• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

@OldSlowGoofyGuy I'm sorry to hear about everything you're going through and I wish you the best. I hope you were able to get out for a run and get some time for yourself - I know from seeing my mom helping my grandmother over the last few months that it's still important to take care of yourself, too.

I hope you were able to get out for a run and get some time for yourself

I got my run in and it was glorious. It was the first time I'd been outside (except to and from the car) in a week. I saw a coyote. I sweated honest sweat instead of nervous sweat. I smelled stink runner smells instead of hospital smells.

We moved my mom to a care facility 2 nights ago. I won't go into the exact diagnosis, but she's not coming home and she's not getting any better.

Now that the situation is stabilized, my Dopey start chances are increasing. Don't mistake 'stabilized' for 'good'.

I got my run in and it was glorious. It was the first time I'd been outside (except to and from the car) in a week. I saw a coyote. I sweated honest sweat instead of nervous sweat. I smelled stink runner smells instead of hospital smells.

We moved my mom to a care facility 2 nights ago. I won't go into the exact diagnosis, but she's not coming home and she's not getting any better.

Now that the situation is stabilized, my Dopey start chances are increasing. Don't mistake 'stabilized' for 'good'.
This is so hard I know. I hope you can have some peace if not the outcome you want.

Re goals, they've always been 'have fun, get medals' for Disney races, even more so for this coming marathon weekend. This will be my first Dopey, and as long as I can get up in time to make the race starts, I'll be fine.

More importantly, I'm going to be happy watching friends and family complete some big personal milestones. For my mom, she'll be running her first half at age 75, and is likely to place top-3 in her age group (honestly, not a lot of contenders in the F75-79 group), and my sister-in-law will hopefully finish her first half as well. She entered the 2016 Donald Half but developed plantar fasciitis during training. She still started the race with her foot in a boot, but got swept at Mile 8. She was bummed about getting swept, but was amazed at how much support and encouragement she got from all the other runners out on the course as they passed by. (Y'all are some good people! :love:) She ran the 10K at Princess weekend this year, and hopefully finishes the half in 2018. Also running the half will be my oldest brother and my youngest brother's wife, but they've done that distance before, so no worries about them.

In the full, my wife, son, and brother-in-law will be finishing their first full, and crossing the line with them is my biggest goal. None of them were runners when I first started running, but they saw how much fun I was having doing these races and got sucked in. (There may have been some badgering involved as well. OK, a LOT of badgering. But still... :teeth:) Seeing them cross the line is definitely going to be the highlight of the weekend. Also in the full will be my youngest brother and a running club buddy, but they've done the distance before, so they'll be fine. If all of us finish happy and healthy, then all my goals will have been met. Good luck, everyone!

This is such a difficult situation. I hope you can find peace by remembering the good times, and staying strong throughout the ordeal. Hope you make it to Dopey and get to smell the victorious runner stink that comes with it! Blessings.

Marathon Weekend goals, mine were..
"I accomplished my first goal of registering for Dopey 2018. It was a goal of mine to do something I never thought I could accomplish as to push myself. Overall my goal will be to work hard and have fun with the journey of getting ready for Dopey so that I can truly enjoy each and every race that weekend and finish every race with a smile and fist pump."

Work Hard - Check
Have Fun - Check -except since Dec 2nd (see below)
Enjoy Every Race and Finish Every Race - I hope so!
The fist pump might end up being tears of joy if I truly do accomplish this.

Now that I have had a pretty bad calf injury on Dec 2nd and still getting therapy my new goal is to at least get to the starting line. Friends and family are asking if I am still going to attempt the 4 Dopey races and my response is that I feel I have to, as I am staying positive. I'll take it one race at a time and go slow and easy and I think I'll be OK. My Dr. seems to think I can do it as well if I don't push too hard. I don't want almost a full year of training to be ruined and I am staying positive with a good attitude.

Looking forward to meeting some of you at the STARTING line(s)!

Two years ago this spring we had to put my Father-in-law in hospice. He was dying from cancer. He had been living with us for almost three years and had become a member of the immediate family. It was so hard to work through the concepts of “he will not get better”. He was very young, only 61! It was a very hard time, but he wanted us to keep living our lives. This included a week away in WDW. We weren’t going to go, but he insisted. We texted pictures, videos and visited his favorite places in the parks. It did not change things but it was a momentary break, self care and in a lot of ways a celebration of him.

I can’t know what you are going through but I share this only to say I am so sorry. I hope WDW works out and you get time to run, it helps. Sending you positive thoughts.

I cannot imagine the tough time you must be having. Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter