

Thankful to see this reflection and how much I have grown!! :)

My goals are pretty similar ... I don’t know that I’ll go for the time I had in the 5K (though that’s what I hit at Fall Feast), and I’m just not motivated to attempt a PR in the 10K right now - characters were great and I felt like I missed out on some this year and I want to blaze out of my RunDisney career with #NoRegerts.

Half and full are exactly the same.

Well since we're less than two weeks from the start of the 2018 Marathon Weekend I thought it would be as good a time as ever to dig this up! So way back on February 15th, 2017 (right after registration day) I posed the questions as to what your Marathon Weekend Goals are:

1) My wife and I are bringing the family to a runDisney weekend for the first time. So Goal #1 is to complete the 5K as a family.
2) Complete my first Dopey!
3) No time goals, but I do want to ride Everest. We were too fast this year, and got to AK before the rides opened. We'll take it easier next year.

Everything is still looking good. My mom unfortunately won’t be able to do the 5k with us, but she’s still coming along to watch the kids for the rest of the races.

Jen and I have been very slow in our training, so goal 3 looks pretty safe, too. :tiptoe:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter